Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYC Corrections ESU Trucks

8 posts in this topic

First off, I don't understand why all of NYPD ESU's are on a heavier duty, larger chasis like this. But I guess the Ford F-550's are just as heavy duty and the current bodys are just the right size for patrol. But you think that they (NYPD ESU) could use the extra space as well for the ever-increasing terrorism equipment they carry.

http://www.odysseyauto.com/vehicles/rescue/city_hd_esu.html

Just one question, what does NYC Corrections ESU do?

http://www.nyc.gov/h...about/esu.shtml

Emergency Service Unit

The Department of Correction's Emergency Services Unit is the elite, tactical team the Department relies on during emergencies that rise above the level any individual facility has the capability to respond to. A part-time division with only 17 members up until as recently as 1995, the ESU today has 114 staff members assigned to it and is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The primary tool of the ESU has been the TSO, or Tactical Search Operation, which has made ESU so key in helping the Department achieve its unprecedented record in reducing violence levels in recent years. During a typical TSO, a team of ESU officers enters a jail to assist the facility in maintaining order and retrieving any contraband materials in the possession of inmates.

ESU's Rapid Response Team is on call to conduct daily jail search operations and respond to any crises 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In such cases, teams made up of a minimum of ten Rapid Response officers, plus one commander, respond to heightened security alerts on the Island, such as an inmate escape attempt or potential inmate riot situations.

With their own separate training center, ESU officers receive highly specialized training in the use of Chemical Agents as an alternative to physical confrontations, and in the use of defensive Electronic Immobilization Shields. Training also includes Search and Mobilization, Barricade Response, Tactical Formations, and Firearms, among other areas. Mandatory physical training guarantees that ESU officers will always meet the challenge during a crisis.

ESU's Security/ Intelligence office also assists the Department's Special Operations Division in monitoring and safeguarding the security of Rikers Island.

ESU also receives assistance from another Special Operations Division unit, the Canine Unit, consisting of 17 specially trained officers. The unit currently includes 16 dogs; seven patrol dogs, six narcotics dogs, and six bloodhounds; each trained from about one year to assist on tactical search operations, searches for contraband materials, and to aid in high-risk crisis situations that might arise.

The Emergency Services Unit currently maintains three Utility Vehicle Trucks, which are designed to transport ESU personnel to the site of an emergency and provide the necessary tools needed for resolution of crisis situations.

The Emergency Services Unit, the Department's 24-hour-a day crisis management team, is designed to handle any emergency at a moment's notice.

Edited by helicopper
Source and link added. Copied content put in quotes.

Although it has alot of space, that truck wouldn't be a convenient REP for routine patrol.

Bull McCaffrey and streetdoc like this

Although it has alot of space, that truck wouldn't be a convenient REP for routine patrol.

And the REP's always have the truck (and additional REP's) to back them up. I'm pretty sure this is one stop shopping for DOC.

They have fire vehicles stationed at Rikers but only as as brigade. Firefighting duties are handled by FDNY.

First off, I don't understand why all of NYPD ESU's are on a heavier duty, larger chasis like this. But I guess the Ford F-550's are just as heavy duty and the current bodys are just the right size for patrol. But you think that they (NYPD ESU) could use the extra space as well for the ever-increasing terrorism equipment they carry.

http://www.odysseyauto.com/vehicles/rescue/city_hd_esu.html

Just one question, what does NYC Corrections ESU do?

NYPD ESU has been in the game for quite a long time. If they're doing it a certain way, it's probably cause its tried and true. If I remember correctly, they have a separate detail within the unit that is solely responsible for HAZMAT/Terrorism duties. I believe they're quartered in uptown Manhattan.