Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Loud412

Telegraph sounds over FDNY dispatch frequencies

7 posts in this topic

I am just curious as to what these sounds signify. I often hear what sounds like morse code type of signaling over any of th FDNY boro frequencies and have not been able to find any information as to what it means.

They way I understand it there is a little know FCC regulation that ststes all radio stations identify themselves every 15 minutes. This can be done via voice, recorded voice, or morse code. If your a fan of "Emergency" who could here them annouce the FCC Station license every once in a while. The only place in know in the tri state area that uses voice recordings is Hunterdon County, NJ, "KYQ-553 Hunterdon".

Edited by NJMedic1123

If your a fan of "Emergency" who could here them annouce the FCC Station license every once in a while.

KMG 365! :)

KMG 365! :)

I could never understand why the Station used those numbers unless each fire station was a transmitter site under under a seperate license. They never answered the radio when the got a job while they were on the road.

I could never understand why the Station used those numbers unless each fire station was a transmitter site under under a seperate license. They never answered the radio when the got a job while they were on the road.

Well, it's a TV show. They would always answer the callsign prior to responding. Also, according to the fan site(http://www.emergencyfans.com/general_info/FAQ.htm), the code is(or was) valid.

They way I understand it there is a little know FCC regulation that ststes all radio stations identify themselves every 15 minutes. This can be done via voice, recorded voice, or morse code. If your a fan of "Emergency" who could here them annouce the FCC Station license every once in a while. The only place in know in the tri state area that uses voice recordings is Hunterdon County, NJ, "KYQ-553 Hunterdon".

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/pdf/47cfr90.425.pdf

FCC - § 90.425 Station identification.

Stations licensed under this part shall transmit identification in accordance with the following provisions:

(a) Identification procedure. Except as provided for in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section' date=' each station or system shall be identified by the transmission of the assigned call sign during each transmission or exchange of transmissions, or once each 15 minutes (30 minutes in the Public Safety Pool) during periods of continuous operation. The call sign shall be transmitted by voice in the English language or by International Morse Code in accordance with paragraph (B) of this section.

(B) Use of automatic Morse code identification equipment. Automatically activated equipment may be used to transmit station identification in International Morse Code pursuant to the following conditions:

(1) The signal output of the automatic identification equipment shall be connected to the transmitter at the microphone input or any other manufacturer- provided signal input terminal and shall be adjusted to produce 40 percent ±10 percent of the maximum permissible modulation or deviation level. This adjustment shall be performed when all other modulating signals are absent.

(2) The Morse code transmission rate shall be maintained between 20 and 25 words per minute.

(3) The frequency of the keyed tone comprising the identification signal shall be 1200 ±800 Hz. A licensee may be required to change the frequency in order to prevent interference to the operations of another co-channel licensee.

(4) Should activation of automatic Morse code identification equipment interrupt the communications of another co-channel licensee, the Commission may require the use of equipment which will delay automatic station

identification until such co-channel communications are completed.

[/quote']

City of Poughkeepsie has the Morse Code Identifier.