Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Apparatus Drivers-Watch Where You Park

12 posts in this topic

That sucks. But this is one of those examples where sharing is part of a training tool to be reminding of such things.

Wow! I can't believe that really happened.

Every S.O.P. went out the window on that call.

I had a similar incident with the same type of vehicle. As we pulled up on scene the brakes let loose and the truck started rolling down a hill towards a school bus. A police officer arriving on the scene placed his vehicle between the truck and the school bus. Lucky for us no one was injuried and the police cruiser was repaired. And you will never see me at the scene of a vehicle fire and wheels not chocked !

This fire company made a few mistakes, but they also encountered a couple of situations that are somewhat unusual. More than anything else, this is a terrific training tool. Everyone can learn a few key points by watching this.

although it is obvious some sog were not followed (at least sog that exist in my department), I actually think they got lucky parking where they did, who knows what else could have been in its way

I was at a car fire where this happened and it was just bad timing. It let go as we walked up to it. One guy actually put his haligan under the tire as it slowly rolled and it almost stopped it. The car ended up rolling into the engine. As much as a lot of people in these fourms have stated SOPs were violated it is rare I see a car fire extinguishment I like. Do you chock the wheels off the bat every car fire you go to? Sometimes depending on involvement it may difficult to appproach. Use it as a learning tool. Vehicle fires are no win events. The property is already lost on arrival 99% of the time and there are a multitude of thing that can really hurt people.