Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

Bridgeport, CT Response Assignments

10 posts in this topic

I thought it might be an interesting topic as a sort of history lesson, also to see if any other fire dept. uses a system similar. Below, I have some information regarding response assginments, radio codes/lingo, and some information about the fire dept. that protects Connecticut's largest city: the Bridgeport Fire Department. Because it was unfamiliar to me as to whether or not any other cities, particularly in New England or in the New York Metro area use a similar system when assigning companies on a "Box" for a structure fire, I decided to post some interesting info on Bridgeport.

At one time, Bridgeport had 15 Engine Companies, 6 Trucks(Including 1 Quad), and 1 Squad in 2 Battalions, quartered in 13 Fire Stations. They covered an area of 16 sq. mi.'s with a population of 156,000. Today, after budget cuts during the last 35-40 years, which are typical in New England and around New York, the Bridgeport Fire Department was cut to 9 Engines(Including 1 Quint), 4 Ladders, and 1 Rescue in 2 Battalions, in the same area with a population of 144,000.

Up until a few years ago, the BFD used a system when dispatching companies in conjunction with the alphabet. At it's peak, each of the 15 Engine Companies' first due district was given a letter of the alphabet, that corresponded with, or pretty close to, the number of the Engine Co. The BFD used this system when transmitting Box Alarms, or, as they are called there, a Signal 29(Alarm of Fire). Each district was given a name to go with the letter, i.e., "Adam". Thus, Engine 1's first due district would be "Adam", as "A" is the first letter in the alphabet.

Each Box Assignment or Signal 29 for each district would be 2 Engines, 1 Truck, the Rescue(or Squad as it was called), and 1 Battalion Chief. If a Working Fire was called, 2 more Engines(1 for R.I.T.), and 1 additional Truck would be added to the Box. Now, it's always 4 & 2 on a Box. However, if a company was on another call or out of service, the assignment would change to the next closest company. For example, and Adam 1 assignment would be the 1st and 2nd due Engines and the 1st due Truck. If one unit was on another call or out of service, an Adam 2 assignment would be transmitted, for example, the 1st and 3rd due(as opposed to the 2nd due) Engines would go out.

The assignment would be transmitted over the radio in this way:

Adam 1 Assignment - Engine 1's first due district - Downtown.

"Signal 29, Signal 29...The Assignment for this fire is Adam 1. Report of smoke in a building at # 900 Main St., between Bank St. and State St...The following companies respond: Battalion 1, Engine 1, Engine 3, Truck 5, and Squad 5."(Repeated)

*Note - Assignments, such as Adam 1 are only mentioned at the 1st Alarm level.

Here's how the letters went:

Adam - Engine 1.

Baker - Engine 2(Closed).

Charlie - Engine 3.

David - Engine 4.

Edward - Engine 5(Closed).

Frank - Engine 6.

George - Engine 7.

Henry - Engine 8(Closed).

No District name for Engine 9(Only in service for a short time)(Closed).

John - Engine 10.

King - Engine 11(Closed).

Lewis - Engine 12.

No Engine 13.

Mary - Engine 14(Closed).

Nancy - Engine 15.

Otto - Engine 16.

Peter - Sikorsky Airport ARFF(Peter 1 Assignment was on Airport Property/Peter 2 was off).

Over the years, when companies closed, their district would be merged into another company's. Thus, as Engine's 2, and 5 closed, their districts would be joined into Engine 1's. So, Engine 1 would respond to Boxes in Adam, Baker, and Edward Districts.

I know it's a little confusing, but I just thought I'd post it, so just let me know if anyone has questions/comments. If anyone knows of another department that uses a system like this, I would be very interested to know.

Edited by sfrd18

At one time, Bridgeport had 15 Engine Companies, 6 Trucks(Including 1 Quad), and 1 Squad in 2 Battalions, quartered in 13 Fire Stations.

"sfrd18", Nice job on explaining how the Bridgeport, Ct fire dept dispatches the companies. It all sounds so complicated, but for any of us who know the area, its the was it is.

