Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

M8 Training?

5 posts in this topic

Has your department received any type of information or training on the new type of trains that the MTA is putting on the rails, specifically the new M8s? It's not just sound shore departments on the New Haven Line but all of the MTA's lines. It seems to be a sore topic since not much training is conducted between the MTA and FDs. I guess the worst case scenario would be a train derailment, MCI. Is your department ready?

About the M8 (MTA website)

The safety systems on the M8 don't differ all that much from the M7a. Windows that are easily removed and areas to be cut by a saw are marked in the same manor.

My point is, there isn't too much need for M8 specific training, but all FD's should have at least some formal contact with the MTA Fire Brigade and some preparedness training. I've been a couple of times to the Highbridge Yard in the Bronx.

firedude likes this

The training that you speak of down in Highbridge is a on going class held for the FDNY. The Fire Training Center in Valhalla on occasion sponsors a Train Class, titled Passenger Train Course,or get in contact with the MTA Fire Brigade Chief to set up a Department class.

The training that you speak of down in Highbridge is a on going class held for the FDNY. The Fire Training Center in Valhalla on occasion sponsors a Train Class, titled Passenger Train Course,or get in contact with the MTA Fire Brigade Chief to set up a Department class.

Would you happen to have any of that contact info? I can't seem to find anything online.

I was a bit brief in my first response. It was a little late at nigh and I was sleepy...anyway...

More than specific training on one type of passenger car, training on rail operations should be (at least to a basic level) something that is part of a fire departments regular training schedule. I doubt there are many, if any, departments that don't have a piece of active rail in their response area. Westchester is served by 2 branches of Metro-North and the Northeast Corridor which is owned by Metro-North for it's New Haven Line operations and is used by Amtrak, CSX and the Providence and Worchester Railroad on a regular basis. The Hudson Line also carries a fair amount of freight daily, along with Amtrak Empire Service. All told, Metro North accounts for more than 600 trains per day and if you tack on a few dozen Amtrak trains, some freight and maintenance moves, we're probably in the ballpark of 700 railroad movements per day. That's gotta bring the chances of accident to a higher level. Some of these trains are moving at speeds approaching 100mph. Just consider the potential damage from something that weights nearly 1,000,000 lbs. moving at that speed. Do we have the Haz-Mat resources available? Are we aware of how to determine what cargo is aboard a freight train?

Everyone should have a loose familiarity with local rail operations. Sizing up a scene and determining what resources are needed and what's available will help to make the rest of the operation run a little smoother. After that, you can get into cargo mitigation, life-safety, lifting and anchor points, ect. ect.....and more stuff that's outta my scope of knowledge.

Monty likes this