Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoFire390

Mother of MI sophmore who died wants AED's in MI schools

10 posts in this topic

hey all found this article on JEMS.com. kinda scary how the state of MI hasnt already had AED's in the schools. anyway heres the link to the article.

http://www.jems.com/...teen-wants-aeds

let me know if any of the schools u all have in ur area have AED's...I know Hendrick Hudson School District has AED's in the Adminstration building, and all of the schools.

I believe the Rondout Valley Central School District (in Ulster Co.) has them in all buildings.

Edited by eric12401

let me know if any of the schools u all have in ur area have AED's...I know Hendrick Hudson School District has AED's in the Adminstration building, and all of the schools.

In May 2002, NYS legislation was approved to require all public school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension boards, and charter schools, to provide and maintain on-site, in each instructional school facility, at least one functional automated external defibrillator (AED).

In August 2002, an amendment to the legislation was adopted that allowed school districts, BOCES, county vocational and extension boards, and charter schools that are unable to comply with the new law by September 1, 2002, to delay implementation until December 1, 2002.

Note: the law was past after every school had set there budget for the 2002/3 school year. And many schools had to use contigincy funds or lay off personnel to meet this state unfunded mandate. The extension was granted, because the massive run on AED's state wide, made them unavailable. In my district they purchased more than 50 AEDs, Now how many school were purchased in the 700 school districts in NYS?

What Does Education Law §917 Require?

Section 917 of Education Law requires all school districts to become Public Access Defibrillator providers in accordance with Public Health Law 3000-b. Prior to the passage of Section 917, school districts were encouraged to voluntarily become PAD providers.

Under Public Health Law 3000-b all school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension boards, and charter schools must provide and maintain on-site, in each instructional school facility, at least one functional automated external defibrillator (AED) for use during emergencies. The legislation also requires public school officials and administrators responsible for such school facilities to ensure the presence of at least one staff person who is trained in the operation and use of an AED.

How many AEDs will districts and BOCES need?

Districts must consider: size and physical layout of the building, number and ages of individuals in the building, types and locations of athletic events, location of curricular and extracurricular events, and other design features that might be unique to the facility.

An AED must be available whenever public school facilities (including school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension or a charter school) are used for school sponsored or approved curricular or extracurricular activities and events, including athletic contests.

A school sponsored athletic event means both extraclass intramural activity of instruction, practice and competition for students in grades 4-12 and interschool competitive athletic events of instruction, practice or competition for students in grades 7-12 held at any location, even non-public school facilities.

As a general rule, the Taylor Law provides that the addition of a duty is mandatorily negotiable if the additional duty is not inherently part of the employee's existing duty description. Therefore, those employees who are already required, as part of their regular duties, to provide emergency care response, can be required to perform AED use without additional compensation.

So most school district employees can get paid for training in AED & technically paid for maintaining their certification, even if they are unlikely to use it. Thats a lot of money

MoFire390 likes this

Rhinebeck High School has AEDs in the building. They had one there and put more in after the one was put to use when one of my classmates, a triple varsity athlete, was playing gym softball and went into sudden cardiac arrest. She was revived by the gym teacher and the school nurse. The AED was used and good thing they had one in the building. Soon after they were installed throughout the building.

In May 2002, NYS legislation was approved to require all public school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension boards, and charter schools, to provide and maintain on-site, in each instructional school facility, at least one functional automated external defibrillator (AED).

In August 2002, an amendment to the legislation was adopted that allowed school districts, BOCES, county vocational and extension boards, and charter schools that are unable to comply with the new law by September 1, 2002, to delay implementation until December 1, 2002.

Note: the law was past after every school had set there budget for the 2002/3 school year. And many schools had to use contigincy funds or lay off personnel to meet this state unfunded mandate. The extension was granted, because the massive run on AED's state wide, made them unavailable. In my district they purchased more than 50 AEDs, Now how many school were purchased in the 700 school districts in NYS?

What Does Education Law §917 Require?

Section 917 of Education Law requires all school districts to become Public Access Defibrillator providers in accordance with Public Health Law 3000-b. Prior to the passage of Section 917, school districts were encouraged to voluntarily become PAD providers.

Under Public Health Law 3000-b all school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension boards, and charter schools must provide and maintain on-site, in each instructional school facility, at least one functional automated external defibrillator (AED) for use during emergencies. The legislation also requires public school officials and administrators responsible for such school facilities to ensure the presence of at least one staff person who is trained in the operation and use of an AED.

How many AEDs will districts and BOCES need?

Districts must consider: size and physical layout of the building, number and ages of individuals in the building, types and locations of athletic events, location of curricular and extracurricular events, and other design features that might be unique to the facility.

An AED must be available whenever public school facilities (including school districts, BOCES, county vocational education and extension or a charter school) are used for school sponsored or approved curricular or extracurricular activities and events, including athletic contests.

A school sponsored athletic event means both extraclass intramural activity of instruction, practice and competition for students in grades 4-12 and interschool competitive athletic events of instruction, practice or competition for students in grades 7-12 held at any location, even non-public school facilities.

As a general rule, the Taylor Law provides that the addition of a duty is mandatorily negotiable if the additional duty is not inherently part of the employee's existing duty description. Therefore, those employees who are already required, as part of their regular duties, to provide emergency care response, can be required to perform AED use without additional compensation.

So most school district employees can get paid for training in AED & technically paid for maintaining their certification, even if they are unlikely to use it. Thats a lot of money

thanks Capt. wasnt aware of that information. thank you for enlighting me!!!!

All schools in the Kingston school district have AED's in them.

does anyone know if the state or federal government has grants out there for schools out west that need them??

Hey all im posting this here as it pertains to the topic. I would like to know if someone could point me in the right direction as to start a program where school districts with small budgets are able to recive AED's to be placed in their buildings. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Again I'm not sure if there is something out there like this already. would just love to help some schools out who really need it.

Thanks,

Ken

NYS offered a bulk buy discount to enable schools to comply with the mandate. There may have been grants but they would be long since expired.

NYS offered a bulk buy discount to enable schools to comply with the mandate. There may have been grants but they would be long since expired.

Thank you for the input. Looks like this is gonna be a hard task to come by. I'm gonna have to really bust my buns and get moving on this.