Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ailc307

Mayor letting the newspaper reporter sit in on a reprimand!

13 posts in this topic

Myself and the mayor had some disagreements in reference to spending and a new response policy that he was putting into place in which the police would respond first and let dispatch know the situation. It didn't set well with me and in a private meeting in which the mayor ask for my resignation, he allowed the reporter from the local newspaper to sit in the meeting,The meeting was quoted word for word in the next edition of newspaper. What do you guys think? Has this happen to anyone else, how do you feel about the press setting in.

That's messed up, good luck with whatever comes next

x129K likes this

Myself and the mayor had some disagreements in reference to spending and a new response policy that he was putting into place in which the police would respond first and let dispatch know the situation. It didn't set well with me and in a private meeting in which the mayor ask for my resignation, he allowed the reporter from the local newspaper to sit in the meeting,The meeting was quoted word for word in the next edition of newspaper. What do you guys think? Has this happen to anyone else, how do you feel about the press setting in.

Are you part of a union? If not, you may have to shell out of pocket to get a lawyer, because personnel matters (at least the kind you described here) are generally materially non-public information.

Union or not I never would have sat down for the meeting with a reporter in the room.

On the plus side, the mayor is sticking his neck out with a "check and advise" policy (for fire or EMS, doesn't matter) and if it's reported in the paper that he's the person behind it, he's going to come out looking bad when it goes south.

Sorry you got stuck in that mess. I hope you didn't give him your resignation and you fight for yourself and what's right! Good luck!

I have not and will not give him my resignation. I think when he allowed the reporter in, I was in so mug shock that I couldn't do anything.

Union or not, I think you need to consult a labor attorney immediately! The media has absolutely no business being involved in personnel discussions and this situation could very well be an unfair labor practice.

JetPhoto likes this

Downright rude for the mayor to invite a member of the press!!! The breach of privacy in discussing items of public concern puts the press source in a unenviable position.The aggrevied party could

sue him for privacy issues as well as the Mayor for having him in the room to begin with.

Is this the norm in your part of the country? Does the press have such free access normally?

Are you part of a union? If not, you may have to shell out of pocket to get a lawyer, because personnel matters (at least the kind you described here) are generally materially non-public information.

Maybe in New York. Down south, things are often very different then what we're accustomed to. The profile says "Asst Chief". That may mean management-confidential serving at the pleasure of the chief executive and consequently having little job protection and little say in the matter.

I have not and will not give him my resignation. I think when he allowed the reporter in, I was in so mug shock that I couldn't do anything.

So, you didn't object at the time? Depending on the laws of your State, that could be interpreted as consenting to the presence of a third party, in this case, a reporter.

Union or not, I think you need to consult a labor attorney immediately! The media has absolutely no business being involved in personnel discussions and this situation could very well be an unfair labor practice.

Again, could be very different in that part of the country.

Downright rude for the mayor to invite a member of the press!!! The breach of privacy in discussing items of public concern puts the press source in a unenviable position.The aggrevied party could

sue him for privacy issues as well as the Mayor for having him in the room to begin with.

Rude, yes. But, sue for what?

helicopper likes this

I guess I need to updatmy profile. I became chief January

1st 2011. Thanks for all the info guys.

I guess I need to updatmy profile. I became chief January

1st 2011. Thanks for all the info guys.

OK that fills in a piece of the puzzle. When did this policy go into effect, what prompted it? Was there prior discussion with the former Chief about it. Is your department fully volunteer, Paid, combination? Is your department managed by the city/town or is this a separate district /fire protection area? Please help us understand the area you are in.

The new response policy came into effect when myself and my Chief of Operations went and asked for 2 paid members. We are a small town run by Mayor/Council form of government, running about 500 calls a year.

x129K likes this

I wonder how good the town residents would feel knowing that when they call the fire department, they'll get a police officer first, ( if they're not too busy) then have to wait some more to see the red trucks only if deemed necessary~?

My point exactly! They are outraged!