Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Medic137

Unknown Medical

14 posts in this topic

Has anybody ever called 911 and said "I want an ambulance and I don't know why"?

Every time Putnam 911 gets a call from the Plaza at Clover Lake. The Plaza is an "Assisted Living" facility in Patterson that the staff cannot do anything other then call 911

AHHHHHHH The Plaza my favorite place to visit at 4am... What they need there is an EMT/Security guard that is AED equipped.

Most unknown medicals are either the caller hangs up or improper 911 transfer from PD through our wonderful 911 system. In my area this is the most common occurance to get a unknown med disposition.

I remember the Unknown Comic. Is the Unknown Medical some distant relation?

You say the plaza at clover lake is in patterson.

838 Fair St Patterson NY 12563

Yes. Most unknown medical calls are generated from a Primary Answering Piont(This means COPS) that did not transfer or obtain info.

It's very common. More than you could ever know.

The Plaza has a Carmel Mailing address although it is in the Patterson Fire District.

Is it possible that some calls are dispatched as "unknown medical" beacuse the dispatcher doesn't want to and/or can't said over the air the reason for an ambulance.

For example: S/P rape

or

at 3am Finger Laceration

Is that a possibility?

Is it possible that some calls are dispatched as "unknown medical"  beacuse the dispatcher doesn't want to and/or can't said over the air the reason for an ambulance.  

For example: S/P rape

or

at 3am Finger Laceration

Is that a possibility?

If there is injuries as a result of a violent crime the address shouldn't be given unless the scene is secure! For volly agencies, get the crew in quarters and give the info via the phone.

The ambulance should by placed on stand by, either in quarters or nearby the call location, any await confirmation from PD that the scene is secure.

If the dispatcher has any indication something is wrong, notify PD and have the ambulance standy by. Do not give out the address over the air!

I have been in the awkward situation of being dispatched to a "difficulty breathing". Upon arrival I learned that the breathing difficulty (hyperventalation) was a result of a domestic dispute and the other party was sleeping in the next room! I was fortunate enough to get the patient outside and waited in my vehicle untill arrival of the bus and PD.

An unknown medical is generally stated because someboyd called third party for an ambulance, and does not know the specifics.

Unfortunetly, I feel a large percentage of the time,it is because there are some poorly-skilled calltakers who do not pursue the information further, or do not take the time to listen or comprehend what the caller has to say.

Truck and X I was not defending anybody, just trying to point out that even if everything is done correctly it might be dispatched as an unknown medical. Granted not as often as it is dispatched. I guess I didn't make my point clearly, sorry. Also I believe that all dispatchers should be EMD certified. What happens when a Police department hangs up the phone (doesn't transfer) and the calls the EMS/Fire Dispatcher without all of the information?

ACTUALLY...most of the "Unknown medicals" that Putnam 911 receives are from automated devices that do not transmit voice to the alarm company and that's how the alarm company relays it to 911