Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Westchester Airport Terminal Conditions and Construction

24 posts in this topic

This is why the airport can't expand, for people like this.

Rye Brook, NY (Patch.com):

Leader of Rye Brook's Airport Advisory Committee says expansion efforts at Westchester County Airport are disguised as renovations, paving the way for larger aircraft and more noise. County Legislator Marty Rogowsky disputes the claim.

Neighbor: Renovations Will Bring More Traffic, Noise to County Airport (Full Article)

This is what is planned for construction:

the following projects are planned to begin over the next two years:

1.An electrical upgrade that will accommodate increased use of electronic equipment and a new de-icing system, which will relocate de-icing fluid tanks underground on the south terminal side of the airport. To accommodate the tanks, relocation of the rental car and employee parking lots was started in late June.

2.A proposal to create passenger walkways and jet bridges. Chemka said the purpose of these enclosed walkways is to move passengers away from de-icing equipment and baggage tugs and to provide better access to passengers in wheelchairs and others would have difficultly boarding planes from outside. Chemka said the bidding process for this project is set to begin this August.

3.A terminal upgrade project would use the current observation deck as office space for airport employees. A new observation deck would be built, which would offset crowding in the departure lounge, which Chemka said causes public safety concerns.

4.Construction of a second floor family bathroom and redesign of current restroom facilities.

5.The addition of a building on the north side of the terminal for the offices and baggage screening facilities of the TSA, which Chemka said must authorize these plans. She noted that the new building would allow the airport to "reclaim baggage screening space for ticketing and passenger comfort."

Nothing here seams like it would attract Larger and louder planes.

This is David Gelfarb's response to the above article:

County Legislator Rogowsky's final (and, unfortunately, flippant) comment ignores the importance and sensitivity of this issue to residents of the airport's surrounding communities. Even modest airport 'upgrades' can easily serve as precursors to expansion and as invitations to airlines and the County to add flights and capacity. While improvements in comfort and safety for existing airport patrons may be necessary, the plans outlined extend significantly beyond simply expanding bathroom capacity and, in fact, encompass large structural changes. These types of decisions should not be taken lightly.

David Gelfarb

Candidate, County Legislature, District 6

(Harrison, Port Chester, Rye Brook)

Does anybody know if the construction at HPN has been stoped due to budget issues?

Edited by firedude

As far as Westchester HPN, it has always been behind where it needs to be. (Anyone remember the Quonset hut?).Part of this is because of the NIMBY's who failed to do due dilligence when looking for a home.

Correct.

As far as parking, even though land is short, I'm sure there are companies who would love to lease some land to build and operate a parking garage. Aren't there a number of vacant hangars, or a way to rearrange things? Maybe a parking garage somewhere with a Bee-Line feeder (relocating the County DPW Garage in West Harrison, put a structure in there?) Can maintainence or operations free up some land by relocqating some of their facilites?

There is no free space at the airport. Curently all of the land that can be used is used. Hangers at the airport are at a premium, and are at full capacity. They do have off-airport parking but it is run by a 3rd party. This 700 Acre airport was not built for what it is used for today.

Does anybody remember Somers Airport or Croton Airpark? They should of kept those open... :P

Edited by firedude

Correct.

There is no free space at the airport. Curently all of the land that can be used is used. Hangers at the airport are at a premium, and are at full capacity. They do have off-airport parking but it is run by a 3rd party. This 700 Acre airport was not built for what it is used for today.

Does anybody remember Somers Airport or Croton Airpark? They should of kept those open... :P

You forgot about the New Rochelle Airfield in the north end, and Ramapo air port in Rockland. Also I believe there an airport in Armonk in the 50's.

You forgot about the New Rochelle Airfield in the north end, and Ramapo air port in Rockland. Also I believe there an airport in Armonk in the 50's.

I'm unfamiliar with New Rochelle and ramapo. I do know the original "Westchester Airport" was located in armonk, where the current IBM facility sits.

firedude Does anybody know if the construction at HPN has been stoped due to budget issues?

As one of the Operations Coordinators at the airport, I can tell you first hand that construction has not stopped. Nor does the airport have "budget issues." One project stopped in the terminal (the new Dunkin' Donuts) because none of the local DDs will supply the one at the airport (due to random political and personal BS). But there are plenty of other projects that continue. Currently we are redesigning the car rental lots to ease traffic congestion in front of the terminal, remodeling the restrooms on the second floor to make them much larger, and improving drainage and sewer systems around the airfield. Some of the projects that seem like they are halted have just recently been pushed back due to other issues than budgetary. Some of the airports systems need to be upgraded before construction can begin (i.e. the new deicing system, which will coincide with the ramp reconstruction and extension of the terminal to the ramp areas).

calhobs As for someone who works there please tell me where this extra space is, I really need a new place to hide from my boss. They are doing some major consonstuction over the next 3-5 years, but this should of been done 5 years ago by time they are done I think it will still be tight in the terminal, I just hope they put in some new AC in terminal very soon they reallly need it.

