Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Battalion Chief Question

10 posts in this topic

Question for one of the FDNY members or anyone who might know. Is a newly appointed battalion chief automatically assigned to a numbered batallion or could he or she be assigned to a safety battalion or other batallion chief duty that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance.

They get assigned to a division. Then, they cover all over the city. I have a friend who has been a BC for about 2 years, and he doesn't have a permanent spot, but covers in the 7th Division primarily. I know another guy who has been covering for longer than that.

So they cover for a Division Chief in that position, or do they ride as their aides? Then, they fill in for Battalion Chiefs?

No a Division Chief is higher then a Battalion Chief a Division Chief holds the rank of Deputy Chief. In each Division there are a number of Battalions anywhere from 4 to 7 I think. If lets say one of the permanant BC assigned to Battalion 12 is on vacation or other typ leave one of the floating BC would cover. I believe that is how it works. If you want the entire break down here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_the_New_York_City_Fire_Department

To work in the Rescue Battalion or Safety Battalion or Hazmat Battalion, you need special training.

Any Battalion Chief can be designated the "Safety Chief" at a 2nd Alarm or special incident, except if it is an "ABC" which is a captain who is an "Acting Battalion Chief" just for the tour. They will make the "ABC" the Resource Unit Leader.

Newly promoted BC's are assigned to a Battalion, but probably will hardly ever work there. They spend most of their time travelling the entire city.

Edited by e92l44

So they cover for a Division Chief in that position, or do they ride as their aides? Then, they fill in for Battalion Chiefs?

No, as stated, the division chief is a deputy chief. The division office is staffed with 4 Deputy Chiefs (1 works at a time), a Captain who serves as the office manager and a few firefighters. This office handles officer staffing for the entire division. They assign more junior officers, who don't have a company assignment, to work a tour someplace when someone is sick or on vacatsion, ect. This is the same for battalion chiefs. Occasionally, a Battalion Chief may work in the division for a tour. This is called an ADC, acting division chief. They will then fill that battalion with a captain who will ABC, acting battalion chief.

The division office is staffed with 4 Deputy Chiefs (1 works at a time), a Captain who serves as the office manager and a few firefighters. This office handles officer staffing for the entire division.

Technically anybody can be the office manager. I've seen plenty of Lieutenants do the job. They try to get a good manager. They do staffing for the division in conjunction with OAD who takes their excess bodies (SA) and gives them excess bodies from outside the division. Division staffing flucuates too some have quite a few officers and firefighters and some have skeleton crews.

Occasionally, a Battalion Chief may work in the division for a tour. This is called an ADC, acting division chief. They will then fill that battalion with a captain who will ABC, acting battalion chief.

Acting Battalion Chiefs and Acting Division Chiefs are chosen by who is on a current promotion list and then seniority. The battalion would first be filled by an SA Battalion Chief if available and then an ABC.

Just clarifying :)

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I had no idea they assigned the new BCs throughout the city.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I had no idea they assigned the new BCs throughout the city.

Technically anyone can work around the city.

Firefighters on overtime get assigned to other boroughs.

Covering Lieutenants and Captains are sent on their way when their assigned division has no vacancies.

Technically anyone can work around the city.

Firefighters on overtime get assigned to other boroughs.

Covering Lieutenants and Captains are sent on their way when their assigned division has no vacancies.

Just a quick story- one afternoon,when was a newly promoted captain,I was called by the OAD (officer assignment desk) and told to report to a S. Bronx engine company to do my 6x9 (night) tour. I got there plenty early (it was where I was assigned as a probie,24 yrs earlier,so I was somewhat excited). The day tour officer said-sorry,Cap-there must be a mistake- I'm working for the Captain tonite- he just went full-duty yesterday from medical leave.

Ok, so I called OAD and they explained the situation. SO,they said go to Ozone Park, Queens, to Eng ?. After getting directions from the brothers in the Bronx, I headed there. After the toll over the Triboro, and an hour of driving, I got there. Of course they were out of quarter! When they got back I tracked down the engine officer- he said No, we don't need an officer- I'm working a mutual tonie for the captain. On the phone again to OAD- oh, sorry,they said- go to the Rockaways (Queens) to the "Big house" (only FDNY house w/ 2 engines and a truck). Another toll, and another 40 minutes of driving! Total of 4 tolls (there and back home) and who knows how much gas and driving! Get promoted and see the world! At least I caught a "job" in a PD, so it wasn't a total waste.

batt2 and 16fire5 like this