Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfrd18

Jersey City, NJ FD Question

7 posts in this topic

According to their Wikipedia article, staffing for the Jersey City Fire Department was reduced to 20 fire companies out of 26 in the department(excluding Battalion Chiefs), and the department's Arson Squad duties were transfered to JCPD in early 2011. Then in September, 2011, the city increased staffing to 24 fire companies when 63 new firefighters were hired.

For anyone who does not know, the Jersey City Fire Department is I believe the second largest fire department in New Jersey, operating out of 15 Fire Stations in 14.8 square miles, protecting a population of over 247,500 people. Jersey City is the second largest city in New Jersey located in Hudson County, across the river from Lower Manhattan. The department did staff a total of 15 Engines, 9 Ladders, 1 Rescue, and 1 Squad(save all special units) in 4 Battalions with a Deputy Chief. However, with these recent developments regarding the reduction of staffed companies, I'm not sure what and how many companies are still operating.

I was wondering if anyone had any updated information regarding the closure of companies in Jersey City, as well as what companies were closed, if any Battalions were deactivated like in Newark, and what units are currently in service?

Dont quote me, but i think they were more in the way of brownouts then actual closures.

Okay. Any idea which companies?

Not %100 sure, but i think Marine unit and a battalion were 2 of them.

The boat was cross staffed with a land based engine company and the boat was bought with Homeland Security fund so I doubt they can really shutdown the boat although I've heard they (=Homeland Security) are not really impressed with the amount of time the boat see any action. JCPD ESU has a big RHI the does see much action either. NYPD Harbor is the typical responder in JC waters.

Edited by NJMedic

The boat was cross staffed with a land based engine company and the boat was bought with Homeland Security fund so I doubt they can really shutdown the boat although I've heard they (=Homeland Security) is not really impressed with the amount of time the boat see any action. JCPD ESU has a big RHI the does see much action. NYOD Harbor is the typical responder in JC waters.

Correct. I believe Engine 2 cross-staffs the Fireboat, but the crews of either Rescue 1 or the Squad might also.

the 4th batalion is browned out when they are short a Bat chief

sfrd18 likes this