First of all, why would you announce that you need a new place to hide? And why are you insinuating that you already hide? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HIDING!!! And if I find you hiding I will flush you out and tell your supervisor because hiding on an airport is dangerous and against federal security regulations. As for the AC problem, we're working on it. We have a hundred other problems to take care of, and we'll get to it when we get there.

firedude Does anybody know if the construction at HPN has been stoped due to budget issues?

As one of the Operations Coordinators at the airport, I can tell you first hand that construction has not stopped. Nor does the airport have "budget issues." One project stopped in the terminal (the new Dunkin' Donuts) because none of the local DDs will supply the one at the airport (due to random political and personal BS). But there are plenty of other projects that continue. Currently we are redesigning the car rental lots to ease traffic congestion in front of the terminal, remodeling the restrooms on the second floor to make them much larger, and improving drainage and sewer systems around the airfield. Some of the projects that seem like they are halted have just recently been pushed back due to other issues than budgetary. Some of the airports systems need to be upgraded before construction can begin (i.e. the new deicing system, which will coincide with the ramp reconstruction and extension of the terminal to the ramp areas).

When I was referring to the budget issuse, I ment the FAA budget issues, not the county's. Most airports with FAA funded construction, has halted construction because Washington can't control the debt.

Dozens of airport construction projects halted (USA Today)

First of all, why would you announce that you need a new place to hide? And why are you insinuating that you already hide? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HIDING!!! And if I find you hiding I will flush you out and tell your supervisor because hiding on an airport is dangerous and against federal security

Humor... It's something that more and more members of this site are losing the ability to recognize in typewritten form.

helicopper, calhobs and firedude like this

The airport has definitely expanded beyond what was envisioned when the terminal was built.

As for Somers, Croton, Mahopac, Ramapo (Spring Valley) or any of the other strips that were in our area, none were or could be big enough for the kind of commercial traffic we're talking about.

I worked at HPN 20+ years ago when the Quanset Hut was the termininal.

I still feel the old terminal functioned better than the current 41,000 sqft building which was maxed Day One. The screened waiting area is too small. Now they want to add Customs, where?? I am open to not going to Newark or JFK to fly out, but they made no provisions for the future when this building was designed.

calhobs As for someone who works there please tell me where this extra space is, I really need a new place to hide from my boss. They are doing some major consonstuction over the next 3-5 years, but this should of been done 5 years ago by time they are done I think it will still be tight in the terminal, I just hope they put in some new AC in terminal very soon they reallly need it.

First of all, why would you announce that you need a new place to hide? And why are you insinuating that you already hide? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HIDING!!! And if I find you hiding I will flush you out and tell your supervisor because hiding on an airport is dangerous and against federal security regulations. As for the AC problem, we're working on it. We have a hundred other problems to take care of, and we'll get to it when we get there.

Sigh... sometimes people just dont get a joke. But since you opend the can of worms maybe you guys up in the Ivory Tower there in OPS should move the AC and Heating problem up to number one of one hundred. Because your fellow employees and paying public roast during the summer and freeze during the winter in the terminal. It is funny how when I went up to Ops the other day when it was 90 degrees in the Terminal and it was nice and cool up there. In the winter when it s 40 degrees in the terminal its a nice 72 in Ops.

Oh by the way dont worry about me hiding becasue my SIDA does not get me into OPs, thats the only place worth hiding .

This is why the airport can't expand, for people like this.

Neighbor: Renovations Will Bring More Traffic, Noise to County Airport (Full Article)

This is what is planned for construction:

Nothing here seams like it would attract Larger and louder planes.

This is David Gelfarb's response to the above article:

Does anybody know if the construction at HPN has been stoped due to budget issues?

No construction has been stopped.

Sigh... sometimes people just dont get a joke. But since you opend the can of worms maybe you guys up in the Ivory Tower there in OPS should move the AC and Heating problem up to number one of one hundred. Because your fellow employees and paying public roast during the summer and freeze during the winter in the terminal. It is funny how when I went up to Ops the other day when it was 90 degrees in the Terminal and it was nice and cool up there. In the winter when it s 40 degrees in the terminal its a nice 72 in Ops.

Oh by the way dont worry about me hiding becasue my SIDA does not get me into OPs, thats the only place worth hiding .

Haha. I think you're the only person I've ever heard that thinks the Ops bridge is a GOOD place to hide. And, trust me, it's no "Ivory Tower." If you go up there during the day the temperature control works fine. I worked nights for over 3 years, and I can tell you first hand that the AC works great in the dead of winter at 2am, and vice versa in the summer, never mind the constant construction that happens up there. Part of the temperature problem is being fixed in the terminal, though. If you notice the south public entrance is closed during the daytime. Each of the entrances is being renovated with new doors and air curtains to help curtail entering/exiting heat. We are unable to get larger AC units on the roof at this time because the current duct system cannot support the necessary airflow.

As far as your "hiding" joke, unfortunately I have to take something like that seriously. The FAA and TSA are constantly combing over HPN. Plus, you can't tell when people are being serious or facetious when reading text on the internet, so don't get bummed out when people don't get your joke.

firedude, as far as I know HPN is still receiving the necessary funds from the FAA to continue the projects that are currently underway. I'm sure the federal government will bone us when it comes time to reconstruct the ramp, relocate Taxiway A, and build our deicing facility.

