Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAM502

Auto lockout??

15 posts in this topic

I don't know if this should be in fire rescue or here so if you guy's wanna move it feel free ( yea I know like I really had to say that). Who goes on a auto lockout? (just a regular "damn, there go my keys right there on the dash #-o " no extraordinary circumstances) I have noticed over the past few year less and less PD and FD's will open your car for you.

And why wouldn't you ?

I had once locked the fly car keys in it. The supervisor took home the spare keys, I called the local PD and they came and said they couldn't do it because it had power locks. So the supervisor had to come and on lock my fly car. most people tell you to call a tow truck.

Most PD's (possibly some FD's) will handle (or attempt) if the car is running, or if there is a child locked in the car.

Yea I know. Gotta say personally I think that stinks. :sad: Ever wait for a tow truck when it is just some little thing like that?

Most PD's (possibly some FD's) will handle (or attempt) if the car is running, or if there is a child locked in the car.

Cam said "no extraordinary circumstances"

A child locked in the car I believe would be a extraordinary circumstance

The reason most agencies do not do MVLO's anymore is because of the amount of electronics in doors these days. there is more of a chance that using a slim jim will break a wire to the power windows or locks than move the lock connection. Then there is the urban legend about the door airbag and the slim jim

As some of you have said, i believe it comes down to the electronics in vehicles today. Not to mention side-impact-airbags in the doors & everywhere else! I think there may be too much liability on the end of the FD's & PD's & they won't even attempt it.

I know that the Fairview FD will do auto lock-outs, or at least they used to (i found out the hard way #-o ). I was taking a final at WCC when i went there & of course i was in a rush & locked my keys in the car. I had no time to worry about until i was done with my test. I called all my friends and they were either not home or busy. I was hoping one of them could go to my house, use the garage door code & go in and get my spare set, but of course not. I finally got a hold of my friend John (aka Remember585) & he told me to call the Fairview FD. I kindly informed him that the car wasn't on fire, i just locked the keys in it lol. But i took his advise and gave them a call. They were a bit tied up so the FF at the housewatch told me to wait patiently. After about 20-30 minutes i see this station wagon pull up, yeah it was the Chiefs vehicle & man did i feel like an a$$. 2 guys got out and started talking to me and looking at the cars locking mechanism, but weren't doing much. They said they had to wait for 175 & i asked "as in Engine-175?" And sure enough, E175 pulled up with its crew & they all started going to work on my car, of course busting my chops the whole time (all in good fun). Sorry to ramble on, just thought it was a funny lock-out story. So yeah, Fairview FD used to do them (still may) and i believe some other career FD's down County may do them as well.

I think Fairview FD does alot of that kind of stuff

Motor vehicle lock out is not an emergency. If you call me and it is an emergency I will take the window and the emergency is over for me. as for the emegency inside the car, that can now be handled. With this in mond the dispatcher can save lots of time for the people on seen if they tell the caller " the fire department will be there as soon as possible to break the window, If you feel its necessary you can break it your self now" other wise wait for a tow truck or lock smith.

Air bags and electronics are a big issue. They do make this neet little set of "keys" which are actually blanks that you can manipulate the tumblers and pins into proper sequence(takes some practice) Alot of tow companies are going to that method. It is kinda hard to lock them in the car these days anyway. The newer GM's at least if you leave the key in the ignition and hit the lock--all doors lock then the drivers side pops back up--besides--I only LOCK my vehicle with the button--which is attached to the keys. I realize--and now it will probably happen to me--lockouts do happen--there is always a way in to the vehicle!!!

Very true Homer. FD's protect property too. Not to mention if you could open the door why not help your fellow motorist ( even though they wouldn't get out of the way the other day. LOL j/k).

Many also won't do it because there is always that 10%. There are those that have gone after damages for scratches, etc. from PD's opening doors. The dept. I was once part of stopped because of this, call volume just didn't warrant it and also as stated electronics and the fact that many of the tools used today manufacturers put guards in making them difficult at best and opening doors with bulgarious tools isn't a academy topic.

ONSTAR, The wave of the future. Almost all GM vehicles are equipped with Onstar. Just call up and "Big Brother" in the Sky unlocks the doors and just in case you lose your car they will sound the horns also.

I used to work for one of our local tow companies, and we generally handled the majority of vehicular lock-outs in Croton. Our PD used to do them, but with the overwhelming demand for people to sue one another, they stopped doing it. The only time they will is if it's a potential hazard, like a kid or animal locked in the car. Our FD doesn't do them.

SIMPLY PUT IT IS A LIABILITY ISSUE IN MANY AREAS HOLDING THE MUNICIPALITY LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE ALLEGEDLY CAUSED BY A CITY EMPLOYEE TRYING TO DO A GOOD DEED. YPD ESU CARRIES A COMPLETE LOCKOUT KIT SYSTEM, BUT FOLLOWS A SPECIFIC CRITERIA COVERED THOUGHOUT THE ABOVE POSTS. A CHILD LOCKED IN A CAR OR ANY OTHER ABNORMAL CIRCUMSTANCE WE WILL RESPOND, IF NOT CALL AAA THEY GET THERE IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES OR SO IN OUR AREA. HOUSE LOCKOUTS ARE COVERED BY YFD UNLESS THEY ARE UNABLE TO RESPOND, THEN ESU WILL ASSIST. BOTTOM LINE IS BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOCK YOURSELF OUT. STAY SAFE.