Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PC_420

Help bulding a vent simulator

9 posts in this topic

I am looking to propose to build a wooden ventilation simulator at my firehouse. I was hoping if anyone has any help, may have done this and has plans for such a thing, or any other help. I'm not looking into buying commercially build system. Rather, something to be built by ourselves. We have many members with roofing experience. Thanks for any help

Flat roof or peaked? Both? I have photos of a few different simulators I can post or send you.

I am looking to build a combined flat roof and peak simulator, whether its two different sections or adjustable. Thanks

How realistic are you looking to get? I mean we just use wooden pallets over sections of plywood. Good depth, plentiful, and replaceable.

The problem with pallets are they are typically hard wood, have stainless steel staples and a lot more heavy duty nails than a roof. With this being said pallets will dull your chains and pop more carbides than real or realistic roof simulators. Putting extra wear on a chain for drilling, then not have it perform 100% at a fire when the brothers are counting on it is a sin.

BFD1054 likes this

I would lean more towards plywood sheets for ease of replacement.

The problem with pallets are they are typically hard wood, have stainless steel staples and a lot more heavy duty nails than a roof. With this being said pallets will dull your chains and pop more carbides than real or realistic roof simulators. Putting extra wear on a chain for drilling, then not have it perform 100% at a fire when the brothers are counting on it is a sin.

Try saving some older blades, or chains missing a few teeth for training, and leave the new blades for the real deal. I know the Cutters Edge chains are very expensive, so I keep the best of the worst for training. I doesn't take that long to change out, and can be incorporated into the drill. Go over saw maintenance, changing blades/chains, and how the saws are to be on the rigs ready to go.

FDNY 10-75 and x129K like this

You can PM me also but a couple of things I recommend after using several for training over the years that I'd like to see if I were to ever be involved in building one.

1. make it multifunctional if you can by having some open studs to practice SCBA manuevers such as the low profile and full escape and wall breach. Best bang for you buck. IF you have the room, assistance and budget...I'd look at making an all in one FF Survival/Roof simulator prop.

2. If you have the budget I'd also recommend elevating it slightly higher then what you see most at. This allows for 2 things...one the use of a ground ladder to gain access to the roof section for a at least a couple of rungs to climb, gives you ability to practice roof ladder placement and also the ability to practice venting peaked roofs from your aerial device. The principles of the vent are similiar but the operations and utilizing a saw from the tip of a aerial or from a bucket are different.

3. The height also makes its easier for clean up underneath..and yes to make it last to reduce clutter, odor and wood eating insects from prematurely wrecking your prop.

4. Joist hangers will always help make it easier to swap them out. Cut whatever you know you will run into...OSB, plywood etc. To lower costs I'd recommend OSB and would even use it on the sections you won't be cutting and shingle it out for longer life. I would use caution on lining the prop sections with angle iron...looks and sounds great to lengthen the life of the surrounding material...but can be havoc on blades for those who nick it with the saw.