Haha. I think you're the only person I've ever heard that thinks the Ops bridge is a GOOD place to hide. And, trust me, it's no "Ivory Tower." If you go up there during the day the temperature control works fine. I worked nights for over 3 years, and I can tell you first hand that the AC works great in the dead of winter at 2am, and vice versa in the summer, never mind the constant construction that happens up there. Part of the temperature problem is being fixed in the terminal, though. If you notice the south public entrance is closed during the daytime. Each of the entrances is being renovated with new doors and air curtains to help curtail entering/exiting heat. We are unable to get larger AC units on the roof at this time because the current duct system cannot support the necessary airflow.

As far as your "hiding" joke, unfortunately I have to take something like that seriously. The FAA and TSA are constantly combing over HPN. Plus, you can't tell when people are being serious or facetious when reading text on the internet, so don't get bummed out when people don't get your joke.

Not bummed out at all, and I have no problem telling when people are joking on here, just cant take to many things serious or personal on here sometimes. Thanks for the AC info, for four years we have been asking whats up with the AC and heat all we are ever told is we are working on it, typical County BS.

How many "gates" does HPN have? (currently, not including the not used jetbridges)

All the residents that complain should make the drive to LGA or EWR to go to Florida. Or be thankful they have an airport 5 minutes from their house.

Also, for those aviation people in the know, do the planes make a quick ascent to minimize noise?

Guys... stop whining about the AC, the hottest month is coming up next week B) . I was up in the ID office earlier this year and didn't notice a problem with the climate.

firedude, as far as I know HPN is still receiving the necessary funds from the FAA to continue the projects that are currently underway. I'm sure the federal government will bone us when it comes time to reconstruct the ramp, relocate Taxiway A, and build our deicing facility.

I'm glad the construction continues, the last thing the airport needs is a delay.

How many "gates" does HPN have? (currently, not including the not used jetbridges)

I believe HPN currently has 6 gates where people can board from. The 2 Jetway'd gates are only used by the larger aircraft.

Also, for those aviation people in the know, do the planes make a quick ascent to minimize noise?

There is no Laws about how the pilot should fly the ascent or decent, only suggestions. At HPN, there is a noise abatement program that suggests not flying over certain congested areas and not flying duing night hours but pilots can really do as they please. The Only exception is when pilots are on a IFR flightplan, when ATC tells you were to go.

I think the folks in greenwich petitioned to change the flight path of planes on approach to runway 34. They actually got the FAA to change it so now planes dirrected by ATC are navigated away from the waterfront homes in greenwich and more over Long Island Sound.

Noise Abatement Website

Pilot Noise Abatement Info

Edited by firedude

What else could we possibly attract? More A320's!!! Id be happy :D

But In all seriousness, what is their true concern for "louder" aircraft. Living on the final approach path for 34, I can care less if its an A320 or a 172, neither are truely bothersome... And what jetBlue and AirTran currently operate right now, essentially are as big as it is going to get...is it frequency that has them concerned?

Edited by voltage1256

Maybe we can get them to expand Danbury and Dutchess while we're at it. :P

All the residents that complain should make the drive to LGA or EWR to go to Florida. Or be thankful they have an airport 5 minutes from their house.

There is a noise abatement plan in place. You have to climb to 1000 feet after take off before turning. The problem is the airport was built during the war years when most of the area was farmland or sparclly developed. Over the years develpers have built houses right up to the runways. You have houses in Bellfair (former mental hospital site) directly under the approach to 34. Greenwich and the development near the old NIKE base are loaded with new and expensive houses. the owners complain every time a plane engine burps . The County had to install noise monitoring equipment in these neighborhoods.

I remember the public hearings when they wanted to replace the Quonset hut with a "modern terminal" , the residents from Greenwich were up in arms and one resident George C, Scott threatened to move if they went ahead with the expansion. He later did move.They feared that any improvements would lead to more traffic,and more noise.

Its the old story, You spend a lot of money to buy a house next to an airport and they you work to close it. We see this a lot in the fire service. except it with the horn or siren.

Maybe we can get them to expand Danbury and Dutchess while we're at it. :P

The Port Authority is making plans to develop Stewart as as the next large airport for the area to take some of the traffic from JFK, LGA, and EWR.

The Port Authority is making plans to develop Stewart as as the next large airport for the area to take some of the traffic from JFK, LGA, and EWR.

I've heard that for at least 30 years. The plan includes a high speed train to NYC.

We may need it when the TZB falls into the river as the plans for its replacement are just as far off.

Yea... It's never going to happen!

I've heard that for at least 30 years. The plan includes a high speed train to NYC.

We may need it when the TZB falls into the river as the plans for its replacement are just as far off.

Time will tell. The airport is now being managed by the Port Authority so that's a start.

Stewart is too far away from the populated areas and the mid-hudson valley does not have the population to ever create a larger airport then it already is. Also, no matter what kind of transport they put to Stewart from the populated areas around NYC, it will not solve the problem that it takes that much longer to get to then any of the other local airports.