Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Very Basic Braun

8 posts in this topic

Braun Ambulance introduced a new model at the EMS Today Conference last week. "The Phil Braun Signature Series"

To me, it looks like a very basic ambulance aimed at the value and commercial sector of their market. Seems very well thought out. I'm not too familiar with Braun anymore, but wonder how this compares to the "Express" model.

http://www.braunambulances.com/Models/SignatureSeries.aspx

It's like the "Mini Slopeside minimod" that Empress used to have, but without the slope.

I also got to say that I really miss the full size Braun slopesides. I wish they still made them, those ambulances handled well, were layed out very nicely, and had very good visibility to the side and rear.

sometimes less is more

yeah but working a fly-car system i have notice the benches aren't as wide as they used to be in the newer models. The drug bag always hits the floor. I usually don't have that problem on the PL and AEV ambulances. and for the price wise an AEV box isn't too bad. but its only for an hour or 30 minutes or so to get the call done and back in the fly-car. But center mounting seems to have become more of a standard which is nice too.

Rural/Metro Central Florida division ran the "mini-modulars" on the Ford van chassis for several years. I always thought they were sharp looking and space innovative despite the smaller size. They have transitioned to a much bigger box similar to the fire service and community based providers and on the GMC/Chevy van chassis. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is/was (Wheeled Coach maybe).

Phil

Rural/Metro Central Florida division ran the "mini-modulars" on the Ford van chassis for several years. I always thought they were sharp looking and space innovative despite the smaller size. They have transitioned to a much bigger box similar to the fire service and community based providers and on the GMC/Chevy van chassis. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is/was (Wheeled Coach maybe).

Phil

If you're referring to the Wheeled Coach Modu-Van with the van chassis, small box and single rear wheels, they did indeed look sharp. We were looking at speccing one out for my volunteer corps in the mid-90's as we wanted to upgrade from the van but had very little money. We test drove one that a neighboring corps had put into service ... the worst handling thing I've ever driven and it felt like you were in a cement mixer in the back.

If you're referring to the Wheeled Coach Modu-Van with the van chassis, small box and single rear wheels,

If I remember correctly, Scarsdale VAC, Eastchester VAC, and Empress all ran the Wheeled Coach Mini Mods at the time they were being marketed.

I remember at Empress they were considered the "50" series.

Yes, those R/M ran down here were the Ford/Wheeled Coach mini-mods. Chrome wheels, nice lighting package,and sharp color/graphics scheme. I understood they had some limitations. A "retired" one would probably make a good support unit (rehab, air, lighting, etc).

The agency I served as reserve EMT with has almost exclusively run the Ford/Wheeled Coach Diesel F series for nearly the past 25 years. The current trucks are all 350s or 450s. The 450s are more "jacked up" looking, almost as if they were 4 wheel drive. I always preferred these to the former Type 3 van modulars. They just rode better and you felt more secure in the cab.

Phil

love it...not sure about the chevy chasis though...