Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Mayor Bloomberg to close 20 fire companies

69 posts in this topic

46 or 60?....... and there would be no way that esu would ever be allowed to do fire supression.. it is already a battle on mva extracations and putting divers in the water. If you do that you would have duplication of services and someone would lose there job. ESU was formed during the war years i believe to help with some services for the fire department i not to sure on that someone can correct me if im wrong

No, NYPD ESU was not formed during the "war years" to assist in fire suppression duties. They have been the NYPD "SWAT" team for years, and do bridge jumper jobs and assist the Bomb squad w/ suspicious packages,etc. They have SCBA which is carried for use in contaiminated atmospheres (old DOA jobs;confined space jobs,etc). Now that NYPD is officially in charge of HazMat they have another reason to have SCBA. ESU has never been trained by FDNY to assist in fire duties. After FDNY Rescue 1 carried PO LaSala ESU Truck#1 from a burning bldg on 20th st. in the early 80's, PD requested training and bunker gear, but it was denied. ESU is great at what they do, but when duplication of services starts to expand, problems will multiply.

NYPD ESU was formed in the 1920's, but that is for another thread.

Sadly 10570, is right, Bloomberg will look to close another 20 companies in the next budget. Hopefully the City Council can continue to override him, until he is out of office.

M' Ave likes this

Has anyone else heard the rumor that the City was going to eliminate all squad companies?

Has anyone else heard the rumor that the City was going to eliminate all squad companies?

I hope not!

Sounds a little ludircrous, since Squads were created for the potential of Haz Mat Incidents in the city.

There was a book out about 30 years ago called "Some Very Special Men" about the Hx of NYC ESU. It was in the library when I was just a weee buff. It could still be out, and would answer the question.

Squads got some more regular responsibilities, but they're not going anywhere. There's no big savings in turning them back into engines and none were on the close list

Squads got some more regular responsibilities, but they're not going anywhere. There's no big savings in turning them back into engines and none were on the close list

And what are some NYC residents most concerned about? (this is not a cross posts, it relates to a sentence in a seperate thead I posted.