Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Plain English And 60 Control?

61 posts in this topic

I've heard rumors that 60 Control is now using plain english.

I don't listen much, except for when I am at work, but it doesn't seem this way.

I know it has been talked about for a while a move this way, but anything official?

We are all suppose to use plain english, but old habits die hard; especially when the 10 codes are just easier to say.

Nothing official has come down the pike. But certain FD's (Bat 16's Turf) Have started using plain english.

I was at the Westchester DES Meeting where it was said that 60-Control was going to get away from 10-codes.

Chiefs were also told that the dispatchers at 60 were already told this, and they were not suppose to be repeating field unit's 10-codes or using them themselves anymore :-k

Departments around the county who attended this meeting were asked to make changes away from the 10-codes.

I have instructed my department to do so. This is to align with NIMS, which we are required to, by Executive Order from the Gov.

P.S.- We're in Batt 13 :-P

What typical Westchester BS. How about sending out a memo announcing the planned changed (which half the departments will say they can't tell us what to do anyway), and give a hard date that after this time there will be no acknowledgement in any manner of a 10 code.

In line with NIMS. We couldn't hit NIMS with a blimp if it was the rocky mountains in this area. The system from the ground up breeds inefficiency and lack of command. But then again that would take change and apparantly that isn't a word that is taught the meaning or spelling in this county.

Strange, I didn't hear anything 'official' on this...

I did notice Somers using the 10-codes a lot less, and I heard 2441 saying "have the ambulance come in code 2" today.

That's so cute, Somers wants to be like us!!!!! J/K Ed, by the way, how's things up there in Elephant Land?!

the powers that be want to change us over here in sydney australia to plain english radio transmissions,the police have used it for years except they still use code 3 for officer down,we in the fire dept changed our radio codes a while ago and got rid of lots of codes and only use codes for unit responding,unit on scene,calling off a unit responding and unit back in service everything else is know plain english made the dispatches job a bit harder ie it was a lot easier to say a car fire ext to send a code 14 now the unit has to say car ext and give the means of ext etc etc. 8)

It makes perfect sense to use PLAIN ENGLISH , say what you want ,say what you mean. There are too many different 10 codes- ie... PD, FD, EMS, they all overlap.

What does 10-19 mean ?

what does 10-84 mean?

What does 10-20 mean?

What does 10-75 mean ?

They all mean something different through out the county,

Keep It Simple- If you have a working fire, say You have a working fire, Give me a second alarm. Just a Thought.

I have to agree with you on this one pbvpm, usually i don't but you are so correct.

Plain english is the way to go. You'll understand everyone all the time.

Pain english is the way to go. That is what the county wants

i'm sure once the new radio system is in place plain english will work just fine but when we have alot of traffic on the air sometimes short and sweet is what you need. when you have a big incident going on you eat up alot of air space that may make a difference. the problem lies in the training of radio use. try to fix the problem instead of ignoring it! 8-[

Have to agree with mrbolz,

Train your personnel on how to use the radio. Whichever system the county decides to use doesn't matter. If you have been trained properly and know what your doing there shouldn't be a problem either way.

Weather your using 10 codes or plain english, mrbolz is right, TRAIN YOUR MEN!!! If someone cant just say Rig X is 10-17 when they are responding then how do you expect them to say RIG X is responding without eatting up too much air time. Personaly, I prefer to hear a 10 code because with radio communications spotty in some places in the county, its a little easer to undersand what is being transmitted. You not going to mistake 10-75 for anything else.

As a Somers member and a new dispatcher, I have to agree plain English is the way to go. Once adopted, there shouldn't be any more confusion as to who wants what, where and when. From what I have read, NY is one of the last bastions of the almighty 10-code. Coming from the military it's already tough enough re-learning comms, let's make it easy on everyone!

are you in service responding or just in service? we need clarification. plain english, have we solved the problem? people need to be trained to talk on radios weather it's 10 codes or plain english. :roll:

That comes down to several things. First is the person talking to give a message or to hear himself sound cool on the radio. Secondly does his department do anything to those that sound like a rectal orifice on the radio.

