Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

WCDES Offering ARFF Training in March

14 posts in this topic

Has the county ever offered a class like this before?

Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting

This is a 12 hour course being held on the following dates:

March 12, 19, 21 from 19:00 to 22:00

Session at Westchester County Airport

March 22 from 19:00 to 22:00

Description: Covers Specialized areas for air transportation industry, such as airport and aircraft familiarization, firefighting agents, rescue, ventilation and forcible entry for both civilian and military.

Target audience: Fire Services personnel

Prerequisites: Firefighter I or Equivalent

Bulletin: 12-33

post-17100-0-82579900-1329450803.png

Edited by firedude

They have done it a couple times before.. it is usually opened up to the airport first responders then everyone else!!!! It is a great class

firedude likes this

I wish I could take it....I can make every day but the last...damn.

To my knowledge, this class hasn't been offered in quite a few years.

We were just discussing this course the other day at my firehouse. A few of our guys, including myself need this course.

Would be a beneficial course for my FD, seeing Stewart Airport is in our 1st due area.

Its been awhile since I've taken a class at WCDES. Anyone know if the courses are opened to "in-county" agencies first?

Have taken that course many times over the span of my career as my engine is one of the First due units to respond .

Edited by PCFD ENG58

To my knowledge, this class hasn't been offered in quite a few years.

We were just discussing this course the other day at my firehouse. A few of our guys, including myself need this course.

Would be a beneficial course for my FD, seeing Stewart Airport is in our 1st due area.

Its been awhile since I've taken a class at WCDES. Anyone know if the courses are opened to "in-county" agencies first?

To the best of my knowledge..priority is always given "in-county" first and then if spots are available as the course is very near..then outside county agency personnel are allowed in. My experience has been this occurs mostly in the more detailed curriculums. I've never had anyone out of Westchester in a FF 1 course.

To the best of my knowledge..priority is always given "in-county" first and then if spots are available as the course is very near..then outside county agency personnel are allowed in. My experience has been this occurs mostly in the more detailed curriculums. I've never had anyone out of Westchester in a FF 1 course.

Thanks Tom, knew I could count on one of the DES guys to answer my questions.

That was kind of how I remembered how things worked. I will be looking into it for sure.

Thanks again bro!

The March 22 session at HPN is on cooperation with the Airport Operations Dept/Fire Brigade. Anyone who is interested should sign up as we can give you a great deal of knowledge on our based aircraft.

firedude likes this

I have in the past given the ARFF class in Wetchester, the 1st 3 nights is classroom and the last night is a tour of westchester co. airport. The main focus has been to make the students aware of the hazards with aircraft incidents and to also make the students aware of how busy the airspace really is over westchester co. I am no longer teaching the class but mt close friend Dave Russell who has a strong background in firefighting too include FDNY and also 25+ years as a USAF firefighter. Dave's own stories will keep you awake with many lifetime incidents from the past that he has experienced. (Don't believe everything he tells you) lol. Take the class and learn from it. Mike,for you orange co. guys I am sure Dave would be willing to go the road with a chance of doing the last night at Stewart. I will mention this to him.

BFD1054 and firedude like this

WOW. When I was part of the HPN Brigade/Airport Ops we had to go to Cincinnati for training. They County gave nothing at all. That was back in the days when we dumped barrels of oil and diesel and burned it on the North part of the airport for training. Those days are long gone. We wer enot even permitted to train at the County Fire Academy or take any county FD training, al political nonsense.

WOW. When I was part of the HPN Brigade/Airport Ops we had to go to Cincinnati for training. They County gave nothing at all. That was back in the days when we dumped barrels of oil and diesel and burned it on the North part of the airport for training. Those days are long gone. We wer enot even permitted to train at the County Fire Academy or take any county FD training, al political nonsense.

This course offered by WCDES is just an introduction for local firefighters and is not the 40 hour class required for ARFF personnel (as per FAR 139.319). However I am surprised airport personel were not allowed at the FTC.

Edited by firedude

This course offered by WCDES is just an introduction for local firefighters and is not the 40 hour class required for ARFF personnel (as per FAR 139.319). However I am surprised airport personel were not allowed at the FTC.

Understand, still better then what we got. Sometime it took years before you got to the class, some never went. The rational behind not letting us attend the FTC is we were not really County employees, the County airport was, not sure if it is, run under contract. Always seemed absurd, since the services we provided were int he County's best interest.

firedude likes this

After several trips to the airport I was very impressed with the knowledge of the airport ops members, they were very well educated on the aircraft that fly in and out of there and they knew the airfield like the back of their hand. It qas a pleasure to conclude the class there with a review of the airport, the ARFF apparatus and the procedures that they followed during a aircraft emergency. Good Job!

Understand, still better then what we got. Sometime it took years before you got to the class, some never went. The rational behind not letting us attend the FTC is we were not really County employees, the County airport was, not sure if it is, run under contract. Always seemed absurd, since the services we provided were int he County's best interest.

It was/is Johnson Controls , before that it was Pan Am long term contracts. I have been out of the loop for a while now, and yes the airport is run by a private company.