Just to let you know, the Letters came out right after they did away with the street pull boxes. That was probadly 30 years ago. At that time it went something like this :

Signal 29, Signal 29, the assignment for this fire is Box 552 Freeman St and Stratford Ave, this is reported to be a house fire on Miles St near Stratford Ave.

The term Signal 29 came from the police dept as that stood for a fire.

Over the many years, I have buffed many cities in the northeast, and even many throughout our country and from what I've seen, NOBODY dispatches like Bridgeport.

I would like to mention that when Bridgeport had 15 Engines, for a long time Three of those Engine Companies ran as Combo Companies. Engine and Truck 10, 11, and 12 ran with a pumper and those Quads (old Mack City Service Trucks). The Engine and Truck would always run together.

On another Web Site called www.ctfire-ems.com is a picture of those Quads (Tk 12) and also some stories about how busy Bridgeport was during their busy War Years during the mid 70s to the early 90s. (Search Bridgeport War Years).

Edited by nfd2004

"sfrd18", Nice job on explaining how the Bridgeport, Ct fire dept dispatches the companies. It all sounds so complicated, but for any of us who know the area, its the was it is.

Just to let you know, the Letters came out right after they did away with the street pull boxes. That was probadly 30 years ago. At that time it went something like this :

Signal 29, Signal 29, the assignment for this fire is Box 552 Freeman St and Stratford Ave, this is reported to be a house fire on Miles St near Stratford Ave.

The term Signal 29 came from the police dept as that stood for a fire.

Over the many years, I have buffed many cities in the northeast, and even many throughout our country and from what I've seen, NOBODY dispatches like Bridgeport.

I would like to mention that when Bridgeport had 15 Engines, for a long time Three of those Engine Companies ran as Combo Companies. Engine and Truck 10, 11, and 12 ran with a pumper and those Quads (old Mack City Service Trucks). The Engine and Truck would always run together.

On another Web Site called www.ctfire-ems.com is a picture of those Quads (Tk 12) and also some stories about how busy Bridgeport was during their busy War Years during the mid 70s to the early 90s. (Search Bridgeport War Years).

nfd2004,

Thanks. If you're from around the area, it's easier to understand. I grew up near and live a few miles away from the Park City myself, and a few of the younger guys from my volunteer FD go down and buff down there. Not as many fires as during the Bridgeport War Years, but they still see work, and a lot of it as of late. What year did Bridgeport remove the street boxes?

Also, I neglected to mention some of the BFD's codes, aside from a Signal 29(Alarm of Fire):

Signal(Code) 7 - Requesting Fire Marshal.

Signal 21 - In Service.

Signal 24 - Off the Air/In Quarters.

Signal 30 - 2nd Alarm.

Signal 31 - 3rd Alarm.

*Note - Signal's 30 and 31 are possibly defunct.

And that's true, Engine's 10, 11, and 12 all ran with Quads for a time. I think 12 was the last quad to go. By the way, on a Signal 29, was it 2 & 1 w/Squad 5 for the most part, and the consecutive alarms also 2 & 1?

Anyhow, I've read your War Stories on ctfire-ems.com and Nycfire.net and they're fantastic. Many sound just like something out of Report from Engine Co. 82[i/]. You should post them here on EMTBravo. I think a lot of guys on here would really appreciate them. Many members, especially the younger guys, don't realize how many cities were buring throughout the Mid-Atlantic/New England areas, aside from places like the South Bronx, Bed-Stuy, the Lower East Side, etc. that are the most popular. That's how firefighting was back then, especially in inner cities. From Newark to Yonkers, and from Bridgeport to Providence and to Boston. Catching a job a night(and sometimes more) was the norm, with and without cutbacks and company closures.

Edited by sfrd18

Sikorsky used to have its own station down at the Southside plant there, in addition to their station at the main plant in Stratford. I don't think its still in service. The Sirkorsky plant has a pretty impressive industrial department. And what about Bridgeport's fireboat?

Yes, it certainly was a much busier time for fires then. Remember there were no smoke detectors, no automatic fire alarm systems, and no cell phones. In some cities, only a fire box on a few street corners that would only signal that someone has pulled the box.

