Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

CNN showing boat rescues in Elmsford

10 posts in this topic

CNN is tapped into WABC and WCBS. They are showing a neighborhood in Elmsford, I think Fairview is on scene evacuating residents out of private homes in an area where a local resident stated this is the "worst flooding he's ever seen" in that neighborhood. They didn't show him, but I think it was a Chief from Fairview that was interviewed. If you put on WABC in NY, or CNN National you'll see the swiftwater team in action, taking out residents. 1015 hours.

Fairview fd is/ was doing rescues ( removals)in the Babbitt Court/ 9a area. Elmsford fd is doing rescues (removals) in the White Plains ave./ 9a area.

Edited by ladder55

That area always floods, even in the most minor of storms. Why they didn't evacuate I don't know.

And this is exactly why Fairview has a boat and sent their members for swift water training.

I too saw the footage on CNN and given what happened in Croton, I wouldn't be so quick to call evacuation/removal from a flooded home a "rescue". These people knew way ahead of time what was coming. This was planned and tons of advanced warning given out. From what I saw on TV they were in no imminent danger of death or serious injury from submersion, being swept away or crushed by the force of the water. Aside from the elderly, infirmed or handicapped, the people I saw being removed were merely being inconvenienced and didn't want to get their feet wet.

Now just from reading the IA this morning, the incident in Croton was a "true" rescue. Good job by all involved, hope their injuries aren't too serious and they make a quick recovery.

Fireman488 and JohnnyOV like this

I too saw the footage on CNN and given what happened in Croton, I wouldn't be so quick to call evacuation/removal from a flooded home a "rescue". These people knew way ahead of time what was coming. This was planned and tons of advanced warning given out. From what I saw on TV they were in no imminent danger of death or serious injury from submersion, being swept away or crushed by the force of the water. Aside from the elderly, infirmed or handicapped, the people I saw being removed were merely being inconvenienced and didn't want to get their feet wet.

You are absolutely correct, Bull. If you refer to our website www.elmsfordfd.com; the actions of our department were called removals.

Stay safe.

You are absolutely correct, Bull. If you refer to our website www.elmsfordfd.com; the actions of our department were called removals.

Stay safe.

Rescues, removals, you guys re getting into semantics. The fact is there were homes that were completely flooded, and the only way for the residents to be "removed" was by boat.

I'm sure if one of those structures had lit up on fire because the water reached the electric panel in the basement, there'd be no discussion about whether these were rescues or not.

How about a compromise; "preventative removal from potential hazard"? lol

-Grammatically yours.

Rescues, removals, you guys re getting into semantics. The fact is there were homes that were completely flooded, and the only way for the residents to be "removed" was by boat.

I'm sure if one of those structures had lit up on fire because the water reached the electric panel in the basement, there'd be no discussion about whether these were rescues or not.

But they didn't so lets not speculate on the "what ifs". The fact is that some agencies, including my own were wading through stagnant, ankle deep water and putting people who had PLENTY of advanced warning on these inflatable boats so that they wouldn't get their feet wet and boasting on how many "water rescues" they pulled off.

I have no issues with evacuating folks, even the idiots that should have left on their own while the earth was still dry. My thing is why treat these people as if they would melt if they touch the water? I'd would have them walk out of the house on their own and purposely make them get wet. Perhaps then it would serve as a lesson to them to heed the warnings and to not tie up resources with nonsense.

Rescues and removals are like apples and oranges. Far from semantics. Lets not cheapen the heroics of some brothers by trying to stretch the truth.

Fireman488 likes this

But they didn't so lets not speculate on the "what ifs". The fact is that some agencies, including my own were wading through stagnant, ankle deep water and putting people who had PLENTY of advanced warning on these inflatable boats so that they wouldn't get their feet wet and boasting on how many "water rescues" they pulled off.

I have no issues with evacuating folks, even the idiots that should have left on their own while the earth was still dry. My thing is why treat these people as if they would melt if they touch the water? I'd would have them walk out of the house on their own and purposely make them get wet. Perhaps then it would serve as a lesson to them to heed the warnings and to not tie up resources with nonsense.

Rescues and removals are like apples and oranges. Far from semantics. Lets not cheapen the heroics of some brothers by trying to stretch the truth.

Boy what moxie. Then why did the white water rafters go into the river ? They put the rescuers at risk. I see no post by the FD that they were making rescues along the Saw Mill.

That's no bull. In upstate NY the county declared a ban on boating during the storm. Maybe Westchester should take a cue from Broome county. Some people have too much to say and should refrain from posting until they count to 10.

efdcapt115 and 16fire5 like this

Well here in Elmsford the water was more like waist deep then ankle deep and also the area was not an evacuation zone. Ill still go with removal but was a little more then skipping through ankle deep water.

Fireman488 likes this

Well here in Elmsford the water was more like waist deep then ankle deep and also the area was not an evacuation zone. Ill still go with removal but was a little more then skipping through ankle deep water.

We also have to remember just one manhole cover out of place could create a virtual whirlpool, not necessarily visible from the surface. One misstep by a rescuer or a civilian could pull you down into the open manhole. From there, all bets are off.