Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

Baltimore's Steadman Station Busiest Firehouse of 2010

8 posts in this topic

Here's an article from the Baltimore Sun that talks about the BCFD's Steadman Station in Downtown Baltimore City being rated the busiest firehouse in the country in 2010 by Firehouse Magazine, followed by DCFD Engine 30/Truck 17, SFFD Engine 1/Truck 1/Rescue Squad 1, Philly Engine 50/Ladder 12, and Miami-Dade Station 29.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-busiest-firehouse-20111130,0,1993879,full.story

The units responding from Steadman Station responded to a combined total of 21,921 calls in 2010. For those who are interested, "Steadman Station" is considered the Special Operations Firehouse of the BCFD and currently houses Engine 23, Rescue 1, Medic 1, Medic 22, Medic 23, Medic 25, Squad Medic 47, Battalion Chief 6, EMS 2, Haz-Mat. 1, Haz-Mat. 2, Collapse 1, Air Flex 1, the Dive Rescue Team, Special Rescue Operations 1, and the Special Operations Battalion Chief. Steadman Station used to house Truck 2 as well, until is was closed due to budget cuts. Steadman is located at 15 S. Eutaw St. in Downtown Baltimore, MD.

Edited by sfrd18

The EMS units stationed there account for 90% of the runs.

The EMS units stationed there account for 90% of the runs.

Very true, being in the heart of Downtown and all. I believe that there are 4-5 Medic Units and a Supervisor stationed there, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by sfrd18

Very true, being in the heart of Downtown and all. I believe that there are 4-5 Medic Units and a Supervisor stationed there, but I'm not 100% sure.

Medic 1, Medic 22, Medic 23, Medic 25, Squad Medic 47

Squad Medics are there versions of FDNY HAZ-TAC/Rescue Medics

I'm assuming EMS 2 is some kind of supervisor, but I can't recall, its been a few years since I've been there. Very big station, lots of equipment, lots of manpower.

Medic 1, Medic 22, Medic 23, Medic 25, Squad Medic 47

Squad Medics are there versions of FDNY HAZ-TAC/Rescue Medics

I'm assuming EMS 2 is some kind of supervisor, but I can't recall, its been a few years since I've been there. Very big station, lots of equipment, lots of manpower.

Right. Squad Medic 47 used to be w/Squad 47, but it was moved to Steadman. I believe all the medics stationed with the city's 3 other Squad Engines are also Squad Medics, but again, I'm not sure.

EMS 2 is a supervisor. There are four in the city. There is also an EMS Battalion Chief, in charge of the 4 EMS Supervisors.

Also, the Baltimore City Fire Department currently operates 32 Engines, 18 Trucks, 4 Squads, 1 Rescue, 38 Medics(Including 4 Squad Medics), 3 Fireboats, 2 Haz-Mat. Units, 2 AirFlex Units, 1 Collapse Unit, 1 Mobile Command Unit, a Special Rescue Operations Unit, a SCUBA Unit(Dive Rescue Tema), and 1 Foam Unit in 37 Fire Stations in 6 Battalions and a Shift Commander. There are the 4 EMS Supervisors, an EMS Battalion Chief, and a Special Operations Battalion Chief. The BCFD has approx. 1,800 members and the department responds to around 270,000 emergency calls annually, most of them medical-related.

Steadman is one impressive station, and the biggest in the city.

Actually, that brings up a good question. What in God's name is an AirFlex Unit?

Actually, that brings up a good question. What in God's name is an AirFlex Unit?

We would call it a mask service unit. Others an SCBA compressor vehicle

We would call it a mask service unit. Others an SCBA compressor vehicle

Ah, thanks.