Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babhits16

FDNY Volly EMS

18 posts in this topic

I know there are alot of volunteer EMS agencies in the city. My question is how are they dispatched? What are they dispatched too? And do they receive ANY funding from the city or state?

I know there are alot of volunteer EMS agencies in the city. My question is how are they dispatched? What are they dispatched too? And do they receive ANY funding from the city or state?

they used to sign in to the RCC and Metro tech but now they don't it was a big thing about a year or two back. i know the throggs neck VAC is right next to engine 72 on East tremont and if there in station at the vac they used to come over with the EMS run sheet and we would just fallow them to the call. Otherwise people would call the VAC if they needed an ambulance and know about it vs the FDNY busses

The volunteer units are self dispatched. They have private numbers that local members of the community can utilize. Depending on agency rules the at times will also be "flagged"(monitor the radio and show up on your own) on assignments in their area. Since they operate outside the dispatch system they can be assigned to anything. Most of the agencies I worked around were very responsible and any calls that were possibly ALS would get a call into the 911 system for backup.

I'm not aware of any that receive regular funding, but for larger purchases the city council often can be pressed to pitch in.

Boy did you touch on a huge issue. To boil a huge, never ending debate into a nutshell: The vollys of NYC are not dispatched by FDNY. Some do have MARS radios of which the primary frequecy is monitored at FDNY dispatch, however vollys have been informed should they need ALS or further assistance on a call that they are to call via land line, not use the radios. There was some flip flopping as to whether squads were permitted to call the division directly or whether we would be forced to call 911 as a civilian, it's changed many times in recent years but it has happened that squads have requested ALS and received a CFR company, then BLS before ALS is finally sent. The squads to do have commmunity hotlines. Readers, complain all you want but unfortunately FDNY wants total control and will put lives at risk by not even utilizing volly units if they are closer to jobs.

As for funding again, no official support from the city. Many do receive grants from federal, state, and city programs and politicians. Other than that, they are on their own for funding, which yes does include insurance.

Cfr is assigned to the majority of als assigments. If the als is extended they will also send a bls.

Thank you! What about those ambulances run by hospitals (ST. Lukes etc), that have the "FDNY EMS Participant" on them? Are they FDNY dispatches?

Thank you! What about those ambulances run by hospitals (ST. Lukes etc), that have the "FDNY EMS Participant" on them? Are they FDNY dispatches?

They are dispatched by FDNY and are a part of the system.

They are not volunteer agencies. They're voluntary 911 providers and are part of the NYC system. Most run ALS units, in Manhattan they used to run more ALS units than the City did, and they are responsible for PAR's and dispatched by 911 just like FDNY units.

They are not volunteer agencies. They're voluntary 911 providers and are part of the NYC system. Most run ALS units, in Manhattan they used to run more ALS units than the City did, and they are responsible for PAR's and dispatched by 911 just like FDNY units.

We're slowly chipping away at that. They've lost a good chunk of their ALS and now citywide they're running more BLS than ALS. We're still a few ALS units behind in Manhattan, but that is not likely to change in the near future. Continuum and Presby are relatively healthy and should be able to handle the up coming ambulance fees.

Municipal Units = FDNY EMS. Voluntary Units = Hospital based units that are dispatched and treated like a municipal unit. The hospital based units now run an even amount of BLS and ALS units. On the ALS side of things the municipal units and the voluntary units carry slightly different medications (controlled substances, cyanide/smoke inhalation antidote kits) and other tools (CPAP).

Being a paid provider in the NYC system, I have never had a bad experience with a volunteer unit. I have a lof of experience with Central Park Medical Unit, 90% of the time they are on the scene first and they always provide high quality patient care. Its too bad the powers at be don't see the resource that they have at their disposal.

firedude likes this

Why should they be integrated into the system and more so, why would you want to be included? When the dept needs help, the call goes out and volunteers are integrated. Otherwise, its more units for FDNY to compete with and supervise. Operating separate from the system, all they have to do is monitor the precinct radio and go to the jobs they want to. No BS equipment audits, 89 checks, and other FDNY harassment.

