Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Fire District Operations

14 posts in this topic

Since the voters turned down the bond on this project (twice?) and that was in boom times, then the commissioners said they would just save for a few years and build it without the voters approval, I wonder how the voters will respond, particularly the next time they are asked to buy a rig or anything else?

The above was posted in a different thread but to avoid taking that thread off topic I copied it here.

Municipal governments are not allowed to "roll-over" or "bank roll" surpluses in the budget and contingency funds are strictly regulated (as to amount and access for use). I'm wondering how fire districts (and this is not limited to Yorktown as I know of others doing the same thing) have avoided bonding major projects by budgeting that results in a surplus that can be siphoned off for special projects like buildings that have not passed bonding referendums.

What's the law on this? Anyone familiar with fire district operations out there that can enlighten us?

On the subject of fire district operations, can two (or more) fire districts merge operationally but maintain separate and distinct boards of commissioners?

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe they can "bank" a percentage of the budget toward future capital expenditures. As I recall, however, the goal has to be defined (X dollars for Y years for Z project/purchase). It cannot be an open ended account.

On the subject of fire district operations, can two (or more) fire districts merge operationally but maintain separate and distinct boards of commissioners?

Yes, you can also legally have 1 board with 2 operations that do not work together, but what would be the point of that.

You can have a reserve, capital/truck, but once the proper amout is there you still have to go out for referendum. It is required by law. But there is a certain $ amout you don't have to, I think under $25,000.

You can have a reserve, capital/truck, but once the proper amout is there you still have to go out for referendum. It is required by law. But there is a certain $ amout you don't have to, I think under $25,000.

You have to go out to bid (unless you're using state bid), you do NOT have to go to referendum. My fire district pays for their trucks using a truck reserve fund and has never gone to referendum for the purchase of a new truck.

I was referring to the capital improvement, sorry for the confusion.

You have to go out to bid (unless you're using state bid), you do NOT have to go to referendum. My fire district pays for their trucks using a truck reserve fund and has never gone to referendum for the purchase of a new truck.

In order for a fire district to spend money from a reserve fund for a big ticket item (fire house, apparatus, etc.), the commissions must form a resolution (vote) in order to do so. After the vote, a permissive referendum must be advertised in the districts designated newspaper (in the legal ads).

Here is an example of a permissive referendum taken from the Brentwood, Long Island Fire District website:

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN BY The Board of Fire Commissioners of the Brentwood Fire District that at a meeting held on the 30th day of January 2012, at Fire Headquarters; Fourth Street; Brentwood, New York; to approve the expenditure of funds not to exceed $750,000.00 from the Apparatus Reserve Fund for the following:

The Purchase of Fire Department Hose, Firefighter Turn-out Gear, Firefighter Personal Harness System and Related Equipment

This Resolution is published as a result of the motion made on the 30th day of January 2012, by Commissioner John Carney, 2nd by Commissioner Eric Raudies and unanimously approved for the expenditure of funds not to exceed $750,000.00 from the Apparatus Reserve Fund for the purchase of Fire Department Hose, Firefighter Turn-out Gear, Firefighter Personal Harness System and Related Equipment and that if the voters of the Brentwood Fire District submit sufficient names on a proper petition within 30 days of the date of this publication, then this Resolution shall be put to a referendum of the taxpayers of the Brentwood Fire District. Should there be no petition then this Permissive Referendum will become final upon the compliance of the Laws of the State of New York.

By Order of

Board of Fire Commissioners

Brentwood Fire District

Once the permissive referendum is advertised any objectors can submit a request for referendum by petition where a vote would then take place once the proper amount of signatures are presented. Should there be no objectors with in the time frame, then the permissive referendum passes where the district can then start the biding process where yet another advertisement must be place in the legal ads for the acceptance of bids.

Edited by TRUCK6018

In order for a fire district to spend money from a reserve fund for a big ticket item (fire house, apparatus, etc.), the commissions must form a resolution (vote) in order to do so. After the vote, a permissive referendum must be advertised in the districts designated newspaper (in the legal ads).

Once the permissive referendum is advertised any objectors can submit a request for referendum by petition where a vote would then take place once the proper amount of signatures are presented. Should there be no objectors with in the time frame, then the permissive referendum passes where the district can then start the biding process where yet another advertisement must be place in the legal ads for the acceptance of bids.

So then the big question is did the YHFD board of commissioners do this?

In order to force a vote on expenditure of monies a petition must be presented that represents a certain percentage of the of the assessed value of the fire district properties.

The tax payers need to attend every fire district meeting and read the legal notices in the designated paper every day. How many of us do this? Not many, that is how these people get away with what they do.

I wouldn't put it that they are "getting away" with anything. As long as the permissive referendum was in place, the law was followed.

If those who are against the fire house (NIMBY's) don't like it, it is them that should have been attending the board meetings, or at least read the minutes of said meetings. After the bond referendums were defeated it was made clear that the funds would be saved to follow through with the project.

It will be interesting to see if the cavalier attitude of the commissioners costs them their position come election time.

It will be interesting to see if the cavalier attitude of the commissioners costs them their position come election time.

I keep seeing the word "commissioner"...I thought that was long hand for the true title...."ex chief trying to continue instilling their will and way in the department." At least that's what I had a old timer tell me some moons ago.

Several years ago the whole board ofThe Millwood fire comissioners with the exception of one was given the gate when their turn to run came up.

There is now a mix of figh fighters and civilians, the good old boy culture has lost its power.