Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Plain English And 60 Control?

61 posts in this topic

When a unit calls "in service, responding" it makes absolutely NO sense. You can't be in service (available for a call) & responding (enroute to an incident & therefore unavailable for another call) at the same time.

When a unit responds it should state unit xyz is responding. When clear from the call, it should state unit xyz is "in service", or if you prefer, "back in service". Really A VERY simple concept !!!!

I personally have never heard 10-8, 10-17...

YVAC Uses 10-8 10-17 when clearing a hospital.....hence why i sort of agree with plain english...it seems evey department has a different meaning for each 10 code

OK,

There has been no official notice that 60 Control is to use plain english.

As far as I am concerned You are RESPONDING. Not in service.

At the end of the call you are in service.

I was always instructed that either term was interchangable. If you're responding, you're responding; it's a little simpler that way. However, I always use the term "in service," since anything other than having the apparatus sitting in the bay not being used is, to me, having the apparatus in service. Out of service connotates that the unit is not being used; in service/responding connotates that the unit is being used at the present moment. That's just my little take on things...

In service - avalible for a response

Out of service - not availible

Examples: Clearing a scence of an emergency, you are 10-8, 10-2. In service, returning to quarters.

If a vehicle is down for maintanance it is out of service for maintanance. If a vehicle is committed to a special function, you are out of service on a special detail.

Truck 6018....

Agree with you 100%. In Service means a unit is available for a new call. If a unit is already responding, it's actually out of service/tied up (not available for a new call). Calling out "In service, responding" (or just "In service" when responding to a call) is contradictory.

A rig is in service when it's sitting in the bay waiting for a new call, when it clears a call and is available for another one, or when the rig returns from maintenance or a special detail, and is available for a new call.

Also, despite what the FD's in a certain battalion apparently were told/instructed recently....60-control DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the phrases "in service, responding" or "in service" (when used to call out responding to a call). 60-control dispatchers do recognize "responding" as the plain language way of saying a unit is enroute to a call, and "in service" as stating that a unit is available for a new call.

AS I listen to different department use 10 codes I hear some departments use NYC 10 codes and others use County 10 codes. I think clear text is as simple as it can get.

the simplest way would be for everyone just to follow the rules 60 control tells you to

firemn23 that is the whole problem they do not tell us or actually the ego you can't tell me what to do kicks in while a lot of dept's or some members say this, it won't change. Leadership from within will, needs to be stated what they want to do all the chiefs need to agree to do it when some of the non complient members do not, instead of letting it go let them have it. The life you be saving could be your own. everyone's ego needs to go toe the line and lets all do it.

I think one major problem with 10 codes is there are so many in the county. Either go to plain english or 1 universal 10 code for all ems/fd/pd. Which I feel is unrealistic

If we do go plain english, hopefully we can at least keep "10-4". I mean that one is pretty much universal.

No your gonna have to say message recieved

Hmm. I smell another controversy brewing. :-> I guess the KISS method just works. If you say simply "Unit X Responding" you don't get involved in the whole in/out of service confusion.

"Roger That"

:wink: Simple to say. Engine 41 Responding.

When returning to station simply say " Engine 41 In service returning to 1/4's" :wink:

Engine 41 Responding. When returning to station simply say    " Engine 41 In service returning to 1/4's" :wink:

You can even drop the whole "returning to quarters" bit. Once you're in service, you're available for the next one. In very few agencies do the Dispatchers need to know you are back in quarters.

It's one of my peeves in life. Nobody cares, 90% of the time, that you are back in quarters.

In very few agencies do the Dispatchers need to know you are back in quarters.

Come to work with me sometime. Nothing pi$$es me off more when a unit fails to put themselves available/AQ and then calls up and complains when they miss something. And believe me, it is a very common occurence.

When you're responsible for dispatching only 1 career FD, such as City of Poughkeepsie, I can see where you may want to know when a unit is back in quarters...and I believe that's the practice up there.

However, for a dispatch center such as 60-control or Dutchess 911, dealing with multiple FD & EMS agencies, career and volunteer, & using multiple dispatch/response frequencies...the whole "back in quarters" issue creates only extra work & more importantly, excess radio traffic during sometimes already extremely heavy radio traffic such as when there's a storm in the area or multiple incidents ongoing.

