Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT111

NYPD psych exam questions

3 posts in this topic

On the NYPD psych exam, what do they ask about previous psychological history, mainly seeking professional help? Is it through out your entire life, within a certain time period? Also, is it true that if you answer yes to having seen a psychiatrist, you're pretty much screwed in terms of getting hired? I've been hearing a lot about this exam lately and between what I'm hearing about the psych test as well as some of the things I hear about the NYPD in general such as the new "officers can't wear anything with the NYPD logo off duty" policy is starting to turn me off a little bit to taking the NYPD exam, which has basically been my first choice department since I decided I wanted to be a cop.

On the NYPD psych exam, what do they ask about previous psychological history, mainly seeking professional help? Is it through out your entire life, within a certain time period? Also, is it true that if you answer yes to having seen a psychiatrist, you're pretty much screwed in terms of getting hired? I've been hearing a lot about this exam lately and between what I'm hearing about the psych test as well as some of the things I hear about the NYPD in general such as the new "officers can't wear anything with the NYPD logo off duty" policy is starting to turn me off a little bit to taking the NYPD exam, which has basically been my first choice department since I decided I wanted to be a cop.

Just answer the question and tell the truth 100%. If you have seen a Psychiatrist in the past for what ever reason thats ok.Just answer the questions to the best of your knowledge don't leave anything about your medical history out or say you forgot.Don't listen to what others are saying about the exam 7/8 of them don't even have a badge.

I took the exams several years ago in hopes to cross the floor to the Fire Department some day because of the fact that i was older than 27 and could not take the FD test anymore.

The Invetigators do make the rounds so you better be living where you ssay on that application.

At the time they were waiving the college credits around so you could get hired if you were short credits. You had to get them when you were in better position after the Police academy thoe.

Still a great job with plenty of avenues to transfer to different jobs once you got your sea legs.

xfirefighter484x and grumpyff like this

As mentioned, be honest. The written exam is the usual 1200 questions, many of which are asked repeatedly, or worded very closely to each other. You really cant lie on it. From there you will sit down with a psychiatrist who has reviewed your written exam, and ask you questions based on that. During my interview they asked numerous times how much I drank alcohol, which back then wasn't much (2 kids under 2 didn't leave much time to drink.) Do not get offended by their questioning. Remain calm, and if questioned on something, explain what happened. I know someone who cursed out the psychiatrist during the interview and failed on that alone.

With the T-shirt nonsense, and other BS that goes on with the JOB, it is what it is. Cops are never happy, and the job tends to overreact with certain things. In a few months they will find something else to harp on, and you will see t-shirts again. For a while they made a big deal about visible tattoos (those hired after 2007 if IIRC) have to keep them covered with clothing or a wrap that is close to the color of your skin, now not so much. Right now in the Transit Bureau the big thing is Metrocards, swipe going to post, on post, before a train run, after a train run, to meal, from meal, on a directed patrol, swipe everywhere you go, even answering a job. they are trying to track us via the Metrocard. It was tried once before, and was a hot topic for a month or two. Every job has its share of BS, even up here in the burbs.

Good Luck with the psych. Best advice I got, take every civil service test you can. PD and FD, even if you have no shot of getting hired (for example Yonkers even if you are a non-resident). Every test is a practice for you, and you will get a feel for how the exam process works. There is only so many ways they can ask questions. After a while taking the tests you become more relaxed with it. I know when I took the FDNY test in 1992, I was nervous as hell, by the time I took the NYPD exam in 1998 I was real calm. In between I took Stamford, CT PD & FD, Mt Vernon PD &FD, Yonkers PD & FD, Westchester County towns and villages PD & FD, plus filed for a bunch of jobs in upstate NY that were given on the same day (all taken right here in Westchester). After a while all the questions were familair.