Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Port Chester deli manager, former White Plains firefighter, uses CPR to save man

5 posts in this topic

Port Chester deli manager, former firefighter, uses CPR to save man

11:42 PM, Jun. 24, 2011

Written by Rebecca Baker

PORT CHESTER — Saving lives isn't common for most supermarket deli managers, but Jim Cusumano is an exception.

Cusumano, a retired White Plains firefighter who works at the Pathmark on Midland Avenue, sprang into action when another employee collapsed and stopped breathing Friday morning. The 61-year-old said his training as a CPR instructor for the fire department allowed him to help the man hang on until paramedics arrived.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110625/NEWS02/106250334/Port-Chester-deli-manager-former-firefighter-uses-CPR-save-man?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

It's refreshing to read a good story in the papers about the fire service with all the bad press we have been getting recently. I worked with Jim on occasion shortly before he retired, and am not surprised by his actions or his modest response. I think these types of stories happen all the time, but sadly the papers don't want to cover it. Another reason may be the off duty/ retired emergency workers often provide lifesaving care, then fade into the crowd with modesty,without accolades. That's the type of people the fire service draws to it- people wanting to provide service to the community, and to help them in their time of need, with no desire to get attention for their actions. Great job Jim.

Thanks to LoHud for the good press

Alpinerunner, firedude and FFBlaser like this

Once this job is in your blood, it's there for the rest of your life. In fact, it is often passed on to your children. Good job, brother.

It's great to hear good press about the fire service. Awesome job Jim. My boss who is also retired WPFD and worked with Jim only had good things to say about Jim.