Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronxfireradio

Yonkers Box Locations

5 posts in this topic

Since YFD has recently adopted the FDNY style "(source) alarm, box xxxx" as alarm dispatch policy on the radio, can anyone provide a list of box locations? I've been looking around awhile for this There does seem to be both rhyme and reason to the box numbering system - southern boxes are in the 1xxx numbers, and up here in the northern Yonkers boonies, it seems to be 6xxx and 7xxx boxes. Some research seems to indicate that they were numbered as they were installed - but all were removed in about 1990. Thanks!

Since YFD has recently adopted the FDNY style "(source) alarm, box xxxx" as alarm dispatch policy on the radio, can anyone provide a list of box locations? I've been looking around awhile for this There does seem to be both rhyme and reason to the box numbering system - southern boxes are in the 1xxx numbers, and up here in the northern Yonkers boonies, it seems to be 6xxx and 7xxx boxes. Some research seems to indicate that they were numbered as they were installed - but all were removed in about 1990. Thanks!

There was a system, what I was told by senior men, was the following as I best remember it. The first number was from 1-7 and ran from West to East along the Southern border of Yonkers. The second number was from 1-7 and ran from South to North along the Western border of Yonkers. The last two numbers were within each area but not sure of how they were assigned. e.g. Box 1124 would have been in the Southwest corner of the City, Box 7124 would have been in the Southeast corner etc. Before we had CAD or even mapbooks on the rigs, the Box number could give you at least and idea of the area of the City the alarm was in (especially if the normal first due company was already out). There were also special boxes for Schools, etc. memory is faded but I believe schools began with 19 could be mistaken. One of the guys (an A/C) still on the job has a comprehensive listing of the information, probably why Jamie said to PM him. Hope this helps somewhat.

bronxfireradio and sfrd18 like this

There was a system, what I was told by senior men, was the following as I best remember it. The first number was from 1-7 and ran from West to East along the Southern border of Yonkers. The second number was from 1-7 and ran from South to North along the Western border of Yonkers. The last two numbers were within each area but not sure of how they were assigned. e.g. Box 1124 would have been in the Southwest corner of the City, Box 7124 would have been in the Southeast corner etc. Before we had CAD or even mapbooks on the rigs, the Box number could give you at least and idea of the area of the City the alarm was in (especially if the normal first due company was already out). There were also special boxes for Schools, etc. memory is faded but I believe schools began with 19 could be mistaken. One of the guys (an A/C) still on the job has a comprehensive listing of the information, probably why Jamie said to PM him. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for that information, K! Apparently, I'm around box 66xx. Awaiting Jamie's box program from the AC, but at least I now I have an idea of what's happening where up here in Yonkiz...

Again, thanks, and stay safe.

Adam