Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Reimbursement - FIT-5, Class A / CAFS etc & other materials

3 posts in this topic

I was reading stories about turkey fryers at http://firegeezer.com/2011/12/27/turkey-fryer-update-5/. In one of the stories they used a FIT-5 to extinguish the fire - apparently quite successfully.

These obviously aren't a magic pill that's good for every situation, but there are certain cases where they are. However, don't they run at over $1000 a pop? Compared to water, that's quite a big difference.

I was wondering if insurance companies or anyone else would reimburse departments for use of these and reduced damage? I suppose in a career department it could be justified by a reduce time on scene.

How about some of these other additives? Class A foam, F-500, Fire Ice etc? They all cost much more than plain ol' water?

Do we as firefighters want to encourage the use of these tools? Maybe not so much? We don't trust new fangled technology? We don't believe that it will make the firefight easier? We don't want the firefight to be easier?

I was reading stories about turkey fryers.... In one of the stories they used a FIT-5 to extinguish the fire - apparently quite successfully.

These obviously aren't a magic pill that's good for every situation, but there are certain cases where they are. However, don't they run at over $1000 a pop? Compared to water, that's quite a big difference.

I was wondering if insurance companies or anyone else would reimburse departments for use of these and reduced damage? I suppose in a career department it could be justified by a reduce time on scene.

How about some of these other additives? Class A foam, F-500, Fire Ice etc? They all cost much more than plain ol' water?

Do we as firefighters want to encourage the use of these tools? Maybe not so much? We don't trust new fangled technology? We don't believe that it will make the firefight easier? We don't want the firefight to be easier?

Wouldn't a simple dry chem extingusher (refill) be just as good and only about $30?

Did the FIT-5 actually make more of a mess by filling the room, than a standard extingusher might have? I ask because of your insurance question? If its more mess, why would the insurance industry imbrase it?

In regards to fit 5 it all depends on the situation at hand. 2 years ago just after my dept put them in service we had a house fire with flames showing from 2 windows on arrival. Found 2 car in driveway with a pocketbook in one car and thought there might be someone inside with limited manpower on scene. It worked very well knocked fire down enough to get people inside for search and get hoses in place. It didn't put fire out but gave us sometime. The homeowners insurance company reimbursed us for the fit 5.

x129K likes this