Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Katonah FD Proposes $3 Million Bond for Renovations

34 posts in this topic

I find it rude that you are correcting me, didn't realize we had the grammar police. In which case it's spelt Hawthorne. I apologize my for autocorrect from my phone. You said KFD should be losing engines when they get the ladder and dump one with the tanker. Which I do not disagree with, but you then give a scenario using all the engines and the tanker about laying hose using apparatus you'd like to see gone. Can we get on topic though. This was about renovations not the apparatus or hose.

Touché on the Hawthorne miss... Auto correct as well on my part.

The scenario I proposed included a healthy dose of sarcasm. Maybe trying a stretch to BHFD might make a good drill though....(more sarcasm)

You might find it hard to believe that I won't relent on my point, but honestly I am not surprised that you continue to argue yours, as it seems to be the norm for the justifying the giant waste of taxpayer money that exists in Westchester County.

Ed I have not looked at our website in a while but Katonah did away with 3" hose while I was chief, that was 2000 to 2003 in the beginning we had a split bed of 3" and 5" on 116 the other enginges did have that much 5" back then. My thoughts and theroy on the quint is we need to do more with less. In my thinking and in what I have seen in my time in Katonah if we had a Quint, as first due, and if call is in hydrant district we could do, most if not all with the one combination truck.

I am not here to argue or get anyone angry , but the pizza station would be a good example of having everything in front with one truck. A hydrant with 150 psi and plenty of volume as well aerial, ground ladders, crosslays, all in one shot , full crew on rig, yes we have a lot of traing ahead of us but with the training we have going on, the guys that are doing it, alredy do it for a living and are officers on ladders and a lot of years under there belts we should be good given the time, to become proficent in using it.

Out of the hydrant district Quint with tanker and then we will have to take it from there,either Katonah engines and mutual aid tankers or however it plays out.

You talk about doing more with less, but no matter what trucks are on scene you need manpower. At what point do we stop trying to do more with less and just get more help?

helicopper and waful like this

Let's face it. Katonah has an actual downtown area that would benefit from a first-due Quint. The area could also benefit from a 75' Quint.

Heck, I'm really starting to believe that a Quint should be as standard to a small department as a an Engine.

And let's remember they are not just Quints. They have a ladder that could potentially rescue trapped occupants and save lives while waiting for a mutual aid truck, and a Quint can get an elevated master stream on the fire much quicker. Also, the Quint will probaly be able to get to the front of the building and setup much quicker. (Ideally)

Altough I disagree with uneccesary spending, Katonah has a valid case for everything they've asked for. (That's my opinion, only)

spin_the_wheel likes this

Updated:

The floor of the engine room wouldn’t wobble when the big tanker rolls out to an emergency, and volunteers would be better trained to escape from an upper floor window on a rope under a $2.5 million plan to renovate the Katonah firehouse.Plans to pour a new engine room floor in the 1958 firehouse and to build a training center in the back of the property with a three-story drill tower would need the approval of voters in the Katonah fire district who pay taxes each year to support the all-volunteer operation.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120408/NEWS02/304080058/Katonah-district-seeks-2-5M-firehouse-renovation?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s