Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Police, paramedics 'horrified' after pickup crashes into stretcher

15 posts in this topic

Woman dies after being struck by car driven by son

By Isadora Vail AUSTIN-AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 10:33 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011

A 68-year-old woman died Thursday night when she was intentionally hit by a car driven by her son as she was being loaded into an ambulance, police said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/woman-dies-after-being-struck-by-car-driven-1887509.html

On a side note....pronounce that cop's name...Wuthipong "Tank" Tantaksinanukij...wow..thank god for nicknames.

He is a Tatical Flight Offier with the Austin PD Aviation division, holding the rank of Corporal, and also one of the depatment's spokesperson. He's also Vice President of the union. It's fun for the media and everyone else who need to know, and spell, his name. His decent is Thai.

The medics tried to get the stretcher out of the way, but they would have been killed as well before that happened. It's impossible to not see the back of an Austin-Travis County EMS ambulance, but he was aiming specifcally for his mother on the stretcher-caught on dashcam I believe as well as several witnesses.

When the now felon attempted to flee the scene in his vehicle, he hit a marked patrol car. There were several on scene due to the disturbance between his mother, 83, and him, 50. A few 911 calls came in of a fight in progress.

He is a Tatical Flight Offier with the Austin PD Aviation division, holding the rank of Corporal, and also one of the depatment's spokesperson. He's also Vice President of the union. It's fun for the media and everyone else who need to know, and spell, his name. His decent is Thai.

The medics tried to get the stretcher out of the way, but they would have been killed as well before that happened. It's impossible to not see the back of an Austin-Travis County EMS ambulance, but he was aiming specifcally for his mother on the stretcher-caught on dashcam I believe as well as several witnesses.

When the now felon attempted to flee the scene in his vehicle, he hit a marked patrol car. There were several on scene due to the disturbance between his mother, 83, and him, 50. A few 911 calls came in of a fight in progress.

Is it impossible because there is a big target on the back, Seth?

Is it impossible because there is a big target on the back, Seth?

Day:

Snap11.jpg

(9-1-1.com)

Night:

ambulance_reflective.jpg

(atcems.org)

Under direct return, high intensity flash.... ever notice how normal vehicle headlights never yield results like this? Your head lights are designed to point down at the road in front of you, not at a 90 degree angle to a vertical surface. High visibility requirements are a joke.

Either way, what a scumbag

Under direct return, high intensity flash.... ever notice how normal vehicle headlights never yield results like this? Your head lights are designed to point down at the road in front of you, not at a 90 degree angle to a vertical surface. High visibility requirements are a joke.

Either way, what a scumbag

Johnny, I totally believe you, don't worry. If the big flashing lights don't get your attention, the chevrons sure as s%*t won't.

But back to topic,

Hope this guy gets locked up for a while, and I hope the crew is safe and ok.

JohnnyOV likes this

"It was not clear who injured the woman, police said."

HUH?

I believe that's in reference to her initial injuries that lead to EMS and PD response in the first place.

helicopper likes this

I believe that's in reference to her initial injuries that lead to EMS and PD response in the first place.

Exactly. At first, it wasn't know that it was the victims son. They initially claimed it was another male who she had a disagreement with and attacked her. With her now deceased, and her son a nut job, they have to go through some nearby video tape and witness accounts.

Here are my photos of the Austin-Travis County EMS Fleet. They are pretty visible ambulances. But that had nothing to do with it.

http://www.x635photos.com/thumbnails-223.html

I wouldn't say their wasn't a "best part" to this story, but 2 potential LODD's were avoided narrowly.

Exactly. At first, it wasn't know that it was the victims son. They initially claimed it was another male who she had a disagreement with and attacked her. With her now deceased, and her son a nut job, they have to go through some nearby video tape and witness accounts.

Here are my photos of the Austin-Travis County EMS Fleet. They are pretty visible ambulances. But that had nothing to do with it.

http://www.x635photos.com/thumbnails-223.html

I wouldn't say their wasn't a "best part" to this story, but 2 potential LODD's were avoided narrowly.

Followed an Austin Travis meat wagon up I-75 (thats the route they take from the factory to catch I-10 to TX) on my way to Ocala one night and had to back off because the reflection was too bright even from a safe following distance. Sharp looking rigs though.

Here's more to the story:

Police, paramedics 'horrified' after pickup crashes into stretcher

Man faces murder charge after officials say he hits his injured mother with truck, narrowly avoiding first responders.

"If they hadn't seen him coming, we could have had two dead cops and two dead medics, too," he said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/police-paramedics-horrified-after-pickup-crashes-into-stretcher-1889114.html

Night:

ambulance_reflective.jpg

(atcems.org)

Excellent depiction of what we've discussed here before about using alternating reflective chevrons vs. all the chevron lines being retro reflective. May not meet NFPA but I'll bet it's more visible than many others where the stripes blend at night.

Back on track:

All the visiblity in the world is irrelvant. This guy knew what he was aiming for, and went for it. He murdered his mother while she way being assisted by EMS, and almost caused 2 Paramedic LODD's and 2 PD LODD's.

I understand there will be some dashcam video that may be released, as well as some survaillence tapes from the gas station.

It's still preliminary, but I suspect you'll be reading an article about it in JEMS later this year. It may also include a photo of the stretcher, which is pretty graphic.

I will post when it is authorized to be released to the public.