People forget the radio is a tool of the job, no different then handlines or hand tools. To do the job right you have to learn how to use the tools. The fire radio is not a CB and shouldnt be used like one.

Know what you want to say before you key the microphone, Say what needs to be said as consise as possible and make sure the person you are speaking to recieves and understands it.

Well said Ed. Well said. Plain english is the way to go and easier to memorize. =D> =D> =D> =D>

are you in service responding or just in service? we need clarification. plain english, have we solved the problem? people need to be trained to talk on radios weather it's 10 codes or plain english. :roll:

If you are responding, you aren't in service. (RIG ID) Responding is sufficient don't you think? I've heard a number of opinions on the use of In-Service when responding to a call but if you look at the 10-8 code, it means In-Service by radio. You can't be 10-17 and 10-8 at the same time ;-)

Regards..............

I personally have never heard 10-8, 10-17... but I guess someone could say the logic behind someone saying it would be thinking "we're responding... and you can reach us by radio" - I understand that... needed? no... but you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink :)

If you are responding, you aren't in service.

If you're not in service, then you shouldn't be responding. Of course you're in service if you are responding. I see what you are saying tho and think that everyone should just use the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). A simple "45Medic1 responding to, X Y Ave,...." is what I use.

The term "in service" is confusing becuase depending on where you are from it means the direct oppisite.

Usually In our tri county area, the old term "in service" means that you are actually responding to a call.

In NJ, PA, MD... when an officer calls fire control and "places the box in service" that means that each piece of apparatus on that box is now available to respond to another emergency. If an individual piece of apparatus is released before others are, the officer on that rig would usually say that Engine XYZ is "in service, returning, available"... or that they have been released, they are returning to quarters and they are available to respond again.... Or they may be in service, returning, and unavailable if they need to fill the booster tank pack hose etc... This way fire control knows not to dispatch that piece of apparatus until they become "available"

I dissagree, in service means that you are no longer responding or commited at an alarm. ie: "10-8 returning" meaning all clear and leaving the scene.

If we were having this conversation a few years ago you'd hear old-timers signing on the air using the term "in service" as responding.

take it from someone who works as a dispatcher in a very busy comms centre using codes for some things eg code 1 for responding to incident,code 3 for arrival at incident code 5 for return to quarters and a few others makes the dispatchers job so much easier and the cad system should be set up so just by putting these codes in all the details are logged,for example over here if engine 10 has arrived on scene of at a alarm i type in the cad E10/S/3 and the cad system puts the information that e10 is at the incident and logs the time.Yes plain english for sit reps and incident stop messages but codes for the run of the mill stuff. 8)

In service means just tha...IN SERVICE! AKA - Available for the next run. Not "my crew is here and we are responding".

No matter what you use...plain english or 10 codes there will allways be confussion and missunderstanding. There has to be a published list of codes or terms that has tobe sent out to everyone

My point is that it means different things to different people in different areas.

If you were to ask someone who was active 10 or 15 years ago, "what would you say over the radio to indicate you are responding in apparatus XYZ"... Their answer very well may be "Engine XYZ is in service".... To them the word "Service" means it's being used, operated, responding.

To myself and many others that are active in the service in the Tri County area today... When you hear that a piece of apparatus has been placed in service, it means that they have been released from the scene and they are now available for the next potential emergency.

Hmm. I smell another controversy brewing. :-> I guess the KISS method just works. If you say simply "Unit X Responding" you don't get involved in the whole in/out of service confusion.

Simple... in Onondaga County... (mainly ems, but sometimes fire too)

Going lights/sirens to a call: "XXX is RESPONDING *repeat address*"

Going to a call non-emergency (low priority for EMS/10-20 for fire): "XXX IS EN ROUTE *REPEAT ADDRESS*"

en route - you're moving somewhere

responding... utilizing an emergency response.

KISS. it works here.

If we were having this conversation a few years ago you'd hear old-timers signing on the air using the term "in service" as responding.

LOL, I hear it now....with our current older members.