Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Empress EMS Wins WMC Contract

37 posts in this topic

Thanks Billy....someday....but let's not get carried away....ALL of those years we worked together...it was MY bus! LOL

The other day I counted 12 companies that have dissapeared in my time, lets see:

Freedom, Admiral, A-1, AA, Park, Approved, Abbey-Richmond, Metropolitan, Metro-North, Empire, Ambassador, Regional(not the one out of Rockland, the one that had a New Rochelle base, became huge over night, then dissapeared), Affiliated, Hudson Valley Ambulance, CMTI(Community Medical Transportation). OK that is 15. Did I miss any?

Hudson Valley Paramedics/Regional EMS?? I guess they are operating as Care1 now, thats what the rigs say anyway

Holy Geeze! As a 23 year Empress guy, I am quite floored at the positive comments! Thanks, all you folks. I know that in general, folks in this line of work are difficult to impress.

Seth- I am 99% sure we did NOT supply any medics to STAT. When they first became the WCMC stat team from their earlier, original incarnation- a NYC hospital whose name and helo program name I have forgotten - maybe aeromed? (recall, I did say 23 years in Yonkers- it wears on the mind), they did NOT have a proper license for this area, so Empress let them operate under ours- that is why the early pics have the Empress name on the side of the helo, as per the rules. They ran/flew with two RN's and a pilot. Then later they went to a medic and an RN, but that was after they got their proper license and took the Empress name off the helo. When they went to the RN and Medic crew, they hired many senior Empress folks for their staff- The Old Goat, Locker etc.

Anyhow, I hear we are hiring about 30 folks, 15 EMT's and 15 medics. We are a proud Union shop, IAEP Local 20, with a pretty good benefit package, esp by private EMS standards. IF ( a BIG IF): you can say "please, thank you, excuse me and you're welcome", speak proper English, show up on time, wear a uniform properly,(no sports team logo apparel) drive without crashing, deal with pt care while NOT texting, smoking, chewing gum, wearing ear-buds and follow some other basic rules, you will probably do well here. OH- and not bang out sick unless you ARE sick. If any of that seems like it is encroaching on your life style, there are other places to work. It may sound harsh, but I am the Chief Shop Steward, and dealing with folks that can't do that stuff takes up much of my time. The reason we got the positive comments in this thread is because we earned them.

Lastly, X129 and X635: come on back, I'll find a room in my bus for ya.

You getting all sentimental on me in your old age brother?

x129K and ems-buff like this

The other day I counted 12 companies that have dissapeared in my time, lets see:

Freedom, Admiral, A-1, AA, Park, Approved, Abbey-Richmond, Metropolitan, Metro-North, Empire, Ambassador, Regional(not the one out of Rockland, the one that had a New Rochelle base, became huge over night, then dissapeared), Affiliated, Hudson Valley Ambulance, CMTI(Community Medical Transportation). OK that is 15. Did I miss any?

Hey Billy - remember that arrest you, me, and buck did many moons ago off of CPA, in the 2nd Precint...old guy was shovelling snow..he was outside laying in the street when we got there..

I remember you walking down the block and picking up a huge peice of carboard from someone's dumpster...then laying it down on the ground before you belly flopped to drop the tube...Buck glared at you...and you replied, " What? No proper medic gets dirty on the first call of the day!"

Those were the days......

A congrats for Empress for the win. Unfortunate for TransCare, but a great deal for Empress!

Congratulations to the folks at Empress, and to the Local. I remember working Medic 1 when Empress had the contract out of one of the ancient and decaying halls on the oval-at night, we'd explore the steam tunnels running across campus. Was a hoot of a contract. Good luck!