Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Austin, TX-Massive Ongoing Wildfires w/ LODD

50 posts in this topic

I don't know where to begin.

The metro Austin area-Central Texas (is under a severe fire weather warning. It hasn't rained in months, we're in an extreme drought, and there is low humidity and wind gusts over 40MPH. Tempature's are in the high 90's-100. No rain in sight in the foreseeable future (months).

They've evacuated thousands of people, and so far, 20,000+ acreas and 600+ homes have been destroyed all in different fires all over a 1,000 square miles. And this isn't the only major brush fire in the state. I think there are 63 major fires at the time of writing.

Yesterday, I was listenting to one of the many,many incidents that started small, in a subdivison that is located in a mountainous area with a lot of brush (AKA fuel). This entire community of subdivisions are rather high end, with homes from $400,000 (a LOT of money here) to $1 million. The scanner was going crazy. At one of the major fires here in Austin, I was listening to it get larger, and, at one point, the IC ordered 20 Type I or Type II engines, 10 Type 5 or Type 6 brush trucks, as many helicopters as Starflight could send, and 60 police officers to go door to door to evacuate people in one radio transmission Also, I believe it burned up one engine.

Most departments, including FD, PD, and EMS are under full recall. Firefighters and apparatus are stretched thin (see link below). Thankfully, State and Federal resources will begin arriving today. And there is going to be a surge in Brush Trucks being ordered in the upcoming months.

And no, I didn't get any photos nor did I want to get any photos. These fires are way too dangerous to be anywhere near without proper gear and accountabilty.

Here's an article about Firefighters being strecthed thin:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/firefighters-stretched-thin-short-on-luck-1820130.html

efdcapt115 likes this

Surely the only way to deal with this is prevention; have codes requiring clear-cut firebreaks around structures, non-flammable roofs, and perhaps some degree of first-aid firefighting capability for every homeowner?

These kinds of wildfires are part of nature in certain areas; they aren't news, they aren't unexpected, and it's kinda surprising that more isn't done to prepare for them. They'll always overwhelm any possible response; Let the brush burn, so long as humans engineer their environment so they don't threaten structures.

Mike

This Was A Twitter Message That Was Sent Last Night --- MANPOWER REQUEST: Anyone in Central Texas with firefighting experience is requested to call 512-978-1187.

--- Sounds Like A Very Serious Situation And I Pray For The Workers And The Civilians In The Area And Hope They Get Rain ASAP. I Am Sure Some New Yorkers Wouldnt Mind Send The Floods To Help Out!!!

Here Is A Link Of The Fire...Alot Of Smoke!!!

http://www.emergencystream.com/video_archive/09/4a.html

Thomas

Surely the only way to deal with this is prevention; have codes requiring clear-cut firebreaks around structures, non-flammable roofs, and perhaps some degree of first-aid firefighting capability for every homeowner?

These kinds of wildfires are part of nature in certain areas; they aren't news, they aren't unexpected, and it's kinda surprising that more isn't done to prepare for them. They'll always overwhelm any possible response; Let the brush burn, so long as humans engineer their environment so they don't threaten structures.

Mike

Prevention is definitely one step but central/western Texas has been suffering from one of the worst droughts in history along with a heat wave of 100+ degree days almost all summer so without some real rainfall, all the prevention in the world won't stop these fires.

you know what seth? I for one dont want you taking any photos. there are plenty of shots and live video out there. That said, I really feel sorry for all those affected by the fires. All I can say is my heart goes out to them and I hope they as well as the fire department gets all the help that they need.

Prevention is definitely one step but central/western Texas has been suffering from one of the worst droughts in history along with a heat wave of 100+ degree days almost all summer so without some real rainfall, all the prevention in the world won't stop these fires.

Well that was exactly my point. I'm not talking about preventing the wildfires, that's not possible or desirable; brush was built to burn in conditions like this, it's nature's way. My point was better environmental engineering, so that a brush fire can be left to burn unfought without endangering structures. If you have a big enough firebreak and suitable building materials that won't go up from embers landing on them, a brush fire doesn't need to result in lost structures.

Mike

FFBlaser likes this

There is public education and codes. A LOT is done to prepare from them. You DO NOT want homeowners to stay in their houses to try and hold back the fire. They can be overtaken and killed in a matter of moments. Firefighters are doing their best to protect exposures, but you don't have the time or resources to protect or fight hundreds of structure fires at once.

