Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

GRE PSR-800 Scanner-No Need To Program Frequencies

8 posts in this topic

Seems like a pretty cool scanner, especially when traveling!

Hear all of the action in your area without the complicated programming of frequencies. A built-in SD™ card pre-programmed with a database of all known analog and digital (Project 25) public-service trunked systems as well as many conventional frequencies.

http://www.scannermaster.com/GRE_PSR_800_Police_Scanner_p/30-501608.htm//

If you have an android phone, you can download a free app called scanner radio. You can tune into police/fire/ems all over the world and locally you can tune into 60 Control, Westchester County Police, NYS Thruway Authority, White Plains Police, Fire, and EMS, Mamaroneck/Larchmont Police Fire and EMS and many many more. I recently traveled to Rhode Island for a couple days and was able to still listen to 60 Control clearly with no issues.

I have that on my Blackberry. I'm still old school...I like to have a scanner so I have my phone available for other things. I always want to do fire scene photography, but I always miss jobs.

I think this is the best they can do to compete with the Uniden Home Patrol...

GRE usually comes out with some good products but the Home Patrol is the best I have seen yet. People I know who have it have say that it's reception sensitivity is the best of any scanner out there.

I was a uniden only guy till I bought my radio shack pro-106 (gre psr 500) the radio is great. Home patrol is also a good radio, m what I was reading there may be a problem with battery charging with it, which I am sure uniden will correct. I don't ever charge my batteries in my radio anyway. The PSR seems like a great radio, all that needs to be done is to keep the database the radio has in its card current off of radio reference or some other scanner site. Just an FYI Radio Shack is also promoting this scanner and may already have it on sale as the pro-18. I myself like scanners you can program on the fly which while a small challenge, I can still do with a pro-106 the psr 800 is too reliant on systems in it's database so if you want to listen to something that's not in it, you may have an issue. It's also too mp3ish for me. but for someone who doesn't know that much about scanners or a complete newbie, the psr-800 is great.

Joe

I'm waiting to see if Home Patrol comes out in a second generation or a portable model. Anybody know anything about that?

Seth,

www.radioreference.com has a guy on there from uniden. a couple of weeks ago someone asked about a home patrol 2 and was told that the hp1 is so new, they haven't thought about replacing it. he did also say however that it is unidens policy that they do not discuss new models of scanners to be released until 3 months prior to their actual release. Just another FYI, someone was saying that connecticut freqs they were looking for weren't in the database and sure enough, the database in the hp1 was from 7 months ago and the frequency was changed 4 months ago. it was no big deal all that had to be done was go online and update the database. As with anything else though, when you get something new, it doesn't always mean right up to date, so my suggestion is to just update the database for the heck of it upon purchase. I also know that there is already a firmware update out there for the hp1 from uniden. as far as keeping units up to date, uniden has awesome support. they just released an update for the bc796 and that scanner has been off the market since what 2004?

Edited by joetnymedic