Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Nextels

10 posts in this topic

I'm noticing more and more agencies that aren't using Nextel anymore.

I dumped them after months of horrible customer service, and have been a happy AT&T customer. AT&T has a PTT feature, but I have no clue how it works. I miss the Nextel Direct Connect convienence, and wish they would open up the technology to other carriers.

I'm noticing more and more agencies that aren't using Nextel anymore.

I dumped them after months of horrible customer service, and have been a happy AT&T customer. AT&T has a PTT feature, but I have no clue how it works. I miss the Nextel Direct Connect convienence, and wish they would open up the technology to other carriers.

If you have an iPhone or an Andriod phone, try an app called "TIKL" works almost as good as Nextel and it's a free app. Been using it for a while now and it's not bad. It's cross platform between iPhone and Android too and offers group's up to 10 user's I believe. No BB app yet although they say it's coming.

Verizon Wireless has had the same technology for years now too, they started when Nextel was at the peak of their popularity as a form of competition. They have several different push to talk phones.

Nextel is being dropped by Sprint next year I believe.

Nextel is being dropped by Sprint next year I believe.

Is it as soon as next year? The guy that I deal with for my cell said 2013... Whatever it is they sure aren't as good as they used to be! strange thing is I hear Boost mobil is going to keep the PTT feature and they seem to be an up and coming carrier with the best deals right now. I'm thinking of switching to them because of the $50 a month everything plan they offer compared to sprints $100 a month plan. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

I think Sprint from the onset of the merger was just going to do whatever to get more and more people of nextel. Their phones suck and are always behind the technology currents. I don't miss my nextel at all...loved my EVO from the start

Boost Mobile is owned by Sprint Nextel. The Iden technology is to be replaced in 2013, by a "massive network upgrade." So glad I no longer use Sprint, their service is legendary....and not in a good way

I was told by the end of 2012, so it could be 2013 if that is the offical date. I got rid of Sprint long ago, horible service and even more horible customer service. And yet I still believe they pay off Consumer Reports to have thier grades fixed to show better. And that was with both a Nextel Hybrid and a regular Sprint phone.

Sprint is phasing out the old Nextel iDEN network beginning in 2013, but already has a working PTT, branded Sprint direct-connect, (formerly Qchat) and is featured in certain Sprint CDMA phones. For now it crosses-over and works great (for me) with existing Nextel iDEN customer equipment.

When iDEN cell site equipment is retired they'll have to move everyone over, one way or another. I guess people are going to have to buy new phones to continue using PTT service.

The upcoming Sprint complete network overhaul is being called Network Vision.

My job has given me a Nextel to communicate and other than the direct connect feature, the thing might as well be a tin can with some string attached.