Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Bail Out System Designs

13 posts in this topic

Not looking for a pissing match as to what particular manufacturer's sytems, just looking to discuss the pro's and con's of different systems in how they are carried and deployed.

My department is looking to upgrade to the Scott with the EZ-Scape (I think that is what they are looking at). We currently are not issued any sort of system or rope, so it is a great step that we have a Chief that cares enough to do this.

So I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly of different systems;

Integrated SCBA

Seperate System carried in a pouch (Petzl, etc)

Rope wrapped around the Gemtor hook

Or my preferred method, the good ole body belay.

I STILL maintain that under extreme duress, the fastet method of personal escape is the body belay. I honestly think, that even if equipped with the best bailout system designed, I would revert to the body belay in a time of crisis.

So let's hear it - what are your thought and experiences. There are guys out there that know FAR more that I on this. Thanks.

Yonkers has a new system which integrates well with their gear. Maybe if you ask nicely one of their members will post a pic or two. I like the Sterling F4 for its simplicity.

Yonkers has a new system which integrates well with their gear. Maybe if you ask nicely one of their members will post a pic or two. I like the Sterling F4 for its simplicity.

maybe if you ask nicely ?? was there any indication otherwise

After being trained on the Petzel Exo system, the body belay is absolutely not faster and as far as safety is concerned there's no comparison between the two. I have only been trained on the body belay and then the Petzel system so I can't speak on any other systems.

There are alot of different factors to look at as bad as it sounds if your in a smaller department costs being one of them. When I was introduced to the scott intagrated system I said to my self this would work perfect for a smaller department since you only outfit the packs so lets say 25 packs with fifty interior guys cuts the amount in half. Also mantaining the equipment you only have to inspect those systems which are readily available because they are apart of the scba instead of trying to get everyones personal systems together. Last pro of the day even though I am sure I could talk more on this the ff dosent have to think about keeping that other system with their gear if you washed your gear and didn't get it back on for some reason your sol but with the pack system its on as soon as you put the pack on done deal but it comes down to what works the best for your department best I can say have reps from each system bring somthing to try out that's the only way to find out whats the best.

maybe if you ask nicely ?? was there any indication otherwise

No.

I agree that the use of and EXO, F4 or other decent device is as fast or faster than a body belay with the added benifit of control.

Realize that however you package it, it is not possible to hide 50 feet of rope if that is what you decide to go with. So there will be some complaints about the added bulk.

I was one of the members for YFD who tested numerous devices and fitment. Petlz xo, sterling F1, and cmc escape artist all work just fine. Oh and the Deus. Just personal preferance. Make sure you choose a high heat and high abrasive rope like the sterling f-32 along with of course, a hook like crosby. The crosby hook seemed to stay in place better then the nars hook. Cmc has a new hook that was not available when we did the testing. We chose to store our pes in a right leg pocket. We feel it is easier to access and deploy. Lumbar storage seemed to be cumbersome with the airpack and turnout coat and more difficult to reach. Just personal preferance. Keep in mind you will notice the added weight on the leg if you are not accustomed to having leg pockets filled with rope or tools which our members are. Maybe R1 smokeeater will post some pics.

batt2 and 16fire5 like this

Just personal preferance. Make sure you choose a high heat and high abrasive rope like the sterling f-32 along with of course, a hook like crosby.

If you think about the reality of a bailout the chance of clearing the window of all the glass is not plausible. Combine that with the potential for sharp objects or the window sill to damage the rope a very good case is made for the Sterling Fire Tech Rope.

Good info here - thanks for the input. Certainly swaying MY perception of the systems. I am still not at all sold on the SCBA integrated systems.....but dont have enough data on them to form a complete opinion.

I hope J posts up some pics. He does pretty good with that point and shoot..he just needs to break it out now and then on J O B S.

batt2 likes this

We have tested every system and found many of the statements to be accurate. We did have a few different experiences. We tried an SCBA system (F.F.R.E.D.). it worked very well when bailing out and we placed 2 in-service for field testing. At an incident a ff wearing this got off the rig grabbed the can and went to the building. After 50 feet he fell, turns out the rope got caught on the rig and deployed, after 50' he came to a sudden stop.

This is critical. Any systems needs to deploy quickly and without much effort, but at the same time NEVER hang you up (which could trap you).

We tried a number of different locations for the rope and ended up developping our own design for a lumbar bag. Everyone who tried it liked this system best. It is being custom made for us, but will be commercially available shortly.

New Morning Pride pants,with internal harness (leg straps run around leg inside the pants)

post-182-0-98927200-1307917163.jpg

post-182-0-13263800-1307917310.jpg

post-182-0-74755200-1307917388.jpg

post-182-0-51353500-1307917545.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater
batt2 and 16fire5 like this

Thanks for the pics Rescue 1. How do you like the system?