Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDVA356

Montrose FDVA- Advanced Haz Mat Tech training

3 posts in this topic

In a way to better services provided to our Veterans and neighbors, the Montrose VAFD has recently completed the NYS Advanced Hazardous Materials Technician course. To assist the NYS Hazardous Materials Bureau, the class was conducted with 8 members of the Westchester County Hazardous Materials Response Team. The week long 40 hour+ class consisted of two mornings of class room time and the rest of the week was focused on suit time performing various grueling tasks, metering, Identification/Research, Evidence collection, Decon and other valuable educational ways to handle incidents. Various Simulators were on site to provide the students a hands on approach to utilize there skills which was provided by the NYS Haz Mat Bureau. Some of the new skills the course provides includes the following:

1) Chlorine Kits ( A, B and C kits)\

2) Hot Tapping and Cold Tapping

3) Transferring Liquids and gases

4) Containment

5) Bonding and Grounding operations

6) Evidence collection

The course was a success and I would like to the members of the Westchester County Team that were able to attend the class with the VAFD. I would also like to extend a Special Thanks to the NYS Haz Mat Bureau and there well educated/professional instructors. The class will benefit all who attended and will also provide a higher level of training and service to our Veterans and neighbors. Keep in mind FDVA is available 24/7 to serve anyone who requests.

**Side Note: Castle Point VAFD (Dutchess County) also conducted this level of training 2 years ago as well.**

James E. Ferguson

Assistant Chief

Montrose VAFD "Protecting Those Who Served"

Edited by FDVA356
PEMO3, BFD1054 and Bnechis like this

Congrates to you and all you fellow firefighters who took the class. I always wondered why your department is not called more often to assist in fires or other situation. Just wondering