Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Rye considers change to fire department structure

38 posts in this topic

That is not true. They had more independent companies & chiefs than we do. The level of BS was so bad that Albany passed a special law to create the "Fire Department of the City of New York" hense FDNY.

And what year was that my good man?

And what year was that my good man?

The one I'm refering to was 1870, their were various on and off uses of the name from 1731-1965. When it became the Metropolitan FD.

M' Ave likes this

The one I'm refering to was 1870, their were various on and off uses of the name from 1731-1965. When it became the Metropolitan FD.

Give or take 100 years ;) Just kidding, aside from the typo, this is correct. "Our Firemen" is a pretty good book about the pre-FDNY NYC fire service. It's really long, not a quick read. More something you pick-up and put down from time to time.

Bnechis and 16fire5 like this

I knew the timeframe...my point was that while I get the point..its not the best one to make in the same regard...little different of doing it in the late 1800's...then trying it today. Even as powerful as the city is if things were like that now...it would still be a huge uphill battle.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Look at some of the counties around Baltimore and D.C., seems to be a decent model....

Honestly many of those models have serious flaws too. I think Montgomery County has it best.

Even as powerful as the city is if things were like that now...it would still be a huge uphill battle.

Agreed and its a real shame. We have departments that will fight against providing anything but the status quo. They remember the good old days when their were waiting lists to join or their was plenty of staff and they keep hoping that some how it will come back. Meanwhile, they are sending rigs with only 1 or 2 members and in many cases, they can not even get out the door with 1 rig.

post-4072-0-63045100-1331122633.jpg

PCFD ENG58 and M' Ave like this

Honestly many of those models have serious flaws too. I think Montgomery County has it best.

I believe that. To be honest, I don't really know ALL that much about some of those county systems. It just seems like a decent model to have a career/volunteer system arranged that way. First condense departments to eliminate redundancy in buildings and apparatus. Allow a larger pool of volunteers to respond to a larger number of runs over a bigger response area. There are plenty of dedicated guys who want to go to more stuff, let'em. Then, place career staffed rigs sporadically throughout, more heavily concentrated in the areas with the highest run volume. Like I said earlier, there is still room in the county for some cities to remain autonomous due to size, ect..

Having spent a good deal of time there and in consultation with the administration in Montgomery I have to whole heartedly agree. There's is one of the most truly integrated systems going and IMO would make a good model to emulate.

Cogs