Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

On Call Firefighters

8 posts in this topic

"On call" and "Paid on call" firefighters are very popular in Massachusetts.

"On call" and "Paid on call" firefighters are very popular in Massachusetts.

I believe MA is probably one if not the only state that widely still uses on-call firefighters to supplement a career / combination department.

I believe MA is probably one if not the only state that widely still uses on-call firefighters to supplement a career / combination department.

Its common all over the midwest, MI, WI, OH, IN, IL, etc.

Almost every "working fire" out here on The Cape routinely gets a mutual-aid response in addition to the Call-in's. This goes for the bread and butter "room-and-contents" jobs, it might have something to do with how many responders are required on the scene to adequately meet minimum interior attack safety guidelines.

All the towns up here are hurting as far as staffing goes, and unfortunately it's not going to get better any time soon.

Its common all over the midwest, MI, WI, OH, IN, IL, etc.

Thanks capt, did not know they were that common out there too.

Britt Crosby runs a great site with all of the Cape and Islands FDs (www.capecodfd.com) information and pictures. Britt recently retired from C-O-MM (Centerville, Osterville, Marston Mills) Fire District. Great site to check out.

firedude likes this

Most Department's here in MN are paid on-call. Some of the larger department's operate 24/7 staffing using on-call firefighters (they bid for shifts and are paid). We have 40 on-call firefighters in addition to full-time command/admin staff.

New Hampshire as well, the town I have a lake house run 6 full time days and paid on call 24 hrs.