Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

FDNY FDR Unit?

5 posts in this topic

Can someone explain what the purpose of this unit is? What does it do? What does it hold? What does it respond to? Does FDR stand for FDR Drive or a special unit? It's stationed with Engine 16 and Ladder 7 in the Gramercy Park section of Manhattan.

6848869557_bec7f947e9_z.jpg

Photo Courtesy of jag9889, used with permission.

Edited by firedude
sfrd18 and PVFD233 like this

Can someone explain what the purpose of this unit is? What does it do? What does it hold? What does it respond to? Does FDR stand for FDR Drive or a special unit? It's stationed with Engine 16 and Ladder 7 in the Gramercy Park section of Manhattan.

Although I'm now retired, and current members can provide more current info, there were two (2) FDR units. One was w/ E16/L7 and the other was further uptown on the east side at E39/L16. They were set up to respond to car fires on the FDR Drive, due to weight restricitons on the deteriorating roadway. They used to carry "LOTS" of water/AFFF cans and dry chemical extinguishers-it look like now they have a skid-mounted pump w/ limited water. They would be manned by the engine co. they were housed with if there was an alarm on the FDR.If they could not handle the call w/ the gear they carried, a line would be streched from the nearest hydrant off the highway, and the fire extinguished. I would like to hear from current members what the "response policy" is now.

x129K and firedude like this

yes FDR does stand for the Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive. The road is elevated in certain areas and IIRC the weight of a full size engine might have compromised the road surface, hence the smaller unit.

The FDR unit previously at E44 is now at E22; the unit previously at E16 is no longer in service.

I haven't heard it respond in a while, I believe it's generally only really used for the low-clearance areas on the Drive between 51st and 96 st now. In the past two units were in service because of the reconstruction work resulting in tighter lanes and tougher weight restrictions. It's crossed-staffed by the Engine company.

Edited by ryang
sfrd18 and firedude like this

Actually there were a couple spaces where ladder companies did not have clearance. To the best of my knowledge there are no such places anymore.