Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ptwatson

FDNY Apparatus Disposal

5 posts in this topic

There was a topic on here about a month or so ago from a member of a dept who said that their dept was in high need of "new" apparatus because there fleet was something like 30 years old. My question is how does FDNY depose of the there old apparatus and are they in any condition to continue to serve? If so might be nice for them to sell them at a big discount to dept's who fleet is crappier then the used FDNY rigs.

All NYC surplus equipment is auctioned off by DCAS at monthly auctions. Many past vehicles have found second lives with other departments but most are in pretty sad shape by the time they are auctioned.

If so might be nice for them to sell them at a big discount to dept's who fleet is crappier then the used FDNY rigs.

While it might be "nice", why should the NYC taxpayer subsidize other comunities? Each local government has a fiduciary responsability to its tax payers and they do sell to the lowest bidder, so potentially they do get a good deal.

M' Ave likes this

Remember, rigs typically serve 10-12 years in front line service before they serve as spares for several i.more. Last spare i worked in was from 1994, a Seagrave rearmount. It had over a hundred thousand miles on it and it was a rust bucket held together by duct tape. It was finished. Probobly worth it's weight in scrap only.

Probobly worth it's weight in scrap only.

Exactly. Brookfield (scrap metal company in Elmsford-HUGE buyer of trucks at end of life) buys a ton of FDNY apparatus.

It also seems like a majority of appartus are cannibalized for parts, then auctioned. It's sad, because SOME of the assets auction off are in decent enough shape to serve very rural departments with no funding. It seems like the older Mack Engines and TL's made their way to second homes. I'm not saying they should be donated, but they can (but can't) be obtained at a fair price.