Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

Swiftwater Rescue Question - Tie off or don't tie off

8 posts in this topic

So I caught a new show on the Travel Channel tonight, Off Limits. It shows the host getting access to all sorts of places not generally open to the public. Really awesome concept, I would love to have his job. Anyway, tonight's show was about New York. One segment had the host exploring the Saw Mill River under Yonkers. Yonkeres FD provided technical support as the host and crew waded into the decently fast moving river. At FD's reccomendation, no one tied off to anything before wading in. From the non swift water expert's standpoint, it would have seemed preferable to tie off than not. I'm not questioning the decision. It clearly goes against what appears to be common sense in that sort of situation, so I'm curious as to why that type of decision would be made. At what point does being tied off become a hazard rather than a help, what factors go into that decision...the current? terrain downstreem? purpose of being in the water? Anyone with swiftwater training care to help out?

Here's a link to the show:

Travel Channel's Off Limits

Edited by nycemt728
grumpyff and firedude like this

Tying off is only beneficial if it can keep you out of the water. Tied off and in the water you can become dragged under. Tied off in the middle of the current you become an obstruction. Water builds behind you and creates an eddy in front of you. This sinks you lower and lower until the water can start over topping you. At this point you have the full force of the river holding you under. This all takes places in seconds.

Tying off is only beneficial if it can keep you out of the water. Tied off and in the water you can become dragged under. Tied off in the middle of the current you become an obstruction. Water builds behind you and creates an eddy in front of you. This sinks you lower and lower until the water can start over topping you. At this point you have the full force of the river holding you under. This all takes places in seconds.

Beat me to the punch. I cringe every time I see an operation where rescuers are tied off to the shore line in attempts to wade out into the current. The last LODD that occurred was in NJ during Irene, and that member was tied of to another rescuer who had to eventually cut him loose.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/147219

Stay Safe

I recently had the opportunity to do a few days of swift water training, I'll try to pass on a little of what I learned.

The first I learned is a brand new respect for moving water.

the NFPA defines "swift water" as water moving faster then 1 knot.

Water rescue is the technical skill we kill the most rescuers doing (drilling including).

The proper equipment is a must ( cold water suits are not swift water suits). You can be tied off but need a life vest that allows you to free yourself from the line quickly and easily.

http://store.mpgear.com/images/products/display/extrasportswiftwaterfury_red.jpg

notice the red ball on the above picture? that ball allows you to slip free from the rope you are tied to.

ask away on this topic, today is the perfect day to discuss it.

JohnnyOV likes this

You are partially correct. I haven't looked at the video yet, but my suspicion would be that film crew was wearing regular PFDs. As such, being tethered is not recommended for the reasons you stated and because that style PFD does not have any sort of "quick-release" feature that allows the wearer to free themselves from the tether.

In a swift-water situation, the personnel attempting any sort of rescue operation or in a position where they could fall into the water should be Technician Level trained and wearing a Class V PFD. Any person entering the water should be tethered since the Class V PFD has a "quick-release" mechanism that would allow the wearer the ability to free themselves from the line if need be. Actually swimming after the victim is the "last resort" option and the rescue swimmer should be tethered when doing so. Once the rescue swimmer secures the victim, personnel on the shore will use the tether line to pull both back into shore rather than the rescue swimmer having to expend energy trying to swim and control the victim (who might be uncooperative due to the situation).

efdcapt115 likes this

True, the rescue swimmer would be tethered to a quick release, but not the victims or in this case film crew. If I'm not mistaken, the victim is almost never tethered.

With a tethered rescuer, as the victim and rescuer float downstream they are drawn towards the shore into an area of refuge where they can then be removed from the water. The belay team is the pivot point and the force of water pushes then into shore. Anyone who's gone fishing in from a river bank has seen this. Cast out in front of you, and as the line drifts downstream it draws back closer to shore.

Edited by ny10570

With a tethered rescuer, as the victim and rescuer float downstream they are drawn towards the shore into an area of refuge where they can then be removed from the water. The belay team is the pivot point and the force of water pushes then into shore. Anyone who's gone fishing in from a river bank has seen this. Cast out in front of you, and as the line drifts downstream it draws back closer to shore.

Based on the Swiftwater Rescue training that I've done, this is not specifically the case for a tethered rescuer and victim. As stated above, once the rescue swimmer has possession of the victim, the personnel on the shore reel them in using the tether line - there is no belay team utilized.

What you describe, aside from the belay team, is more consistent with the "self-rescue" technique where you position your body in a fashion that the current will push you towards the shoreline.