Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Somers New Ladder 18

43 posts in this topic

Behind the firehouse.

great shot!

Edited by FD50

Any particular reason SFD went with the 95 instead of the 100? I think the 100 has better access to ladders and (yikes) hose bed where applicable

x129K likes this

The Somers F.D. went with the 95 ft because we replaced a 95 ft stuphen which worked very well for us.

all the somers F.D does a great job in the choice of trucks they choose. keep up the great work guys!

Edited by FD50

I don't think somers would need a 100 ft because the ladder can reach everything ( i think)

The question I believe didn't really revolve around the 95ft vs 100ft ladder as it was meant to ask why Somers didn't choose the SPH100 which has a bucket that doesn't hang as low in the back and allows for ground ladders to be stored through the rig as apposed to on the officers side of the rig. The SP95 does not have those options. It is essentially a two man job to get a ladder off of the SP95 where as one man can remove and throw ground ladders from the SPH100 by them selves.

Danger likes this

The question I believe didn't really revolve around the 95ft vs 100ft ladder as it was meant to ask why Somers didn't choose the SPH100 which has a bucket that doesn't hang as low in the back and allows for ground ladders to be stored through the rig as apposed to on the officers side of the rig. The SP95 does not have those options. It is essentially a two man job to get a ladder off of the SP95 where as one man can remove and throw ground ladders from the SPH100 by them selves.

Thank you sir, that is 100% percent what I was getting at.

I really do not know alot about the department but I had photographed this old American LaFrance Ladder Truck at a used fire apparatus dealership in Lancaster County Pa a while back. Was this Somers NY's old Ladder ??

post-20550-0-45011100-1329170595.jpg

firedude likes this

Yes, is ex-Somers Ladder 18, originally from Larchmont

I really do not know alot about the department but I had photographed this old American LaFrance Ladder Truck at a used fire apparatus dealership in Lancaster County Pa a while back. Was this Somers NY's old Ladder ??

Nice Picture!

Acording to Somers FD's Website (SomersVFD.com), this was their 1950 American la France 100' Aerial Ladder. This was also Larchmont's old Ladder. It served in Larchmont from 1950-1976 then was sold to Somers and was their ladder from 1976-2001.

Somers Retired Apparatus

Thank you for the info guys, I wonder where it is now. Hopefully in a good home

Any info on where it ended up?

Somers LOVED the SPH but due to height restrictions it would not fit in our firehouse