As a dispatcher, I generally don't need to know if you're in quarters, only that you're in service & available for the next call. In Dutchess, it's actually policy that units calling back in quarters aren't even acknowledged if they're already called back in service...as the unit is then wasting valuable radio air time.

Totally agree....

If you're available it doesn't matter where in your territory you are...

The other thing that drives me nutz is when an IC clears all apparatus from the scene and announces that they are returning, but then half the rigs feel the need to call individually. If everyone is available and returning as per the IC, then leave it at that.

I agree with plain english, BUT (yes thats the big but) not if you have an emergency, you might not want to say send police if that could make someone get/or become more aggresive toward you, or your partner

here here jbe happens over here a lot also usully after a unit has been off line doing a drill etc then they think lets not tell dispatch we are now available for a while so we can have some down time,then a job come in in a area they would have gone and we don't send them becacuse we think there still out of service,dont they have a whinge i usua lly send the complaint to there batt chief so he can find out why they didn't book backalso on line,they always blame the watch duty man. 8)

Totally agree....

If you're available it doesn't matter where in your territory you are...

The other thing that drives me nutz is when an IC clears all apparatus from the scene and announces that they are returning, but then half the rigs feel the need to call individually.  If everyone is available and returning as per the IC, then leave it at that.

I just love it when the IC says, "All vehicles clearing the scene momentarily" You are either clear or you are not clear,...clear? lol I agree with you on the vehicles feeling the need to call returning after the IC has already made the call. Guess they like using the Mic. ](*,)

I agree with plain english, BUT (yes thats the big but) not if you have an emergency, you might not want to say send police if that could make someone get/or become more aggresive toward you, or your partner

this is a good point the ten codes are good because only the trained and qualified people will know them, same with a big fire any moron with a scanner can listen in and hear and understand everything that is happening with plain english it is a little harder with 10 codes

My opinion: use all 10 codes, saves radio traffic ( shorter messages) and use plain english only for specific information. It will keep down on outsiders knowing information and will make sure personnel keep up and learn the codes.

I have worked full time for 3 years and don't know the 10 codes. I was asked but 60 to is I could 10-1 I told them I didn't know if I could. They then asked me why on the nextel and I told them I didn't know what that ment. I was never given the 10 codes by my employer, I used English, believe it or not they understand and answer me

"45Medic1 responding to, X Y Ave,...." is what I use.

If u were dispatched to that address, don't u think the dispatcher knows where u are going? Going back to x635's previous discussion the repeating of the address is just unnecessary, kind of a waste of air time. This is especially true when u as the dispatcher are waiting to hear units sign on to cover the ambulance.

Obviously, if you dispatched the units out, you should know where the call is. The point of units repeating the location back to you when responding is to verify that they got it right.

As a dispatcher, I never have a problem when a unit repeats the address of the incident back to me. There have been several times recently where a responding unit has repeated back an...incorrect...address, and I was able to correct him before he ended up at the wrong spot, which would have delayed his response to someone in need of help.

As a dispatcher, I never have a problem when a unit repeats the address of the incident back to me.  There have been several times recently where a responding unit has repeated back an...incorrect...address, and I was able to correct him before he ended up at the wrong spot, which would have delayed his response to someone in need of help.

On March of the wooden soldiers: Santa Claus asked for 600

1 foot soldiers- Instead he received 100 6 foot soldiers. lol #-o

Speaking of wrong address who would be responsible if a unit went to the wrong address? I know for a fact in the public perception it is not the dipatcher. So until I hear a court case were a dispatcher is found liable for a unit going to the wrong location I am repeating the addresses.

What gets me is how a unit calls 10-17 then asks for number and location again. How can you call responding if you dont know where you are even going?

Plain English = Confusion. With all the different ways to say the same thing in our language, coupled with all the fine gentlemen who absolutely love to hear themselves talk, plain english is going to turn into a try-out for the Jerry Lewis telethon. What the hell is so hard about learning 10 codes? I mean really, this is not rocket science. I think the fact that people are concerned that people who are supposed to be intelligent enought to protect life and property cannot actually remember 10 codes is laughable.

What really bothers me more then the plain english or 10 code arguement is the fact that other agencies have to step all over you. Ok sometimes they may not be able to hear it, but when its the next dept over, and your talking on a truck radio. Drives me nuts!