As for Bridgeport, Ct I grew up there and my father was on the job there. I'm going to guess that the Bridgeport Fire Dept did away with their street corner pull boxes sometime in maybe the late sixties. After taking them out some were replaced with phone call boxes. You would just open the door and pick up the phone which would be answered by a Bridgeport ERS (Emergency Reporting System) Operator. If it was for fire, they took the info and dispatched the units. If it was for a police matter, they told you to hold on as they transferred you to a police call taker.

Those phone boxes really did not last very long. The wires would get cut or the phone left off the reciever. I'd say they were around for about ten years, maybe less, before they were removed.

As for the response to alarms,it has been reduced over the years. Now 2/1 would have been 3/2. Automatic Fire Alarms would get a full response not like now with only one Engine. Even during the very busy War Years for Bridgeport, they Never called in mutual aid like now.

There has been many changes in the fire service over the last 30 years or so, whether Bridgeport or any other city. Bridgeport has never really had a decent fire boat. Always a smaller boat with an outboard motor. Usually towed on a trailer by an Engine Co. Hard to believe with the ships that come into the harbor.

I'm glad that you've been able to read some of the other stories written. "My Younger Buff Years" on www.nycfire.net turned out to be a pretty big hit. But of course it was many others that also added to it and made that happen. Same for the "Bridgeport's War Years" on www.ctfire-ems.com .

And by the way, Thank You for all the rundowns that you post on here. I follow them pretty closely as I enjoy reading whats going on in that part of the state. I was down there Labor Day. Caught two seperate pin jobs (Bpt and Stratford), and Fairfield and Bridgeport both had workers. Not too bad. I live 75 miles away now. Kinda miss the place. Glad you keep us informed.

Willy Bridgeport a few years ago had gotten a boat similar to Milfords marine 1 and Branfords marine 5. It is a great upgrade from what they used to run. If I am correct the crew from engine 3 is the primary crew for the boat.

Willy Bridgeport a few years ago had gotten a boat similar to Milfords marine 1 and Branfords marine 5. It is a great upgrade from what they used to run. If I am correct the crew from engine 3 is the primary crew for the boat.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that. It used to be such an embrassment seeing that row boat along side those big ships.

Sikorsky used to have its own station down at the Southside plant there, in addition to their station at the main plant in Stratford. I don't think its still in service. The Sirkorsky plant has a pretty impressive industrial department. And what about Bridgeport's fireboat?

The Bridgeport Fire Department operates a 26' aluminum fireboat, as well as two smaller zodiacs. During the winter months, Marine/Marine Rescue 1 is stored at Fire Station # 10(Engine 10/Ladder 10) on the city's East Side. During the summer, it's at Captain's Cove, a local marina. Marine Rescue 2 is at Fire Headquarters(Engine 1/Ladder 5/Rescue 5/Battalion 1/Deputy 1) in Downtown and Marine Rescue 3 is at Fire Station # 6(Engine 6/Ladder 6/Battalion 2) in the city's East End(Below the East Side). I'm not sure as to whether or not Engine 3 staffs the boat. Marine/Marine Rescue 1 is definately a big improvement from the smaller boats and skiffs they used to run.

Back in the day, it was mostly urban inner-city firefighting in Bridgeport, according to nfd2004, so the city didn't have a really impressive Marine Division, not to my knowledge anyway. The large amount of fires occured on land, and were common-place in not only Bridgeport, but also other cities, which gave these fires the name similar to that made famous by FDNY: The War Years, only these could be considered as "The Other War Years". In Bridgeport, the time period from the '60's through the '80's and '90's could be considered to be "Bridgeport's War Years".

As for Sikorsky, the Airport is in Stratford but is protected by both the Stratford and Bridgeport FD's, with a Box Assignment from Bridgeport responding to calls there, as well as 2 ARFF crash trucks cross-staffed by members of the BFD at night and airport employees during the day at an Airport Station there. Sikorsky does not, however, operate an industrial fire department at the South Side plant, only at the main plant.

