Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Broward County's New Engine/Patient Transport Units

45 posts in this topic

Thats pretty funny. It even has an air-dam on top of the cab next to the 'Broward County Sheriff' graphics. Bottom line is that its just plane silly and dangerous.

Why is it "plain silly and dangerous"?

Staff an engine and an ambulance 24/7 like they should be as well as the manpower and resources needed for coverage.

Uhhhhmm, they do.

As was mentioned earlier in the discussion, this station's primary response area is a large amount of an interstate, has an ambulance assigned to it and the unit in question is to be a secondary option for transporting patients.

Why is it "plain silly and dangerous"?

Uhhhhmm, they do.

As was mentioned earlier in the discussion, this station's primary response area is a large amount of an interstate, has an ambulance assigned to it and the unit in question is to be a secondary option for transporting patients.

If they did staff it correctly they wouldn't need a Fireblance. Ya Know what pal...your right I am wrong stay safe....

x129K likes this

If they did staff it correctly they wouldn't need a Fireblance.

So what would be the correct staffing for them?

Ya Know what pal...your right I am wrong stay safe....

My question to you, which you didn't answer, was not an I'm right, you're wrong kind of thing. You asserted that the use of this vehicle was "plain silly and dangerous". I was simply asking why you felt that way and was hoping for a reasonable answer explaining what was "silly" and what was "dangerous" about the operation of this vehicle. Maybe you were seeing something that I wasn't? There was no need to make the half-hearted concessionary statement as if I'm being the "unreasonable" one unless you have nothing to substantiate your claim.

Doesnt this put a bunch of stress on the "time" factor? Maybe because I have never seen it done but how does a department operating at a pin job with life-threatening injuries set up their tools, cut a door/roof, roll a cab, care for a patient, clean up their tools, and respond with a patient? Would this dept have additional apparatus or utilities to make sure the scene is protected or cared for when the "fireblance" leaves for transport? Obviously saying this if the primary ambulance is not available...

Im not saying its a dumb idea, just curious of what alternative routes these men/women of ALL such fire services take to make sure the patient(s) is brought to good care in a timely manner? I understand mutual aid may be called for an additional ambulance, but then why have the "fireblance"? Maybe I missed a prior post which described this, got tired of reading peoples fighting posts, ha.

Anyone have a video of this operation? Must be tricky. Anyways, nice lookin rig.

Anyone have any pictures of how the inside looks or how it could potentially look?

Doesnt this put a bunch of stress on the "time" factor? Maybe because I have never seen it done but how does a department operating at a pin job with life-threatening injuries set up their tools, cut a door/roof, roll a cab, care for a patient, clean up their tools, and respond with a patient? Would this dept have additional apparatus or utilities to make sure the scene is protected or cared for when the "fireblance" leaves for transport? Obviously saying this if the primary ambulance is not available...

Im not saying its a dumb idea, just curious of what alternative routes these men/women of ALL such fire services take to make sure the patient(s) is brought to good care in a timely manner? I understand mutual aid may be called for an additional ambulance, but then why have the "fireblance"? Maybe I missed a prior post which described this, got tired of reading peoples fighting posts, ha.

Anyone have a video of this operation? Must be tricky. Anyways, nice lookin rig.

From my understanding of the intended use along with info in other posts, this engine and an ambulance are housed together and primarily serve a large portion of an interstate. The engine is intended to be a secondary transport option for them given the fact that the next due ambulance isn't just "down the block".

I'm unclear as to whether or not this will also be a rescue pumper, however if it is, they are a county FD and would more than likely have other ambulance(s) responding to transport and additional fire resources coming too, plus there's a pretty good chance that a patient with life threatening injuries would be flown by helicopter off the interstate.

Two thoughts:

1. Someone should measure the distance from the ground to the base of the rig near the pump panel, then measure it again in ten years. I bet it's an inch or two lower and starting to sag.

2. Ambulances should transport the injured and ill, fire engines should transport firemen.

PEMO3 and firedude like this

Seagrave in the early 1990s offered engine or rescue configuration medical transport cabs. Sycamore Township in Ohio still has two medic transport engines in service along with two standard ambulances.

http://sycamoretowns...g/Apparatus.cfm

Sycamore uses the same concept as Broward, but is in the process of phasing those units out and only has one in frontline service currently. On that not I don't believe it is used very often due to growth of population down in that area, and that Sycamore has joined several dept in that area in a fire collaborative fire district that has AMAR with all the joining depts. (note al depts in the collorabative still operate indipentant at this time, no idea if a future consoldation is planed).

http://www.nefcfire.com/home.php

Found a video on it

I've been looking for that video for weeks. Thanks for posting it!

Didn't Phoenix fire use transport engine/ambulances?

not to my recollection. They do run paramedic engines, but they don't transport.

not to my recollection. They do run paramedic engines, but they don't transport.

They run paramedic engines & trucks along with FF/EMT (BLS) Ambulances. They are the primary transport agency.

They run paramedic engines & trucks along with FF/EMT (BLS) Ambulances. They are the primary transport agency.

Yeah sorry. I didn't make myself clear enough. They do transport in FD ambulances but don't transport in paramedic engines. Thanks for the clarification.