Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD113

CO Detectors--What Apparatus Should They Be On?

16 posts in this topic

Let's start off by saying the number of CO calls has dramatically gone done (at least in my district) since the "first generation" of detectors. This brings me to the question (and I will explain later) of which piece of apparatus does the CO detector belong on? We have 2 stations and 2 detectors. What does everyone else have and where is it? and of course--why that piece?

We keep a Scott 4 Gas meter on the first due engine out of each station (Along with a TIC). We also a small diffusion CO meter in each chiefs car in case the engine doesnt get out.

Our (Larchmont) Detectors are on the engine that will be first responding to CO calls as well as the Truck. In my opinion, an engine should always carry one and be present at a CO alarm. You never know what the cause may be.....fire?

First off- in Somers, we do not carry a CO detector- we carry 4-Gas Detectors.

They are located on all 4 Front line Engines

Engines 180, 181, 185, and 188.

the small CO detectors are fairly cheap that you could have them in all 3 chiefs cars and the first responding unit

Good input thus far. Ed I do stand corrected--we also run with 2 Multi-Gas meters not just CO detecters. We do carry a mini unit in the Rescue for now. My feeling is -- for one-you never know the situation when dispatched to a CO call aside from the fact that SOP is for FF's to don SCBA- you may need other equipment--ie--vent fan etc. We get a call for a smell of propane-we roll the same response as a reported structure etc. We HAD the meters on our brush trucks(aka mini attacks). We had 2 SCBA on each of them. For a number of reasons we have relocated the units to the 1st due engines. I can see so far that it seems we have made an appropriate change. Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

My Dept. carries 2 multi gas meters on our Rescue truck.. In the past year our Dept. had decided to give personal CO detectors to our Deputy Chiefs.. Honestly, I disagree with 2 on the Rescue, since half the time it doesn't respond. There should be one placed on your primary Engine Co. And about the personal detectors, the wrong ones got em'

Put it on each first due unit out of those stations or.....whatever apparatus you designate for CO Alarm assignments. Kuddos on noticing the amount of CO nuisance alarms decreasing. This is because of improvements in the UL2034 standard for them, the testing that is done on them and improvements in technology that allows better monitoring systems to fit and be used in that capacity.

More important question...Does your department respond lights and sirens to a CO call with no symptoms?

Als- In reference to the response to Co alarms. Activation with symptoms would be a lights/sirens emergency mode, and w/o would be no lights/sirens. But in either way the crew doing the investigation should be wearing full PPE w/ airpack.

This is my question- What is everyones procedure when operating at a CO alarm? Air pack or no air pack?

My personal opinon about the mini-detectors that were issued to the deputy chiefs (and chiefs), they should be on the jump kits on the ambulances. (PD's med bags should have them too.) An EMS call for a person feeling ill, could very well be a CO call. Remember, our saftey is #1. Don't become part of the problem!

Not to stray too long but the mini monitors are also very useful when doing lets say--OVERHAUL--although SCBA should be worn--it rarely is during overhaul.

Now as far as response to calls--that is a tough question--although you are corect-non emergency response would be appropriate for apparatus for CO with no symptoms. Chief officers maybe to size up the scene, check if the situation has changed etc. A good percentage of calls--for everyone are "non-emergency" but during those times of the day where cars are stacked--you might have to to get there in a resonable amount of time--NOT SAYING GO BALLS TO THE WALL--just leisurely proceed past the traffic.

At least on the first due Engine, First Due Truck(if you have one) and one for at least each chief.

Packs, yes, unless you know for fact its not a CO problem.

Lights/sirens, like 1191stdue said our policy says no for no and yes for yes. (If you get what I mean).

Meters - on every unit that goes on CO calls. Like 648 said too, EMS should have them.

I also agree about overhaul. Worn one during overhaul last summer, almost $hit myself when I saw the level of CO in the room. Thanks to a little hydraulic ventilation (remember cfd320?) we took care of that problem pretty quickly.

chiefs have personal CO and there's a mulit gas in HQ...that way no worries about it not being on the rig that goes to the call. Every time you get off the rig, if you don't know for sure you won't need it, you should have your scba

We carry 1 multi gas on each engine. This allows us to operate independantly of eachother. We run the gas detectors on all calls that involve heating devices such as puff backs,back fires and incidents involving fireplaces. The readings on a few of the above listed things have been super high. Better safe than sorry.

Art has a great idea. It is important for EMS to have CO detectors as well. Progressive departments, like Radnor PA EMS, carry them on their first in bags and have done so for a while. Here's a photo...the unit is very small and clips to the strap of the bag:

Philyl1.jpg