Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njb242

Reciprocity Certification NY - NJ

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, i'm new to this board. See that the first topic is blue lights, guess that was to be expected lol. Going to try and make this simple. For background, I live in NJ and attend college in upstate NY. I am a FF in NJ and currently going through the lovely process of becoming interior certified in NY, ugh! I just signed up for an EMT-B course to take next semester in UPSTATE NEW YORK. It will be completed by May 17th of next year. I know with the current system it is not difficult to get a NY emt cert to transfer to NJ, but i have been hearing a lot of my jersey emt friends talking about the upcoming "emt course change to 250 hours". Are the jersey standards changing? What is the time frame for this change, and can i expect to get NJ reciprocity if i have my NY class completed by the above listed date?

thanks all!

Hello all, i'm new to this board. See that the first topic is blue lights, guess that was to be expected lol. Going to try and make this simple. For background, I live in NJ and attend college in upstate NY. I am a FF in NJ and currently going through the lovely process of becoming interior certified in NY, ugh! I just signed up for an EMT-B course to take next semester in UPSTATE NEW YORK. It will be completed by May 17th of next year. I know with the current system it is not difficult to get a NY emt cert to transfer to NJ, but i have been hearing a lot of my jersey emt friends talking about the upcoming "emt course change to 250 hours". Are the jersey standards changing? What is the time frame for this change, and can i expect to get NJ reciprocity if i have my NY class completed by the above listed date?

thanks all!

I've been looking into doing the same since I already have my NY certificate and live only a few miles from NJ and have not heard anything about a change in the NJ curriculum. Currently, NJ uses the National curriculum, which NY actually does a slightly more advanced course, including a full cpr course within the class. The date on your NY card won't matter, you'll be subject to the NJ curriculum that's in place when you apply for reciprocity. If they do lengthen the course to 250 hours in NJ, they'll likely make you go to the classes in their EMT course that cover whatever material they add to the course, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would make you go through their entire EMT course if you have an NY certificate.

Edited by EMT111

thanks all!

No matter what, if you apply for New Jersey EMT-Basic reciprocity, you have to take NJ-OEMS 100 question written exam. All the info about New Jersey EMT-Basic reciprocity can be found here. If you have specific questions, contact NJ-OEMS at (609)-633-7777.

What i would love to know is as a NY EMT or Medic you can work for most if not all private EMS companies from the mom and pops all the way up to Alert Lifestar etc without going for any reciprocity using your ny card. However, if you want to work for a hospital system monoc atlantic atlanticare etc you need to do your reciprocity over to get a nj state card

What i would love to know is as a NY EMT or Medic you can work for most if not all private EMS companies from the mom and pops all the way up to Alert Lifestar etc without going for any reciprocity using your ny card. However, if you want to work for a hospital system monoc atlantic atlanticare etc you need to do your reciprocity over to get a nj state card

What is your source on that? As far as working at some locations solely based on your NY card? Although I've been out of the game for a few years, when I was with a MICU in NJ, I couldn't just work off my NY Certifications?

EMT - http://www.nj.gov/health/ems/documents/recipro.pdf

Exemptions from taking the New Jersey State EMT-Basic Written Certification Examination

Reciprocity applicants validly certified as an EMT-Basic by a member state of the Atlantic EMS Council

(currently Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina,

Virginia and West Virginia) or the NREMT will be permitted to obtain a New Jersey EMT-Basic

certification without taking the state written examination.

Reciprocity applicants validly certified as an EMT-Basic by an agency other than a member state of the

Atlantic EMS Council or NREMT MUST successfully complete the New Jersey State EMT-Basic Written

Certification Examination, with a score of 70% or higher.

My source is me I worked several private companies in nj and was able to only with a ny card again as an emt only not a medic. I am a ny medic though but even if I was a ny emt I still could have. The nj doh says our cards are recognized in nj but for some reasons the hospitals won't hire unless the person has a nj emt card on them. As far as medic reciprocity that's a whole other nightmare with the t number etc et

What is your source on that? As far as working at some locations solely based on your NY card? Although I've been out of the game for a few years, when I was with a MICU in NJ, I couldn't just work off my NY Certifications?

EMT - http://www.nj.gov/health/ems/documents/recipro.pdf

You are right. You can'tsimple have a NY card an get a medic job in NJ. As a NY medic you would have to request reciprocity from the OEMS in New Jersey after getting a promise of employment with a NJ ALS provider. The State will look at your traing hour and cirriculmn and determine if it is on par with NJ. If it is they will issue a T-Card which allows you to work in NJ. The NJ EMS agency will evaluate the NYers skill and submit a report to OEMS in NJ recommending full certification. We have a St Vinny's graduate going thru this process right now.

Edited by NJMedic

You are right. You can'tsimple have a NY card an get a medic job in NJ. As a NY medic yoiu would have to request reciprocity from the OEMS in New Jersey after getting a promise of employment with a NJ ALS provider. The State will look at your traing hour and cirriculmn and determine if it is on par with NJ. If it is they will issue a T-Card which allows you to work in NJ. The NJ EMS agency will evaluate the NYers skill and submit a report to OEMS in NJ recommending full certification. We have a St Vinny's graduate going thru this process right now.

How does One get that promise of employment ? Monoc said they wouldnt take Out of state medics. where is the St v medic grad going througn the process at?

You are right. You can'tsimple have a NY card an get a medic job in NJ. As a NY medic you would have to request reciprocity from the OEMS in New Jersey after getting a promise of employment with a NJ ALS provider. The State will look at your traing hour and cirriculmn and determine if it is on par with NJ. If it is they will issue a T-Card which allows you to work in NJ. The NJ EMS agency will evaluate the NYers skill AnD submit a report to OEMS in NJ recommending full certification. We have a St Vinny's graduate going thru this process right now.

Nj requires about 300 extra hours clinical then ny

Can anyone shed any light on the receprocity from CT to NY I have a CT card for an EMR, which use to be a MRT, which I believe in NY is a CFR?

Can anyone shed any light on the receprocity from CT to NY I have a CT card for an EMR, which use to be a MRT, which I believe in NY is a CFR?

Right thats equal to cfr which is lower then an EMT b in both states no ems agencies would hire anyone with Just that (unless you want to ride for a volunteer Ambulance in nj that has no standards) its mostly used for firefighters but any fire agency (ie fdny) would most likely put you Through cfr /emr training again.