Why should they be integrated into the system and more so, why would you want to be included? When the dept needs help, the call goes out and volunteers are integrated. Otherwise, its more units for FDNY to compete with and supervise. Operating separate from the system, all they have to do is monitor the precinct radio and go to the jobs they want to. No BS equipment audits, 89 checks, and other FDNY harassment.

It'd be nice to know which jobs were being handled already, avoid duplicates and increase efficiency within the system. It's always nice to dream, right?

Avoiding duplicates on the same dispatch frequency is hard enough. Across different frequencies, we might as well be different agencies. By listening to PD and self dispatching you guys will be better informed and more efficient than becoming another cog in the machine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see locations like Central Park and Grand Central, with their own first responders, integrate into the system and utilize their knowledge of the area. Dual dispatch the local resource and EMS. Once "on scene" or at least close we could then contact the local unit on a point to point tac channel and get an actual location, best access, pt status, etc. The people that are paid to make that happen do not share the same views as me.

JBE and comical115 like this

There's always a better way to do it. You have the tools, use them. Do you guys think it's a union issue?? Keeping the volly buses un, or under utilized to placate the union?? And on the other hand, could it be that the powers that be running FDNY*EMS don't want to admit the glaring problem that they are understaffed out on the street?? As far as harassment from the Conditions bosses, here's one way to look at it. If the boss is being a tool, so be it. But, if you're going to play the game, you gotta follow the rules.

I don't think its a union issue. No one is concerned about losing their jobs to the volunteers. I know voluntary hospitals would love to staff more units (both BLS and ALS), the fire department won't allow it (...another discussion).

I don't think ny10570 was talking about harassment from the bosses being an issue. The powers at be tend to rate a boss's productivity based on the 89 checks, vehicle inspections, if they can get the units in their area back in service from the ER in an "acceptable" amount of time, etc. By adding more units you are adding more overhead to a Lt's shift and potentially decreasing their availability for on scene functions (Cardiac arrests, RMA AMA, MCI's, etc.). It's a good point.

So the question is, ny10570 when are you moving up?

As comical said, the union as far as I'm aware has never had an issue with the volunteers. Before they were taken out of the system they were not being assigned calls over the 911 units so they weren't really a concern. Of course from the union's perspective we would like to run everything; central park units, grand central, all the 911, the beach patrols, Governors Island, etc but we are a very long way from that. Our concern now is taking over as many of the 911 transport units as possible. As other hospitals flirt with bankruptcy and the coming 911 administrative fees there are rumors of other hospitals looking to get out of the Ambulance game. If that becomes a reality we will be extremely busy trying to catch up on that front.

We're actually not that understaffed. The call volume per unit has increased slightly over the past few years and our bigger issue is transport and hospital turn around times. In areas of a demonstrable need for additional resources the voluntaries have added 3 units and a 4th became a 24 hour unit. The voluntaries may preach they're ready and willing to run more ambulances, but just like FDNY they have a budget to justify and adding more units for the sake of adding them isn't in their best interest either. They want to replace FDNY units, not be added alongside them.

The harassment is part of the game, but some have a personal vendetta against the voluntaries. There are plenty of stories about bosses being unreasonably strict when interacting with a crew, not realizing one of them was an FDNY*EMS member working their side job.Adding more units no matter who runs them is a boost for the EMS officers union. They're constantly fighting over span of control issues with the city. More units in the field equals more conditions cars on the road.

I'll be in the street for a long long while. Especially now that EMS officers are required to be paramedics there is almost no financial incentive for taking the promotion. For all of the extra responsibilities and liability you assume as an officer an increase in pay is the standard compensation throughout every industry. I am not going to take a job now and ask for proper compensation later.

I continue to hold out hope that my peers finally recognize this and follow the example set by the NYPD. Once the city could no longer get enough people to take the sgts test they were forced to address the compensation disparity. We're a long way from that point.

I appreciate the responses, fellas. I talk to a lot of folks over at EMD, and I got some clarification on how some of that works.