Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mymack1

Sleepy Hollow Aerial Oerations

7 posts in this topic

Sleepy Hollow FD welcomed back Michael Wilbur of Emergency Vehicle Response (www.emergencyvehicleresponse.com) for Aerial Operations Training on Saturday June 4th and Sunday June 5th.

Michael is truly amazing. Many thanks!

Mike Wilbur is a terrific instructor. He has a tremendous amount of real world experience as a 30 year career Firefighter & Lieutenant in F.D.N.Y. as well as a member of a volunteer department upstate for many years. Any part of a department's training budget that is spent on training given by Mike is money well spent.

Looks like a great class!

Just out of curiosity, can the Sutphen boom flow water at the angle in the first photo? Also, I love the precision game of getting the ball into the bucket.

Is it safe to presume dropping something in a garbage can is to test accuracy of bucket/aerial placement??

JBE .

Its not so much about being accurate with the bucket as its to teach the firefightera operating it wether in the bucket or at the turn table how to feather the hydralics and gain confidence using it in tight spots.

By feathering the hydralics i mean not jeking the ladder all over the place.

Mike Wilbur teaches a great class and is a wealth of knowledge.

Looks like a great class!

Just out of curiosity, can the Sutphen boom flow water at the angle in the first photo? Also, I love the precision game of getting the ball into the bucket.

Yes, the Sutphen's can flow water from that angle and about -6degrees as well. This is only when the boom is 90 degrees off the turntable. The newer cab designs and higher ladder racks and compartments diminish the angles working towards the rear of the truck.

We have flowed water several times at this angle, Matz lumber yard in Danbury as an example and during the CFA Aerial Operator Certification course.

I have done this with the ladder in my department....but i did it with traffic cones. first was to place the cone on the ladder on top of another cone.....then once that is mastered....try placeing one corner of the cone on the ladder to the tip of the traget cone. every operator had a very good time.

x129K likes this