Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Beekman's New Utility 34-67

14 posts in this topic

Beekman's new 34-67.

GK is pleased to have the opportunity to build a new utility vehicle for the Beekman NY Fire District . Shown below are the work-in-progress photos and the finished product !!

Beekman Specs: Dodge 5500 4 x 4 Crew Cab Chassis, GK Custom Aluminum Body. Amdor Roll-up Doors with LED Compartment Lighting, Whelen NFPA LED Warning Light package, Whelen LED Traffic Advisor, Will-Burt 12 volt LED Light Tower

http://www.gowansknight.com/beekmanutilitypage.htm

TAPSJ and JetPhoto like this

It's about time a company is wise enough to order a Cummins for a utility. I love it.

Great looking truck. Best of luck with it!

Nice truck. Good luck with her.

Maybe someday the Chevrons on all these rigs will go to the wayside. What a shame to have such nice apparatus and then to place chevrons on the back of them.....YUCK. Let's hope they stop the madness someday. I've said it before Fire trucks are still gonna get hit from behind Chevrons are not gonna reduce accidents. Stupid drivers will never stop.....

Nice truck. Good luck with her.

Maybe someday the Chevrons on all these rigs will go to the wayside. What a shame to have such nice apparatus and then to place chevrons on the back of them.....YUCK. Let's hope they stop the madness someday. I've said it before Fire trucks are still gonna get hit from behind Chevrons are not gonna reduce accidents. Stupid drivers will never stop.....

I don't agree with the "YUCK," per se, but you do have a point. Some of us from the horse-and-buggy days will remember red trucks being demonized as "unsafe" and "slime lime" was the newest, bestest, safest idea for fire apparatus. I think chevrons will someday fall into the same category, simply because the "wow" factor will eventually wear off to most people. I also have the same mixed feelings about adding a blue light on the rear of the trucks, too. I'm sure police cruisers are no safer now because they have red and blues than they did a few years ago (down here in PA, reds and blues have been the norm since the 70s).

I wouldn;t hold my breath on the chevrons. They're only spreading to more vehicles and more surfaces. One thing I can say for them is there's at least some behavioral science to justify the theory that they'll reduce accidents. As opposed to vehicle or light color, where people keep assuming that brighter is better.

Nice... Similar to Cos Cob's Squad 2. Like the light tower.

coscobfire.org

I don't agree with the "YUCK," per se, but you do have a point. Some of us from the horse-and-buggy days will remember red trucks being demonized as "unsafe" and "slime lime" was the newest, bestest, safest idea for fire apparatus. I think chevrons will someday fall into the same category, simply because the "wow" factor will eventually wear off to most people. I also have the same mixed feelings about adding a blue light on the rear of the trucks, too. I'm sure police cruisers are no safer now because they have red and blues than they did a few years ago (down here in PA, reds and blues have been the norm since the 70s).

I see that all the new Fdny rigs are hitting the streets with a blue light in the rear. Is that because blue is a brighter light vs red???. In ct the police have blue and red in the light bars but colors are not helping the Connecticut state police because in the past I say 10 months they have been hit several times all over the state. The drivers just don't slow down period no matter what is happening on the side of the road. A new law started in 2011 states that drivers wil merge over one lane when they see flashing lights including our tow truck brothers. I have not seen a single car with ct plates merge over yet.

I'm all for placing that rig between the lanes but with that,In my own department guys don't take the lane every time they just pull up behind the accident scene. That's not in my pay grade to fix. I'm starting to wonder if accidents are picking up because the rigs have so much lights on them that the human eye is sucked into the lights and bam another accident. But I'm no scientist

When you travel in the deep south Police cars have only a lightbar and maybe a rear set of lights that's it. I wonder if they have the same amount accidents???

I see that all the new Fdny rigs are hitting the streets with a blue light in the rear. Is that because blue is a brighter light vs red???.

Without getting into a discussion about lights... It has been proven that blue warning lights can be seen from farther distances in all weather, than compared to red or amber lights.

On a side note, I love that truck! What will it be used for?

Edited by firedude

I blame the increase in emergency vehicle accidents on civilian driver inattention, with cars that drive with little or no concentration and the numerous distractions inside the vehicle people have become "lazy" while driving. Another big reason for more accidents involved in mva's is due to the increased population of cars on the road AND the increased call volume which places more emergency vehicles on the road.

The truck will replace the current 34-67 which was Beekman's Rescue before they got their new rescue pumper. The now "old" 34-67 was sold to Beekman by Millbrook after Millbrook bought its new rescue in November 2004 and Beekman was down a rig as a result of an mva.

The truck is going to be a traffic control truck I believe. With cones, flares, etc unless the plan has changed.

Edited by Jason S

This convo' about Beekman's new utility. Let's try to keep this on topic.