These wildfires aren't part of nature in today's society. Combined with an exceptional drought due to months without any rain makes the brush perfect fuel. How are you supposed to let brush burn when winds are 35+ MPH plus higher gusts, and there is something called "fire weather"? And in populated areas?

Hundreds of people have lost their homes, entire neighborhoods have been destroyed, thousands of people are in shelters that don't even know the status of their homes. Ash from the ruins is blowing and being found 30 miles away on cars and buildings. Agriculture has been suffering due to the drought- now thousands of acres of fields have burnt and livestock killed.

And don't forget, besides the Austin area- there are fires burning in 251 out of Texas' 254 counties.

Texas IS prepared-extensively....everyone was just waiting for this to break out...

http://tfsweb.tamu.edu

Well that was exactly my point. I'm not talking about preventing the wildfires, that's not possible or desirable; brush was built to burn in conditions like this, it's nature's way. My point was better environmental engineering, so that a brush fire can be left to burn unfought without endangering structures. If you have a big enough firebreak and suitable building materials that won't go up from embers landing on them, a brush fire doesn't need to result in lost structures.

Not possible, in any way, shape, or form. Although future planning should take this into consideration, there are still thousands of homes that are in the urban interface zones.

you know what seth? I for one dont want you taking any photos. there are plenty of shots and live video out there. That said, I really feel sorry for all those affected by the fires. All I can say is my heart goes out to them and I hope they as well as the fire department gets all the help that they need.

Thanks, Joe.

This Was A Twitter Message That Was Sent Last Night --- MANPOWER REQUEST: Anyone in Central Texas with firefighting experience is requested to call 512-978-1187.

Doubtful this is true. Training in wildifre sitatuions, wildfire gear, and accountability would make this a no-go, other then possibly remote water supply situations. I think a few departmental recalls may have been what was requested. Freelancing could be an arrestable offense, as you are putting assigned firefighters live's in danger.

Just watched a report on ABC Nightly News. A soldier who did 18 months in Afghanistan has just returned home, has a wife and two small children, and HAD a home, a car, and a picnic table in the backyard.

It's all gone, destroyed in "The Monster" fire.

Honestly, it was heartbreaking, and I felt so badly for this soldier and his family, I wish they had put up an address to send donations to help this family.

Texas desperately needs rain. What a shame, the tropical storm that just blasted Louisiana didn't give one drop of rain to Texas. Let's all pray for a good heavy rainstorm for the state. "Invest 95" has formed off the coast of western Africa. Maybe with some luck it'll stay a low category storm and head over Texas way. Prayers.

Seth, fair enough - you know the geography and situation on the ground in TX, I don't. Maybe it's an idea for the future tho. In a way building next to brush is like building in a flood zone - you know sooner or later you'll get hit. Difference is, you *can* prepare for brush, IF you remove enough fuel.

Mike

We just got put on notice here... several fires all over NM as well. If I was ask I would be the first on the truck to make the trek. Stay safe and wear your fire shelters people!

Seth, fair enough - you know the geography and situation on the ground in TX, I don't. Maybe it's an idea for the future tho. In a way building next to brush is like building in a flood zone - you know sooner or later you'll get hit. Difference is, you *can* prepare for brush, IF you remove enough fuel.

Mike

The problem is, usually when you clear brush, it is compiled into a pile and burned. With a burn ban in effect, brush is cleared, it is moved to these piles but not burned. With a ton of new construction, it's hard to find places to store this brush safely. I saw a plan to grind it up, but there was some reason it wouldn't work.

As they say, an Austin drought always ends in an Austin flood. Luckily, all new development in the past 15 or so years has included infastructure to deal with massive amounts of stormwater, but there are still flood prone areas.

In Austin, we have wildfires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and hazmat disasters to worry about. But our local Emergency Service agency's are prepared for anything at anytime, in a very organized fashion, as proven when the plane intentionally crashed into the building in March 2010.

When I was at Ft Hood several years ago, they almost mobilized a brigade to fight forest fires in Idaho. Any talk of that going on?

When I was at Ft Hood several years ago, they almost mobilized a brigade to fight forest fires in Idaho. Any talk of that going on?

There was a large brush fire on Fort Hood last week. 7,000 acres, destroyed 2 homes near one of the ranges. A few more popping up yesterday. I know that military air resources are being used, I'm not sure which branch besides the Texas National Guard are being used, but I know there is a mobilization forming at Camp Mabry in Austin.

I thought I saw 2 Blackhawks flying near my house.

For detailed minute to minute official information:

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=12888

valid point.I guess if anything id wait for an official call for help. not facebook, like you said, it probably lacks accuracy.

