Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

In Memory Of Lt. Thomas Salvatore, Empress EMS 301

4 posts in this topic

As I refelect back on what's happened in Novembers past, I always remember "Tommy Sal". It's been almost 12 years since his passing, on November 26th 1999, almost 12 years ago this Saturday. (Where has the time gone?)

Tommy was a street Paramedic Supervisor for Empress EMS. I worked with him during the early years of my EMS career, back when I was an EMT and EMT-I. Tommy was alway laid back, friendly, approachable, and a great teacher. We did some calls I remember to this day, including my first esophogial verices call at the old B. Dalton in Yonkers, and cardiac arrest with extensive GI bleed in Mount Vernon. I remeber his love for his Supervisor's Tahoe, no matter how much it gave him problems! He always had a great spirit despite the valiant battle with Lupus and the health problems it caused him.

I remember the last time I saw Tommy, it was on a ventilator at Sound Shore Medical Center's ICU where I visited as often as I could (often would sneak over a few times during my MV-A1 shifts or when I was off), and then at the funeral home across the street from city center.

Tommy died of complications from Lupus disease. His death was a tremendous loss for the Empress EMS family, his own family, fiance, and friends, not to mention the EMS community as a whole.

There's a whole new generation at Empress EMS now who probaly have a whole new set of supervisors. I come from when the old Empress was ending, and the "new" Empress was beginning to emerge. I remember "306 on the back", but there was nothing like hearing "301" on the air. (300 too, lol) I reflect on a lot of the EMS lessons he taught me, and to this day remember the wide variety of calls we did together.

Tommy's fellow supervisors have gone on to new succesful careers now or have ascended up the Empress chain, but were just as awesome as him. I didn't realize it at the time, but it really was an era. I think about it, especially with all my fellow alumni who are active members of this forum.

I remember the funeral, Rory Lynch and I were working Mount Vernon A-1. Although we were technically in service, we at least got to be at the church which was standing room only. I can still hear John R. from Yonkers PD ESU playing the bagpipes.

The Empress EMS Family has dealt with more then it's share of tragedies over the years, but this one hit us all at the time particularly hard. And now being 32 myself, realizing Tommy was only 33, it reminds me how young he really was. And it's still good to see that the family spirit and support network at Empress EMS still exists.

Remember 301. Support the Lupus Foundation and research:

http://www.lupusny.org/

Tommy isn't the only one Lupus has affected in our emergency services community, and he would want to find the cure.

Thomas A. Salvatore III died on November 26, <b>1999</b> at the age of 33. He was born in New Rochelle on January 30, 1966, the son of Thomas A. and Janet Longo Salvatore. He graduated from New Rochelle High School and is a veteran of the United States Navy. He was a Paramedic Supervisor with the Empress Ambulance.
x129K and Alpinerunner like this

I'm very sorry to hear that. He sounded like a great supervisor and best of all a great friend.

Geeze Seth; quite a sad trip down memory lane. Thank you for giving Tom a fitting tribute. I'd love to know how his son is doing today, if anyone knows. Interesting to wonder where Tommy would be today if that sad fate had not intervened.

Bill