Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

New FDNY TDAs

10 posts in this topic

Sunday will make 90 days since the TDA bids were closed. Usually rumors on the winner slip out before this point. So, anyone hear anything??

I've been wondering the same thing. Aren't the Squad's out for bid as well?

Who else but Seagrave bid? Ferrara does not have tiller yet.

Smeal has been building TDAs now so the set up it there. You may see a Ferrara TDA in the future if they see fit to build one.

Pierce Maybe???

Smeal has been building TDAs now so the set up it there. You may see a Ferrara TDA in the future if they see fit to build one.

Our Ferrara salesman has been telling us about their "tiller in development" for about 4 years now...have yet to see anything.

Just curious, how do they determine which areas a tiller would work best in over a convential rear mount? And has FDNY replaced any tiller companies apparatus with a tower ladder or rear mount?

And Ferrara hasn't done a lot of things before.....but if they needed to I bet they would build a tiller. I'm almost positive they'll throw their hat in the ring for the Squads and the next round of Engines.

I don't know how they initially chose the areas, but they have attempted to replace tillers in the past. Sometimes successful, others not so much. From time to time tillers are replaced with rear mount spares. I'm not sure how deep the tiller spare fleet is.

I heard 34 truck has a prepiped water way? Any truth in this?

It had a section of pre piped waterway. Tillers are determined by the neighborhood. How tight the streets are. I'll give an example, Richmond Hill/Ozone Park in Queens. Ladder 143 is a tiller, and, actually I don't think you can fit a rear mount or tower ladder in that house. they run in with 151 in Forest Hills, and 142 to the south. There are blocks around 143's quarters where I don't think 142 can make the block.

Ladders 173, 151, and 40 were replaced with rear mounts in the late 90's. Out of those three, only 40 has gotten a new tiller, and plans are to replace both 151 and 173 with rear mounts. I can think of other tillers that were replaced with rear mounts in the early 80's, and 84 Truck in Staten Island was given a rear mount from a tower ladder about 5 years ago.

Edited by JBE
x635 likes this