Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Expanded "Move Over Law" Takes Effect Jan 1st

7 posts in this topic

NY "Move Over" Law Expands to Include Amber Lights

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2011 | Updated 4:22 PM EST

State police are warning motorists that New York's "move over law" is being expanded as of New Year's Day to include tow trucks, other emergency vehicles and highway crews

NBC Article

Lohud Article

With this New law going into affect how is a tow truck driver (like me) suppose to enforce it? I know they will obey if a Leo behind the incident with the red lights activated, there going to obey the law anyway. Im talking about when there's no one but myself.

With this New law going into affect how is a tow truck driver (like me) suppose to enforce it? I know they will obey if a Leo behind the incident with the red lights activated, there going to obey the law anyway. Im talking about when there's no one but myself.

Tow trucks, HELP trucks, and DOT trucks can't ENFORCE it. All you can do is hope for voluntary compliance or a cop nearby when somebody doesn't move over.

Text of new law:

* § 1144-a. Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or standing authorized emergency vehicle. Every operator of a motor vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with an authorized emergency vehicle which is parked, stopped or standing on the shoulder or any portion of such highway and such authorized emergency vehicle is displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter. For operators of motor vehicles on parkways or controlled access highways, such due care shall include, but not be limited to, moving from a lane which contains or is immediately adjacent to the shoulder where such authorized emergency vehicle displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter is parked, stopped or standing to another lane, provided that such movement otherwise complies with the requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the provisions of sections eleven hundred ten of this title and eleven hundred twenty-eight of this title.

* NB Effective until January 1, 2012

* § 1144-a. Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or standing authorized emergency vehicle or hazard vehicle. (a) Every operator of a motor vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with an authorized emergency vehicle which is parked, stopped or standing on the shoulder or any portion of such highway and such authorized emergency vehicle is displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter. For operators of motor vehicles on parkways or controlled access highways, such due care shall include, but not be limited to, moving from a lane which contains or is immediately adjacent to the shoulder where such authorized emergency vehicle displaying one or more red or combination red and white lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph two of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter is parked, stopped or standing to another lane, provided that such movement otherwise complies with the requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the provisions of sections eleven hundred ten of this title and eleven hundred twenty-eight of this title. (B) Every operator of a motor vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with a hazard vehicle which is parked, stopped or standing on the shoulder or on any portion of such highway and such hazard vehicle is displaying one or more amber lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph three of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter. For operators of motor vehicles on parkways or controlled access highways, such due care shall include, but not be limited to, moving from a lane which contains or is immediately adjacent to the shoulder where such hazard vehicle displaying one or more amber lights pursuant to the provisions of paragraph three of subdivision forty-one of section three hundred seventy-five of this chapter is parked, stopped or standing to another lane, provided that such movement otherwise complies with the requirements of this chapter including, but not limited to, the provisions of sections eleven hundred ten and eleven hundred twenty-eight of this title.

* NB Effective January 1, 2012

Maybe enforce was the wrong term but by the way people are now unless there's a cop with me there gannna pretty much ignore it and drive like they normally do when Im on the side of the road. Im not saying everyone one will but most people.

Just having a law doesn't mean people are going to comply. We can only hope (and pray) that they do.

How long have there been seat belt laws, and people are still getting killed or ejected from vehicles involved in an accident because they don't buckle-up.

Or how about those pesky hands free cellphone use, or texting-while-driving laws?

Or, how about this one, drunk driving?

People are still dying in fires, from smoke and CO, despite laws requiring detectors.

xfirefighter484x likes this

Valid point jack never looked at in that aspect. Guess ill still have to watch my back especially with the distracted drivers like you stated