Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
87D124

Agencies on Westchester Trunking System?

9 posts in this topic

I know that Empress, Transcare & WEMS have mobile/portable radios from the County to use on the trunked radio system. My question I have is: Do these ambulance services have their own talk groups for company communications? If the answer is yes, are they permitted to utilize the County trunked systems on a daily basis for their emergency/non-emergency company communications?

If the answer is no, would they be able, under County radio guidelines to get a talk group assignment & be permitted to use this talk group assignment for emergency/non-emergency intra-company communications?

I know that Empress, TranScare & WEMS have mobile/portable radios from the County to use on the trunked radio system. My question I have is: Do these ambulance services have their own talk groups for company communications? If the answer is yes, are they permitted to utilize the County trunked systems on a daily basis for their emergency/non-emergency company communications?

If the answer is no, would they be able, under County radio guidelines to get a talk group assignment & be permitted to use this talk group assignment for emergency/non-emergency intra-company communications?

There are channels that each agency fire or ems are assigned for coordinated communications during incidents.

As far as your other questions....these are probably best answered by the ones who manage the system directly. Always best to go to the source.

I know that Empress, Transcare & WEMS have mobile/portable radios from the County to use on the trunked radio system. My question I have is: Do these ambulance services have their own talk groups for company communications? If the answer is yes, are they permitted to utilize the County trunked systems on a daily basis for their emergency/non-emergency company communications?

To the best of my knowledge, the only TalkGroups on the Fire/EMS side of the System are Fire 10-19, EMS 10-19, Ops 1-10, Tacs 1-10. There are reports of several maintenance TG's (i.e. Training, Admin, Radio Maintenance, etc,) that I have not heard, but I have not heard of these being programmed in the typical Front Line Apparatus.

According to a bulletin that Westchester County put out on the UHF Trunked System in June 2004, the bulletin states "Further, it is not intended to replace any existing Fire Department's or EMS Agency's individual radio communication system". With that said, it is up to each individual agency how they would like to use the Trunked System.

As alsfirefighter stated it is best to contact 60 Control with specific questions.

firedude likes this

One would think that they would expand the network and throw EMS & Fire on the county system full time. It's got to be quite the mess up at 60 to dispatch and talk to all these agencies on the county trunked banks and their own networks.

One would think that they would expand the network and throw EMS & Fire on the county system full time. It's got to be quite the mess up at 60 to dispatch and talk to all these agencies on the county trunked banks and their own networks.

If they had any authority to do so perhaps. But you still have numerous agencies that aren't dispatched by control and in addition you're looking at funding issues for departments to switch completely over. It sounds all good and great...but my agency frequency works just fine and I need staffing not a new radio operation.

Because it does not meet many of the needs of depts.

We met with the county and the system developers well before it went online and they determined it could never be used for what we need on a daily basis, so we set up our own system.

WEMS fly-cars are on the trunk and one of the ALS ambulances have a trunk but only used when going into the 911 system IE medic 4 mutal aid ambulance or something like that. the transport comms has there own radios

Transcare fly cars i believe operate on them but not too sure i thought they were still dispatched by mt pleasant pd. I know White plains they are on the PD frequency and only talk to PD. but when they go mutal aid or have mutal aid coming they are on truck.

Empress... sorry i am not too sure about that i am sure there are people here though

If the truck is registered with DES and was assigned an identifier... does it have to have a trunked radio? I think Yes.

WESTCHESTER COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES APPARATUS PLATE ASSIGNMENTS

WEMS fly-cars are on the trunk and one of the ALS ambulances have a trunk but only used when going into the 911 system IE medic 4 mutal aid ambulance or something like that. the transport comms has there own radios

Transcare fly cars i believe operate on them but not too sure i thought they were still dispatched by mt pleasant pd. I know White plains they are on the PD frequency and only talk to PD. but when they go mutal aid or have mutal aid coming they are on truck.

Empress... sorry i am not too sure about that i am sure there are people here though

I believe the WEMS Ambulance at Bedford Hills Correctional has a trunked too.

The Transcare busses in White Plains (31A1, 31A2) and New Rochelle (30A1, 30A2, 30A3) all use the trunk when responding mutual aid.

The Empress units assigned to the Grasslands Reservation (87A1, 87A2) have trunked radios. I believe certain SOD units also have trunked capabilities.

I think STAT Flight has trunked capabilities as well.

Edited by firedude

If the truck is registered with DES and was assigned an identifier... does it have to have a trunked radio? I think yes.

I think no. Using "have to" is always itchy. Add an apparatus or ambulance to your fleet and see who is responsible for the trunk radio. Guess who is. Replace not a problem. Swap radios. They're not exactly cheap.