Thoughts and prayers are with all people who are affected. Stay safe out there and don't forget to watch your back.

Alright, I called that number. Got a recorded message in a female voice that stated "The Bastrop fire Department has met it's staffing needs at this time." Then it went to another recorded voice which stated "the mailbox for this number is full at this time."

Guess it was legit.

Edit: Called the number again this morning. I guess I was just going to ask why they posted that, as it apparently had gone viral on FB. Now the number just rings, no answering machine like last night.

Edited by efdcapt115

TO NEWER MEMBERS: Look for recent existing threads that may already answer your question:

From the existing thread:

Doubtful this is true. Training in wildifre sitatuions, wildfire gear, communications, and accountability would make this a no-go. I think a few departmental recalls may have been what was requested.

There is federal and state protocol for handling manpower requests, and most of that come from task and strike forces. In no way would they beg for manpower. Freelancing could be an arrestable offense, as you are putting assigned firefighters live's in danger.

There was a request by a local horse farm, nothing to do with the incidents, for firefighters to help evacuate horses and protect them in structures, and I think that is what they mean with that call for firefighters.

Alright, I called that number. Got a recorded message in a female voice that stated "The Bastrop fire Department has met it's staffing needs at this time." Then it went to another recorded voice which stated "the mailbox for this number is full at this time."

Guess it was legit.

George ...looking to pick up a little spending cash ???

TO NEWER MEMBERS: Look for recent existing threads that may already answer your question:

From the existing thread:

Doubtful this is true. Training in wildifre sitatuions, wildfire gear, communications, and accountability would make this a no-go. I think a few departmental recalls may have been what was requested.

There is federal and state protocol for handling manpower requests, and most of that come from task and strike forces. In no way would they beg for manpower. Freelancing could be an arrestable offense, as you are putting assigned firefighters live's in danger.

There was a request by a local horse farm, nothing to do with the incidents, for firefighters to help evacuate horses and protect them in structures, and I think that is what they mean with that call for firefighters.

What about the prisoners ??? The forest service has used this resource many times.

George ...looking to pick up a little spending cash ???

Yeah sure, about $1,000.00 in gas to help evacuate the horse farm. I hope the horses are okay, but these fires are wreaking freaking havoc in The Lone Star State.

They could call FDNY, or any other fire department, out of Texas.

Why would we call FDNY? They have enough to worry about themselves, and are not really equipped or trained for a situation like this. This is not a USAR or weather related (like hurricane) event- which is what FDNY would mobilize for. Texas has a VERY strong incident management team(s) and system in place. We have plenty of resources with the Local, State and Federal resources.

This is far fetched...If innterstate mutual aid was needed from a major FD that is trained and equipped for this and closest is Dallas and San Antonio FD's. If any large departments with training and equipment were to be called, we have numerous cities to draw from, especially in California.

Texas is well prepared and planned. This wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when.

Official Updates:

http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=12888

http://inciweb.org/

Wildfire update – Sept. 6, 2011

Current situation:

· Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 22 new fires for 7,544 acres, including 10 new large fires.

· In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 181 fires for 118,413 acres.

· It appears that in the past 48 hours, more than 700 homes have been destroyed. As better assessments come in, we will continue to update the situation report.

· 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.

From the link Seth provided.

Seth,

It reads like Texas is rapidly burning Bro. No disrespect intended, but I see your Governor Perry quite a bit these days in the news, he's running for President. What is he doing, as Chief Executive of Texas to help Emergency Services get a grip on what is going on up there? I don't know anything about how the chain of command works in these complex situations in your state, but it sounds like he needs to be more involved in helping get more resources into these areas to help contain these wildfires. My God, 700 homes burned? How many hundred thousand acres? Governor Perry should suspend all campaign activity and get his butt over to IC and find out what they need. Obviously they need more than they are deploying, no?

SRS131EMTFF likes this

And no, I didn't get any photos nor did I want to get any photos. These fires are way too dangerous to be anywhere near without proper gear and accountabilty.

x635 your not alone. I'm not getting any pics either!

The Bastrop fire is the biggest brush fires in Austin Area. It now over 30,000 arces.

Here is a link to New York Times Photos.

http://www.nytimes.c...E.html?emc=eta1

On a side note my sister in law is from Bastrop. They have had big fires in the past according to her but this is the biggest one yet.

From the link Seth provided.

