Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Yonkers apparatus

5 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what Yonkers runs in terms of spare, reserve and training apparatus.

Thanks.

I was just wondering what Yonkers runs in terms of spare, reserve and training apparatus.

Thanks.

according to Westchester County Fire Apparatus: Yonkers - Spare Apparatus

6 Spare Engines (E300, E315, E316, E317, E318 & E319), 1 Spare Squad (S21), 5 Spare Ladders (L76, L77, L78, L80 & L81), 1 Spare Rescue (R2) and 1 Spare Command/Battalion (B3)

Edited by firedude

according to Westchester County Fire Apparatus: Yonkers - Spare Apparatus

6 Spare Engines (E300, E315, E316, E317, E318 & E319), 1 Spare Squad (S21), 5 Spare Ladders (L76, L77, L78, L80 & L81), 1 Spare Rescue (R2) and 1 Spare Command/Battalion (B3)

Firedude is correct. The YFD has an impressive reserve/spare pool. I believe the YFD operates 3 Spare Engines(300, 315, 316), 3 Reserve Engines(317, 318, 319), 2 Spare Ladders(77, 78), 3 Reserve Ladders(76, 81, 81), and the rest of the units as mentioned above. I think the spare rigs come un-equipped and fill in as rigs for companies whose front-line rigs are OOS. Reserve rigs come pre-equipped(and are newer than the spares), and serve as call-back rigs as their primary function, and serve the same role as spares as their secondary function. Battalion 3 is a call-back BC as used during their recent 3rd Alarm. Squad 21 and Rescue 2 serve as both call-back reserve and spare rigs.

As for training, reserve/spare equipment is probably used. I know at one time, they had Engine's 298 and 299 as training rigs, however, last I heard the Mack rig that ran as Engine 298 is in moth balls at Engine 308's quarters, and I don't know if the Mack that ran as Engine 299 is still in use. Maybe one of the Yonker's guys can help you out.

firedude likes this

Firedude is correct. The YFD has an impressive reserve/spare pool. I believe the YFD operates 3 Spare Engines(300, 315, 316), 3 Reserve Engines(317, 318, 319), 2 Spare Ladders(77, 78), 3 Reserve Ladders(76, 81, 81), and the rest of the units as mentioned above. I think the spare rigs come un-equipped and fill in as rigs for companies whose front-line rigs are OOS. Reserve rigs come pre-equipped(and are newer than the spares), and serve as call-back rigs as their primary function, and serve the same role as spares as their secondary function. Battalion 3 is a call-back BC as used during their recent 3rd Alarm. Squad 21 and Rescue 2 serve as both call-back reserve and spare rigs.

As for training, reserve/spare equipment is probably used. I know at one time, they had Engine's 298 and 299 as training rigs, however, last I heard the Mack rig that ran as Engine 298 is in moth balls at Engine 308's quarters, and I don't know if the Mack that ran as Engine 299 is still in use. Maybe one of the Yonkers's guys can help you out.

As it relates to Engine 298 (Former YFD Engine 306 [Mack CF], I believe that you are correct. I believe that it is downstairs at Station 8 in "Mothballs" next to YFD's Restored 1950's ALF Mid-Mount Truck 5. I also think that YFD sold off Engine 299 a few years ago (I am sure that someone within YFD can confirm)

sfrd18 likes this