The Bridgeport Fire Department operates a 26' aluminum fireboat, as well as two smaller zodiacs. During the winter months, Marine/Marine Rescue 1 is stored at Fire Station # 10(Engine 10/Ladder 10) on the city's East Side. During the summer, it's at Captain's Cove, a local marina. Marine Rescue 2 is at Fire Headquarters(Engine 1/Ladder 5/Rescue 5/Battalion 1/Deputy 1) in Downtown and Marine Rescue 3 is at Fire Station # 6(Engine 6/Ladder 6/Battalion 2) in the city's East End(Below the East Side). I'm not sure as to whether or not Engine 3 staffs the boat. Marine/Marine Rescue 1 is definately a big improvement from the smaller boats and skiffs they used to run.

Back in the day, it was mostly urban inner-city firefighting in Bridgeport, according to nfd2004, so the city didn't have a really impressive Marine Division, not to my knowledge anyway. The large amount of fires occured on land, and were common-place in not only Bridgeport, but also other cities, which gave these fires the name similar to that made famous by FDNY: The War Years, only these could be considered as "The Other War Years". In Bridgeport, the time period from the '60's through the '80's and '90's could be considered to be "Bridgeport's War Years".

As for Sikorsky, the Airport is in Stratford but is protected by both the Stratford and Bridgeport FD's, with a Box Assignment from Bridgeport responding to calls there, as well as 2 ARFF crash trucks cross-staffed by members of the BFD at night and airport employees during the day at an Airport Station there. Sikorsky does not, however, operate an industrial fire department at the South Side plant, only at the main plant.

Thank you for that info regarding the Bridgeport Fire Dept Boats. I was not aware of that at all. I only remember that smaller boat that I believe was usualy towed by Engine 1 if needed.

Yes, there was a Private Industrial Fire Dept at the old Sikorsky Plant. That was near Seaside Park. Helicopters would often land there and the Fire Dept would be standing by. That is in addition to the Airport Fire Dept and Sikorsky's Plant in Stratford.

Yes, it certainly was a much busier time for fires then. Remember there were no smoke detectors, no automatic fire alarm systems, and no cell phones. In some cities, only a fire box on a few street corners that would only signal that someone has pulled the box.

As for Bridgeport, Ct I grew up there and my father was on the job there. I'm going to guess that the Bridgeport Fire Dept did away with their street corner pull boxes sometime in maybe the late sixties. After taking them out some were replaced with phone call boxes. You would just open the door and pick up the phone which would be answered by a Bridgeport ERS (Emergency Reporting System) Operator. If it was for fire, they took the info and dispatched the units. If it was for a police matter, they told you to hold on as they transferred you to a police call taker.

Those phone boxes really did not last very long. The wires would get cut or the phone left off the reciever. I'd say they were around for about ten years, maybe less, before they were removed.

As for the response to alarms,it has been reduced over the years. Now 2/1 would have been 3/2. Automatic Fire Alarms would get a full response not like now with only one Engine. Even during the very busy War Years for Bridgeport, they Never called in mutual aid like now.

There has been many changes in the fire service over the last 30 years or so, whether Bridgeport or any other city. Bridgeport has never really had a decent fire boat. Always a smaller boat with an outboard motor. Usually towed on a trailer by an Engine Co. Hard to believe with the ships that come into the harbor.

I'm glad that you've been able to read some of the other stories written. "My Younger Buff Years" on www.nycfire.net turned out to be a pretty big hit. But of course it was many others that also added to it and made that happen. Same for the "Bridgeport's War Years" on www.ctfire-ems.com .

And by the way, Thank You for all the rundowns that you post on here. I follow them pretty closely as I enjoy reading whats going on in that part of the state. I was down there Labor Day. Caught two seperate pin jobs (Bpt and Stratford), and Fairfield and Bridgeport both had workers. Not too bad. I live 75 miles away now. Kinda miss the place. Glad you keep us informed.

Interesting info about the pull-boxes. A lot has changed in the Park City over the last 40-50 years.

Those stories about the other war years are pretty cool and very inspiring to upcoming firefighters. What can I say, they're great!

You're welcome about the rundowns. Glad they're appreciated. I try to catch whatever I can. Again, not as many jobs as there were back then, but still a decent amount. Interesting how there's so much news coverage about jobs down there these days, and way back when, it had to be one heck of a job to even get a newspaper story.