Seth,

It reads like Texas is rapidly burning Bro. No disrespect intended, but I see your Governor Perry quite a bit these days in the news, he's running for President. What is he doing, as Chief Executive of Texas to help Emergency Services get a grip on what is going on up there? I don't know anything about how the chain of command works in these complex situations in your state, but it sounds like he needs to be more involved in helping get more resources into these areas to help contain these wildfires. My God, 700 homes burned? How many hundred thousand acres? Governor Perry should suspend all campaign activity and get his butt over to IC and find out what they need. Obviously they need more than they are deploying, no?

Capt,

Gov Perry did cancel campaigning and returned to TX and is making requests as needed from the TX EOC. Attached is briefing from this morning and I believe

on page 30 shows deployment within state of Fedral and State Forest Service Teams. This does not include the deployment of various FD and military teams which

are also engaged

TX Forest Service 090611 Briefing.pdf

efdcapt115 likes this

Capt,

Gov Perry did cancel campaigning and returned to TX and is making requests as needed from the TX EOC. Attached is briefing from this morning and I believe

on page 30 shows deployment within state of Fedral and State Forest Service Teams. This does not include the deployment of various FD and military teams which

are also engaged

Thanks I repped you for it, but I can't open the file, so I'll just go by your word. Hope all y'all get some dang rain real soon.

--- Sounds Like A Very Serious Situation And I Pray For The Workers And The Civilians In The Area And Hope They Get Rain ASAP. I Am Sure Some New Yorkers Wouldnt Mind Send The Floods To Help Out!!!

Thomas

Doubtful this is true. Training in wildifre sitatuions, wildfire gear, and accountability would make this a no-go, other then possibly remote water supply situations. I think a few departmental recalls may have been what was requested. Freelancing could be an arrestable offense, as you are putting assigned firefighters live's in danger.

valid point.I guess if anything id wait for an official call for help. not facebook, like you said, it probably lacks accuracy.

Guess it was legit.

Edit: Called the number again this morning. I guess I was just going to ask why they posted that, as it apparently had gone viral on FB. Now the number just rings, no answering machine like last night.

There is a National Wildfire Coordinating Group that can mobilize resources if needed for assignment anywhere in the 50 states. Texas is a big part of that system and I'm sure they're getting help from trained and qualified wildland firefighters. I wouldn't want boat loads of structural firefighters with structural PPE during a heat wave in TX to battle brush fires.

The Twitter and Facebook "appeals" for assistance are nothing but dangerous. They encourage freelancing and lack the accountability that the NWCG has and as Seth already pointed out do nothing to address the need for training, qualifications and PPE. I bet that phone number wasn't supposed to become a national appeal but rather a local appeal on the behalf of a single fire department.

For those that think 30,000 acres is a big fire - it is; but not by Texas or wildfire standards. 30,000 acres is roughly the size of Yonkers or Yorktown, 45 or so square miles. One of the largest wildfires I'm aware of was more than 500,000 acres on the California/Oregon border.

What makes these fires so dangerous is that there is no relief in the weather forecasts and these fires are popping up ALL OVER the state.

To our peers in Texas, stay safe! And you're welcome to all the rain you want from up here!

Chris hit the nail on the head.

These fires are fought tactically with extreme planning, training, and incident management. The whole NIMS thing is in full effect. Texas INTRAstate mutual aid is very well organized. Federal resources are being requested, in part, due to the severe exhaustion of both career and volunteer firefighters. Besides the wildfires, there have been numerous unrelated structure fires, pin jobs, hazmat calls, etc. So entire cities cannot be emptied just to fight a wildfire.

As far as freelancers, there are departments from around the country calling and saying they will be on thier way or asking if they can help. One of the many,many reasons this is dangerous, besides what's stated in my posts above, is there is a chance of a helicopter dropping a Bambi Bucket full of water on your head.

The latest fire conditions can be found here:

http://tfsweb.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?id=12888

Also, to note, EMTBravo is headquartered in the Austin,TX area. I handle the backend technical, operations, and finacial duties from my home here in central TX, and our staff operates remotely as well from all over the country. Right now, there is no reason to believe we are in danger, even though the Bastrop fire is about a half hour away.

I have friends and coworkers that have lost everything, and due to the current conditions, cannot get any accurate info. They are stuck in shelters with a thousand other peope.

This is one of our large recreational lakes, that's also a major source used for water and power. It's a part of a chain of lakes dammed off and a part of the Lower Colorado River. Normally, the water should be up to where the trees are. Just a visual on part of the drought.

post-11-0-64070600-1315350059.jpg